Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    The entire House is up every two years. There's no wrong places or right places. The Senate is different as all the seats aren't up every time.
    You know what I mean...the challengers the GOP have to unseat Dems suck and the new Dems seem to be running well poll wise so they should beat incumbents. The Dems are going to win a bunch and hold enough to gain power in the House.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Re: 115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      You know what I mean...the challengers the GOP have to unseat Dems suck and the new Dems seem to be running well poll wise so they should beat incumbents. The Dems are going to win a bunch and hold enough to gain power in the House.
      I think the main dynamic has been that a lot of Republicans "retired" this cycle because they knew they had no shot running this time around.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        So you are predicting what almost everyone else is including the pollsters and stats guys...man going hard on a limb there

And on the topic of predicting I told you about three weeks before the theoretically the bees would start saying the Dems might lose. Journalism 101 stuff there. Got to make it look close to keep people interested and watching.
        Yup. Putting aside my utter disgust with all things Republican, you have to admire the narrative they created regarding Kavanaugh and how they got the story into the mainstream media.

Immediately after Kavanaugh's confirmation, GOP strategists starting pimping the idea that Kavanaugh was riling up the base. They produced several internal and Fox News polls which coincidentally of course showed the same thing. All GOP leaders from Itch to McCarthy to "anonymous sources" all stuck to the talking points. Of course, there is no way to gauge the SCOTUS fight's effect on the electorate the day after confirmation but put that aside for a moment.

Mainstream media, who lets face it tend to be cowards when it comes to questioning Republicans, dutifully report this out. Pollsters not wanting to be caught flat footed now also start adjusting their likely voter models to include more Republicans and viola! A narrative suddenly becomes gospel and Scoobs starts salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

One week later, CNN releases a poll showing the exact opposite. As in the Kavanaugh fight actually energized people who oppose him more than people who like him. This makes sense as to use an analogy you may be upset with a bad call in a championship game, but if your team ultimate wins how upset are you after the game is over? Probably not very much as opposed to if your team had lost.

So, what's the state of the House and Senate? GOP has triaged about 15 races by most accounts. They expect to get killed in PA due to redistricting and have blown off a variety of seats from NJ to VA to KS to CO and some others in between. So, in order to hold onto the House they pretty much need to run the table in about every one of the 60 or so toss up races that are left. Is that possible? Sure. Is it likely given that it means a strong GOP performance in places like CA, WA, NJ, NY, and IL? We'll find out soon enough.

Senate was always a long shot but really aside from Heitkamp how are the Dems in any worse position than last month? Bredesen is back to tied in two independent polls in TN and Manchin, Tester and inexplicably Donnelly are leading their races. A very important point was made recently about how the Dems need to limit the damage this year in order to be able to take over after 2020. If they can break even this year that's not bad at all.
        Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
          Yup. Putting aside my utter disgust with all things Republican, you have to admire the narrative they created regarding Kavanaugh and how they got the story into the mainstream media.

Immediately after Kavanaugh's confirmation, GOP strategists starting pimping the idea that Kavanaugh was riling up the base. They produced several internal and Fox News polls which coincidentally of course showed the same thing. All GOP leaders from Itch to McCarthy to "anonymous sources" all stuck to the talking points. Of course, there is no way to gauge the SCOTUS fight's effect on the electorate the day after confirmation but put that aside for a moment.

Mainstream media, who lets face it tend to be cowards when it comes to questioning Republicans, dutifully report this out. Pollsters not wanting to be caught flat footed now also start adjusting their likely voter models to include more Republicans and viola! A narrative suddenly becomes gospel and Scoobs starts salivating like Pavlov's dogs.

One week later, CNN releases a poll showing the exact opposite. As in the Kavanaugh fight actually energized people who oppose him more than people who like him. This makes sense as to use an analogy you may be upset with a bad call in a championship game, but if your team ultimate wins how upset are you after the game is over? Probably not very much as opposed to if your team had lost.

So, what's the state of the House and Senate? GOP has triaged about 15 races by most accounts. They expect to get killed in PA due to redistricting and have blown off a variety of seats from NJ to VA to KS to CO and some others in between. So, in order to hold onto the House they pretty much need to run the table in about every one of the 60 or so toss up races that are left. Is that possible? Sure. Is it likely given that it means a strong GOP performance in places like CA, WA, NJ, NY, and IL? We'll find out soon enough.

Senate was always a long shot but really aside from Heitkamp how are the Dems in any worse position than last month? Bredesen is back to tied in two independent polls in TN and Manchin, Tester and inexplicably Donnelly are leading their races. A very important point was made recently about how the Dems need to limit the damage this year in order to be able to take over after 2020. If they can break even this year that's not bad at all.
          Both the Senate and the House should be Dem by now because of what Turtle Boy said. Somehow him coming out and saying he wants more tax cuts for the rich and he wants to destroy SS, Medicare, and Medicaid isn't enough? Really? How ****ing stupid are people?
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Both the Senate and the House should be Dem by now because of what Turtle Boy said. Somehow him coming out and saying he wants more tax cuts for the rich and he wants to destroy SS, Medicare, and Medicaid isn't enough? Really? How ****ing stupid are people?
            Very. Very, very stupid.

Although I continue to underestimate the stupidity of the American people, I am constantly reminded. Fox News does a great job of keeping the masses stupid and angry. The worst part is the people I know and love that buy the bs the republicans sell.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

Right now 538 has the GOP's chances of holding the senate at a recent high. Yet it has the Dem's chances of taking the house at a recent high. So right now, no apparent big news.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                Very. Very, very stupid.

Although I continue to underestimate the stupidity of the American people, I am constantly reminded. Fox News does a great job of keeping the masses stupid and angry. The worst part is the people I know and love that buy the bs the republicans sell.
                I still don't get it. I watch it once in a while and I listen to Rush as I did today and you would have to be a complete moron to fall for that ****.

Comment

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...michigan-races

A political action committee run by Republican women opposed to Donald Trump is getting involved in Michigan's most competitive Congressional races — and supporting the Democrat candidates.

Republican Women for Progress PAC tells Metro Times it has taken out $50,000 television ad buys in Michigan's 11th and 8th Congressional District races. Both races feature a moderate Democrat against a Trump-aligned Republican. In MI-11, Democrat Haley Stevens is up against Republican Lena Epstein, the former Michigan chair for the Trump campaign. In MI-08, Elissa Slotkin is trying to unseat incumbent Rep. Mike Bishop.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                  iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                  gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                  Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                  Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                  TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                  DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                    Not really. GOP voters are driven by racial resentment. If that's your #1 concern, it crowds out all else. I'd also add that for the overwhelmingly old population that makes up the vast majority of the GOP base, they don't seriously think their own SS or Medicare is going to get cut. I doubt they give a rat's *** if the people who come after them get cut as Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation before them are the most whiny narcissistic generations this country has ever produced.
                    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Not really. GOP voters are driven by racial resentment. If that's your #1 concern, it crowds out all else. I'd also add that for the overwhelmingly old population that makes up the vast majority of the GOP base, they don't seriously think their own SS or Medicare is going to get cut. I doubt they give a rat's *** if the people who come after them get cut as Baby Boomers and the Silent Generation before them are the most whiny narcissistic generations this country has ever produced.
                      So, basically we're back to the 60's. Great.

Comment

I'm not knocking it at all, but just to be clear, these aren't the "Republican Women" most are thinking of when they see that phrase. This PAC was previously the Republican Women for Hillary PAC. It's kind of the Diamond and Silk of the left. Or a better analogy is maybe the New Alex P Keaton's. Alex, as we know, grew up with liberal hippie parents but came of age during the "Reagan Revolution" causing him to abandon his parent's bell bottoms and patchouli ways in favor of button-downs and William F. Buckley. These young ladies who probably had parents like Alex are kinda the same except replace Reagan with Obama, and Buckley with Samantha Bee.
                        Originally posted by WiscTJK
                        I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                        Originally posted by Timothy A
                        Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

So, basically we're back to the 60's. Great.
                          Made America great again
                          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Heard on a cable news program for the first time this fall that the Democrats may not win the House. I said a month ago during Kavanaugh something had changed.
                            538 has the Dems with an 80-85% chance of winning the house.

That's the same as rolling a die and winning if anything other than a 1 rolls.

I'll take those odds.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I'm not knocking it at all, but just to be clear, these aren't the "Republican Women" most are thinking of when they see that phrase. This PAC was previously the Republican Women for Hillary PAC. It's kind of the Diamond and Silk of the left. Or a better analogy is maybe the New Alex P Keaton's. Alex, as we know, grew up with liberal hippie parents but came of age during the "Reagan Revolution" causing him to abandon his parent's bell bottoms and patchouli ways in favor of button-downs and William F. Buckley. These young ladies who probably had parents like Alex are kinda the same except replace Reagan with Obama, and Buckley with Samantha Bee.
                              They shave their box though, right?

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                                538 has the Dems with an 80-85% chance of winning the house.

That's the same as rolling a die and winning if anything other than a 1 rolls.

I'll take those odds.
                                yah.... give tD something to run against??

Comment

Working...
                                X