This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Wisconsin Recruiting Vol. IV - It's all coming together

Back in the day, Rodentsota and Canada seemed to produce the majority of high quality players, but now the USDP and the rise of organizations like the Chicago Mission in particular have increased the talent pool south of the border. I do agree that UW needs to get the best players from where ever, and that includes Canada. I'm sure they aren't ignoring Canada, they just haven't landed anyone recently and missed on a few bigs the last few years.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by MadCityRich View Post
      2006? Hello, check your Google Calendar, it's 2018
      The birth years around 1982 - 1990 in Wisconsin produced incredible talent. Some were high school, Capitols, and other Tier 1 organIzations. Now, there are kids here and there, but nothing like the past. No debate. These latest aren't "the best". Some of the best have decommitted. Whatever happened to the pipeline we had in Western Canada? Specifically the BCHL, Penticton Vees, etc?

I'm not impressed loading the team up with Illinois and Wisconsin talent.

I hope I'm wrong, but there might be more ****ty years ahead.
      I think most teams would take Emberson, Gorniak, Miller, Turcotte and Caufield in a heart beat. I could give a rats *** where these kids come from. I hope you're wrong too...I think the future is bright.

Comment

About 30% of D1 players are Canadian. ( I actually think this is more Canadians, not less, than it was 30 years ago, but I could be wrong) While it doesn't necessarily follow that if you take the 10 best players in the league, 3 will be Canadian, (all or none obviously could be Canadian in theory) it is probably a fact that 3 or more are. While I don't agree with solo's black and white, Canadian and elite MN kids are better than everybody else statement, it does make sense that if you want the 25 best players, a handful are necessarily going to be Canadians. I just don't think we can ignore those kids and the value of establishing those pipelines into hockey hotbeds.

With the all the WI kids on the 06 team, we also had MacMurchy, Joudrey, Street, Elliot.. (is that it?) who were pretty **** important to winning. I don't care where they come from either, but the fact is that a good number do come from Canadian leagues. We do have a couple coming on the horizon, but you do wonder if we're missing out on a few top kids.
        Originally posted by WiscTJK
        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
        Originally posted by Timothy A
        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
          They need more members of the Canadian Club. Imo, they should have 5-7 guys from Canada on the team, less WI players.
          Have you seen the language test they'd have to pass????
          Way to tough, eh!

Comment

We all seem to agree that it shouldn't matter where they come from, but I feel like we (i.e. us fans discussing it) are still emphasizing it too much. When I think of where a player "comes from" in the context of on-ice performance, I think if what league(s) they were playing in before college, not their hometown. It's relevant to kids choosing where to play (and scholarship money), but their hometown is irrelevant on the "hockey side" of things.

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
              Right right. We’re recruiters now and know every player out there. It’s odd how people cannot handle even a slight criticism of their favorite team.

How about this, i’ll Take a Canadian player any day of the week over a Midwest player unless said player is an elite Minnesota prospect. That’s just like, my opinion, man. 😆

Second,...Max.
              I guess I'll make the short drive to tell Cole Caufield he can't come to UW cause he's not Canadian or an elite Minnesota prospect.

I don't understand why you have a problem with me saying recruit the elite talent regardless of where they are from. If there are elite Canadians then recruit them because they are elite, not because they are Canadian.

And don't take a crack at me for not being able to handle slight criticism of my favorite team. I was one of the first posters to criticize G20 and the theoretical drop off in coaching from Don Granato to Mark Strobel.

Originally posted by solovsfett
              Where did I comment saying someone’s opinion is wrong? We need to slow down and read every word. I’m stating my opinion and mine alone. I would like more Canadian kids on the roster.
              If you or booya want an entire line-up of WI guys or 13-14 WI players fine. That is decidedly not what I think will be successful against BU, BC, Minn, Nodak, Denver et al. And that’s my opinion only.

Salut, have a White Russian. Solo abides
              Don't put words in my mouth.

Comment

I felt bad for Grayden Daul. I generally agree with WiscDC on the matter. We get good news on Grayden (IMO) and then the rant coming of where are the Canadians. Grayden is the type of kid you want at Wisconsin with his history and family.
                gwhinwi's: Wisconsin Badgers Recruiting Spreadsheet & Individual Face-Off Statistics

EODS: De-Commit / Non-Pro Early Departure List

Comment

• Originally posted by digitalbooya View Post
                  I guess I'll make the short drive to tell Cole Caufield he can't come to UW cause he's not Canadian or an elite Minnesota prospect.

I don't understand why you have a problem with me saying recruit the elite talent regardless of where they are from. If there are elite Canadians then recruit them because they are elite, not because they are Canadian.

And don't take a crack at me for not being able to handle slight criticism of my favorite team. I was one of the first posters to criticize G20 and the theoretical drop off in coaching from Don Granato to Mark Strobel.

Don't put words in my mouth.
                  Again, I said solo abides cause you have your opinion and I have mine. I’m cool with that. I want the best players regardless of where they are from but I do feel Canada is still the place to begin the search.
                  Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WiscTJK View Post
                    I felt bad for Grayden Daul. I generally agree with WiscDC on the matter. We get good news on Grayden (IMO) and then the rant coming of where are the Canadians. Grayden is the type of kid you want at Wisconsin with his history and family.
                    Grayden is a grayt catch, we're all happy to have him. The Canadian discussion is just a filler for the deadtime between now and the time we throttle BC.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

• Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                      Again, I said solo abides cause you have your opinion and I have mine. I’m cool with that. I want the best players regardless of where they are from but I do feel Canada is still the place to begin the search.
                      See, now I agree with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        Grayden is a grayt catch, we're all happy to have him.
                        You're in mid-season form, bro'.
                        "Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser." Vince Lombardi

"License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations. Man; free to kill gophers at will. To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case, my enemy is a varmint....and a varmint will never quit...ever. They're like Viet Cong...Varmint Cong, so you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower...and that's all she wrote. Au revoir, gopher." Karl Spackler 1980

Comment

Sheet is updated.
                          Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

• Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Sheet is updated.
                            Rumor has it he's Canadian lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by DPlaya View Post
                              Rumor has it he's Canadian lol.
                              Maybe they all just say they are from the US now so they don't have to deal with passports and Visa's.
                              Wisconsin Hockey Recruiting spreadsheet (both Men's and Women's)

Comment

Originally posted by gwhinwi View Post

Sheet is updated.
                                Probably another really good get. Mann is on a star trajectory having had 33pts in 27 games as a normal-sized (which is to say, pretty darn small for HS) 14-year-old playing varsity on one of the best HS teams in WI last year. Right now I believe he's the only '03 playing up on the Team WI U16's. Kind of kid that looks to be a future USNTDP invitee if he keeps going in the same direction. He's not one of these kid's who are just physically dominating for their age and trail off when everybody catches up later, rather, he seems to be the genuine article. Will be fun to see how he continues to grow and develop.

Man, it's a long wait 'til he gets here though.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X