Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Suze View Post
    It's not carried by WCHA TV this year, someone else picked it up. Can't remember who right now. Even though UAA's games weren't on the radio, they were available through audio on the internet, and they still have a play-by-play guy. Are the Nanooks not going to have ANY play-by-play person?
    I’d assume we will have someone doing play-by-play for the WCHA webcasts.

End of an era for us, but the harsh reality is the landscape for live sports continues to change, and not always in a good way. College hockey doesn’t, in general, drive big ratings. I’d assume we would have the option to move the broadcasts back to KUAC, but the ratings probably aren’t there. Follow the money, and it’s why the sport leans more and more on online distribution where you can have more control over the costs.

I will miss listening to Bruce’s broadcast through the TuneIn radio app from the road on my Friday drive home from the office. It’s one of the things that kept me close to UAF.
    “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Re: Alaska Nanooks 2018-2019

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
      I’d assume we will have someone doing play-by-play for the WCHA webcasts.

End of an era for us, but the harsh reality is the landscape for live sports continues to change, and not always in a good way. College hockey doesn’t, in general, drive big ratings. I’d assume we would have the option to move the broadcasts back to KUAC, but the ratings probably aren’t there. Follow the money, and it’s why the sport leans more and more on online distribution where you can have more control over the costs.

I will miss listening to Bruce’s broadcast through the TuneIn radio app from the road on my Friday drive home from the office. It’s one of the things that kept me close to UAF.
      I totally understand what you are saying. Many times we listened to the games through Kurt on the radio … he brought them to life for us. So sad to not have radio any longer.
      Originally Posted by aparch
      I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

I totally understand what you are saying. Many times we listened to the games through Kurt on the radio … he brought them to life for us. So sad to not have radio any longer.
        Pretty lengthy article in the News Miner about Bruce moving on, as well as Nanook hockey no longer being on the radio.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_...24180c1fb.html
        “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

Comment

Pretty lengthy article in the News Miner about Bruce moving on, as well as Nanook hockey no longer being on the radio.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf_...24180c1fb.html
          If you go to Bruce's facebook page it sounds like they are trying to get the money for him to continue on.
          Originally Posted by aparch
          I love the "UA_" comment. When I see it, I think of re-runs of Match Game, and Gene Rayburn going "U, A, Blank... UA blank"

From ADN:

"According to NCAA, the (UAF) hockey team used ineligible players in every game played from the 2007-08 season to the 2010-11 season. Over that span, the wins and ties will all become losses. 4 wins and 2 ties came against rival UAA".

UAF is 56-86-12 vs. UAA.

Comment

If you go to Bruce's facebook page it sounds like they are trying to get the money for him to continue on.
            mmf would do it for 1/2...........
            Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
            UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Originally posted by Alaska Hockey View Post
              mmf would do it for 1/2...........
              The FCC would shut us down two minutes into the first period against UAA.

Comment

Lengthy article in the News Miner about the AD saga hopefully coming to an end. Also a blurb about Largen hiring a second assistant coach.

http://www.newsminer.com/sports/uaf-...4768d36ad.html

Comment

Sterling Steward named AD.

Comment

While I hope I am proven wrong, I can’t help but feel this is a terrible hire. I went to his public meet and greet and came away shaking my head. Not surprisingly, this hiring processed was a bungled mess. But this decision has been made and it’s too late to change anything. So I wish him the best of luck. But I sure hope the chain of command (such that it is) gets an earful regarding this hire, this process, and other recent hiring debacles. I am less than impressed with our Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.

It would be hard to come up with a better passive/aggressive approach to shutter UAF athletics within the next few years than what is happening now. IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by mmf View Post
                      While I hope I am proven wrong, I can’t help but feel this is a terrible hire. I went to his public meet and greet and came away shaking my head. Not surprisingly, this hiring processed was a bungled mess. But this decision has been made and it’s too late to change anything. So I wish him the best of luck. But I sure hope the chain of command (such that it is) gets an earful regarding this hire, this process, and other recent hiring debacles. I am less than impressed with our Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs.

It would be hard to come up with a better passive/aggressive approach to shutter UAF athletics within the next few years than what is happening now. IMHO.
                      Looking on the bright side, our tradition of hiring AD’s with the same initials continues.

Comment

And just like that...nice hire for Largen.

https://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/...ant-coach.aspx

Comment

And just like that...nice hire for Largen.

https://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/...ant-coach.aspx
                          Well, at least someone got a coach from DU.
                          Just to be clear. My disinterest in this team became of the Uni's disinterest. Without the success of the hockey team, the other teams would not be where they are. Way to pay back the hockey team. **** UAA.

Comment

Originally posted by AKSWF View Post
                            Well, at least someone got a coach from DU.
                            Well, they also have two of our former head coaches there.

Comment

Annual blue/gold game is just over a week away! So ready for hockey to start!!

Comment

Bruce Cech back on the radio call this season via KSUA. https://alaskananooks.com/news/2018/...19-season.aspx

Comment

Working...
                                X