Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
    I saw her speak the other day...something is different about her. I have heard her a dozen times...this time she wasnt just her normal placating self. She was speaking as a leader. (Angie Craig, Tina Smith and Tim Walz also spoke) She was juiced up and I gotta say, I think she is gearing up for something bigger. And for the first time, I think she might actually be in the right place to do it.
    She really comes across as not being insane to almost everyone. Which is a pretty good start in national politics these days.
    Originally posted by WiscTJK
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Originally posted by Timothy A
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
      Like I said, being technically correct is useless in politics. Largely because it's so easy to paint as being disingenuous.

Does anybody care that Cherokee McCarthy, wasn't actually Cherokee McCarthy himself, but instead it was his wife's brother that made the claims for a company McCarthy and his wife had no stake in? Of course not. Nobody cares. That's generally how politics work, especially in campaign season.
      What claim did Warren make that would make her only "technically" correct as opposed to simply, "correct"? Is it really all about her claim from decades ago that she was an "other" rather than anything she's claimed since then?
      Last edited by GrinCDXX; 10-16-2018, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
        She started calling herself Pocahontas 8 or so years back?

She said she has some distant blood, that like a great-great-gma was part Cherokee. This pretty much places it that far back and says the same thing.
        No...she is the one that made it worse by trying to prove the joke wrong.

Question, how often was this discussed previous to her putting this out there? Usually it was a one line comment and nothing else. (usually by our moron President) Now she is under siege over it. That isnt because Trump said something, it is because she wanted to get back at him. Well how did that work out for her? Meanwhile the same people who believed she was lying before still do and the Natives didnt even back her.

But please, tell me how she is in a better position now than she was a week ago because of this? She defended herself and it blew up in her face. Now her name is being dragged through more mud and she is the cause of it whether fair or not.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
          What claim did Warren make that would make her only "technically" correct as opposed to simply, "correct"?
          Just read Handy's posts, because Handy is 100% right on this subject.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            She's not being vilified for the act of having a DNA test done. Those are great. I enjoy hearing the results from friends who have done that.

She's being vilified for being a phony.

I read an article that mentioned that apparently on some admissions application or something the question regarding race was limited to "white, black, mexican, asian and other." This was back in the 1960's or 1070's, obviously.

She apparently checked "other." I mean, c'mon. Look in a farking mirror. You are 2047/2048 white and you check "other?" You are a phony when you do that. Or you have some real issues.
            If it was the 60's and pre civil rights era, so called "one drop" rules were likely still around.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
              Just read Handy's posts, because Handy is 100% right on this subject.
              I agree. But none of it as far as I can tell addresses my question.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Question, how often was this discussed previous to her putting this out there? Usually it was a one line comment and nothing else.
                It was the response literally every time she would try to say something of substance. It got old real quick.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I read an article that mentioned that apparently on some admissions application or something the question regarding race was limited to "white, black, mexican, asian and other." This was back in the 1960's or 1070's, obviously.
                  Link?

KDR

gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                    Hatch wouldn't take the bait because their side doesn't get politically out-maneuvered on everything like the dems have for the last 40 years or so.
                    See...here is something that actually matters.
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      If it was the 60's and pre civil rights era, so called "one drop" rules were likely still around.
                      Also why does anyone care about what she selected on an application in the 60's (assuming that's even true)?

Comment

Also it's BS: https://www.cnn.com/2016/06/29/polit...tas/index.html

Did it play a role in her career?
                        Harvard Law School in the 1990s touted Warren, then a professor in Cambridge, as being "Native American." They singled her out, Warren later acknowledged, because she had listed herself as a minority in an Association of American Law Schools directory. Critics note that she had not done that in her student applications and during her time as a teacher at the University of Texas.
                        Warren maintains she never furthered her career by using her heritage to gain advantage, and an in-depth investigation by the Boston Globe, published on September 1, found the same.
                        "At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession," the report read, "the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman."

KDR

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          Link?
                          I think it was this article, although it looks like the application was from 1978.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/opini...tby/index.html
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                            Does Warren claim that she filled these forms out that way because of the one drop rule? That is something I haven't heard.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              I think it was this article, although it looks like the application was from 1978.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/15/opini...tby/index.html
                              All I see relevant is this:

How absurd, then, that Warren was ever faced with an option to define herself as anything so simple as either "Native American" or "white." A number of the forms Warren has filled in over the course of her career appear to have had very limited options -- in one case in 1978, Warren rightly described herself as "other" when the only other possibilities available were "black," "Oriental" and "Mexican-American." Demographic forms are getting better at recognizing mixed identities as a range of possible options, but slowly.
                              Tells me nothing about what the form was, or what it intended purpose was, or whether it could have been remotely used to help someone get ahead unfairly. I mean, I'm honestly curious what these were; if they were an actual application for law school then that's using it to get ahead and that's one thing; if it's some questionaire for a faculty facebook then that's another. Other stories are much clearer on it not being for an application for any position or the like.

KDR

Comment

Well, you can kiss my SS and Medicare goodbye.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ising-deficits

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell on Tuesday blamed rising federal deficits and debt on a bipartisan unwillingness to contain spending on Medicare, Medicaid and Social Security, and said he sees little chance of a major deficit reduction deal while Republicans control Congress and the White House.

"It’s disappointing but it’s not a Republican problem," McConnell said in an interview with Bloomberg News when asked about the rising deficits and debt. "It’s a bipartisan problem: Unwillingness to address the real drivers of the debt by doing anything to adjust those programs to the demographics of America in the future."
                                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Working...
                                X