Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 95

Thread: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

  1. #61
    Go Wick!
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Essex Junction, Vermont
    Posts
    323

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Quote Originally Posted by 17'sfanNU View Post
    Hope you are feeling "up and about" well soon. Florida has been dry and warm during the day, cooling down nicely when the sun goes down. We're getting some rain today which we need. What area are you from in Northern NY? I am originally from Plattsburgh, and used to be a Cardinal Hockey fan until I moved to Central Vermont and saw the Cadets play the Cards. I have been Maroon and Gold since- better coach-better players-better discipline=better hockey!

    As for Norwich, I know hoping to at least tie Hobart maybe asking too much, I agree with Prof, as long as they play well, I will be pleased.
    Hoping for a tie???

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    57

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    I’d like to hear from Flint.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,628
    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    I’d like to hear from Flint.
    Flint is on a small planet in the Omega system.

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    141

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    I’d like to hear from Flint.
    What would you like to hear? My hopes for the weekend?

  5. #65
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    What would you like to hear? My hopes for the weekend?
    Yes, of course. You’re so much closer to the program than others. As always, would appreciate your insight, etc.

  6. #66
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    141

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    Yes, of course. You’re so much closer to the program than others. As always, would appreciate your insight, etc.
    If we're being totally honest, I don't care about the results this weekend. I want to see the team play well. If they play well this weekend, I'll feel really good about where they're headed. Coach Cam Ellsworth: "I'm not worried about being the best team in November. I want to be the best team we can be in February and March".

    I think he's on to something. Having a chance to interact with him, I can see how how the philosophy came with him from Lowell. I'm a big Hockey East guy, and I watched their evolution. I think that's why I was so pumped when we hired Cam.

    I could go on and on about the changes, philosophy, etc. But I won't. Haha.

    Finally, at the end of the day, I anticipate a win over Skidmore and a battle with Hobart. Contrary to the pollsters, these are still the two best teams in the league. I think the Cadets pull out a weekend sweep, and I think there might be one or two "unlikely" heroes.

    Great weekend to be in Northfield, by the way. Hockey vs. Skidmore tonight. Football at home vs. 7-1 MIT tomorrow at noon, followed by the hockey game vs. Hobart. Go Cadets!

  7. #67
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,130

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    1-0 Norwich after 2 periods. cadets absolutely dominated first 15 minutes of 2nd period but Skidmore came on very strong in the last five minutes and nearly got the equalizer.

    Norwich goal was a pretty backdoor pass from Williams to Jackson for the tap-in goal on the power play.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    569

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Quote Originally Posted by Norwich59 View Post
    Hoping for a tie???
    Uh-oh. '59 is triggered.
    Norwich '13

    2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    569

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post

    I think he's on to something. Having a chance to interact with him, I can see how how the philosophy came with him from Lowell. I'm a big Hockey East guy, and I watched their evolution. I think that's why I was so pumped when we hired Cam.

    I could go on and on about the changes, philosophy, etc. But I won't. Haha.
    I wouldn't mind if you did.

    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    1-0 Norwich after 2 periods. cadets absolutely dominated first 15 minutes of 2nd period but Skidmore came on very strong in the last five minutes and nearly got the equalizer.

    Norwich goal was a pretty backdoor pass from Williams to Jackson for the tap-in goal on the power play.
    Seemed like the Cadets let their guard down a bit in the last 5 minutes after dominating the first 15. Aubrun has been good when needed. It's nice to see a kid get a chance after patiently waiting his turn.

    NU has dominated for the most part. But that's easier to do when you've been on the power-play for seemingly half the game. Hopefully they can start cashing-in on some of these chances.
    Norwich '13

    2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

  10. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    569

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Skidmore takes advantage of their powerplay. We're tied 1-1 with 15:00 to go.
    Norwich '13

    2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    West Texas
    Posts
    569

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    2-1 OT win. Congrats to Coach Ellsworth for his first win in the Maroon and Gold!
    Norwich '13

    2017-2018 Last Person Standing Champion

  12. #72
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    57

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Flint, I missed tonight’s injury report. #5, 22, 24, 26 healing, among others? How did the play look rinkside?

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by Bog Hockey View Post
    Flint, I missed tonight’s injury report. #5, 22, 24, 26 healing, among others? How did the play look rinkside?
    Unfortunately, I wasn’t rinkside tonight. A tiny human really wanted Dad to stay home. But, we watched the stream. Like everyone else, I think Norwich carried the play most of the night. Seemed to lag in the end of the second, and it carried over to start the third. Somewhat concerned with the inability to capitalize on opportunities and put the puck in the net, but I think as time goes on, lines will become more clear, and the boys will be just fine. Getting Cowlthorpe back will be big; kid does a bit of everything.

    I was pleased to the the defense play well without Erickson. Cam Beecy continues to make the most of every chance he gets. George referenced it on the broadcast, and I can confirm firsthand: no one works harder in the weight room than Beecy.

    As I alluded to earlier, Coach Ellsworth is more focused on the process than the result. He doesn’t talk about winning games. He talks about winning races to the puck, winning one on one battles, wearing people down and finishing them late. He believes wins are a by product of those things, and I agree with him.

    I think this is going to be a really enjoyable team to support all season.

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post
    Unfortunately, I wasn’t rinkside tonight. A tiny human really wanted Dad to stay home. But, we watched the stream. Like everyone else, I think Norwich carried the play most of the night. Seemed to lag in the end of the second, and it carried over to start the third. Somewhat concerned with the inability to capitalize on opportunities and put the puck in the net, but I think as time goes on, lines will become more clear, and the boys will be just fine. Getting Cowlthorpe back will be big; kid does a bit of everything.

    I was pleased to the the defense play well without Erickson. Cam Beecy continues to make the most of every chance he gets. George referenced it on the broadcast, and I can confirm firsthand: no one works harder in the weight room than Beecy.

    As I alluded to earlier, Coach Ellsworth is more focused on the process than the result. He doesn’t talk about winning games. He talks about winning races to the puck, winning one on one battles, wearing people down and finishing them late. He believes wins are a by product of those things, and I agree with him.

    I think this is going to be a really enjoyable team to support all season.
    Much appreciated - thanks. Maybe you’ll make today’s game.

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by KrbFlint View Post

    Finally, at the end of the day, I anticipate a win over Skidmore and a battle with Hobart. Contrary to the pollsters, these are still the two best teams in the league. I think the Cadets pull out a weekend sweep, and I think there might be one or two "unlikely" heroes.
    Thanks to a Cam Beecy assist on a game winner, and D Robby’s goal today; I kinda nailed this prediction 🤣

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    141

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Waited a looooonnnggggg time for that Win. Great game for the boys and a refreshing win for all Norwich supporters. Let’s go!

  17. #77
    Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Northfield, VT
    Posts
    16,130

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    16 players with points through 3 games. No one with more than 2 points...no one with more than one goal.

    #balance
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

  18. #78
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Randolph, VT
    Posts
    141
    Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
    16 players with points through 3 games. No one with more than 2 points...no one with more than one goal.

    #balance
    That’s one thing I noticed tonight. Still looking for a larger sample size to really see what this team is made of but it definitely feels like a much more balanced team to me.

  19. #79
    Colorado Cadets Fan
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Lafayette, CO
    Posts
    9,606

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    Very pleased with what I saw this weekend. It looks like the defense was a bit ahead of the offense for most of the weekend until they got rolling about half way through the second today (up until that point, I envisioned another game which goals were hard to find. Process looks good, but concerned about the Downs penalty. Box score says it was a game misconduct and not a disqualification, so he should be okay to play next week.
    Last edited by NUProf; 11-03-2018 at 09:02 PM.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

  20. #80
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 1999
    Location
    Burlington, Vermont,USA
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: Norwich 2018-19 Season Thread: The Ellsworth Era begins

    It is a long season and there will be ups and downs with this young team, but the Hobart win shows how good this group can be. That Gorilla is off their backs ... now on to Boston and the Beacons/Beavers doubleheader this weekend.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •