Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
    They're blowing it by making this a big news story three weeks before the election. The reason the House is tilting while the Senate isn't is because House candidates are ignoring stupid crap like this and concentrating on local issues, health care and being a blocker to complete GOP control without making it about Trump openly.
    Depends on how well that works. All races have been nationalized since social media and it's pretty hard to put that genie back in the bottle.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
      Under the circumstances, I can see why she felt she had to hire a geneticist with first rate credentials. And weren't the results entirely consistent with her claim that a great great grandmother was part native?
      Yeah, maybe. Although I think the genetics report gave a range of 6-10 generations ago, with 8 as the most likely spot. Using all of my fingers on one hand, and the thumb, by my calculations the "great, great grandmother" is still only 5 generations.

But again, that really isn't my point. My point has been the phoniness and insulting nature of someone like Warren, even with her possible 1/2048 NA heritage, claiming some status with that group of minorities. This opinion piece summarizes that far better than I ever could. He perfectly expresses the annoyance that I think Native Americans must feel when Warren, trying to reach some objective, pretends like she was in the group all along. That's the phoniness I'm talking about.
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        Yeah, maybe. Although I think the genetics report gave a range of 6-10 generations ago, with 8 as the most likely spot. Using all of my fingers on one hand, and the thumb, by my calculations the "great, great grandmother" is still only 5 generations.

But again, that really isn't my point. My point has been the phoniness and insulting nature of someone like Warren, even with her possible 1/2048 NA heritage, claiming some status with that group of minorities. This opinion piece summarizes that far better than I ever could. He perfectly expresses the annoyance that I think Native Americans must feel when Warren, trying to reach some objective, pretends like she was in the group all along. That's the phoniness I'm talking about.
        I find it interesting that were all enjoying tracing our lineage. There's ancestry.com. There's the DNA tests that you can send out for. Someone did it on my paternal grandfather's side and wrote two books about it. It's quite the rage in America. One of those DNA tests actually cleared up a mystery in my family on my maternal grandfather's side. Yet, since Elizabeth Warren has done hers in public she is being vilified for it.

Pretty ****ing sad if you ask me. But, that's America. The land of the gotcha. Who owned who in the conversation.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          I find it interesting that were all enjoying tracing our lineage. There's ancestry.com. There's the DNA tests that you can send out for. Someone did it on my paternal grandfather's side and wrote two books about it. It's quite the rage in America. One of those DNA tests actually cleared up a mystery in my family on my maternal grandfather's side. Yet, since Elizabeth Warren has done hers in public she is being vilified for it.

Pretty ****ing sad if you ask me. But, that's America. The land of the gotcha. Who owned who in the conversation.
          She's not being vilified for the act of having a DNA test done. Those are great. I enjoy hearing the results from friends who have done that.

She's being vilified for being a phony.

I read an article that mentioned that apparently on some admissions application or something the question regarding race was limited to "white, black, mexican, asian and other." This was back in the 1960's or 1070's, obviously.

She apparently checked "other." I mean, c'mon. Look in a farking mirror. You are 2047/2048 white and you check "other?" You are a phony when you do that. Or you have some real issues.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Exactly. She had family stories passed down of a native ancestor. Who wouldn't be proud of that? Ok, maybe racist rednecks wouldn't.

I like to claim I'm part witch, as 16 generations ago I have ancestors that were part of the witch trials (actually, on both sides....witches and judges). It's part of my family's story, and part of who I am, even if 16 generations ago makes me 1/65,536 witch. I'm also 1/262,144 governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
              Exactly. She had family stories passed down of a native ancestor. Who wouldn't be proud of that? Ok, maybe racist rednecks wouldn't.

I like to claim I'm part witch, as 16 generations ago I have ancestors that were part of the witch trials (actually, on both sides....witches and judges). It's part of my family's story, and part of who I am, even if 16 generations ago makes me 1/65,536 witch. I'm also 1/262,144 governor of Massachusetts Bay Colony.
              You always were a black sheep of our family.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

She's not being vilified for the act of having a DNA test done. Those are great. I enjoy hearing the results from friends who have done that.

She's being vilified for being a phony.

I read an article that mentioned that apparently on some admissions application or something the question regarding race was limited to "white, black, mexican, asian and other." This was back in the 1960's or 1070's, obviously.

She apparently checked "other." I mean, c'mon. Look in a farking mirror. You are 2047/2048 white and you check "other?" You are a phony when you do that. Or you have some real issues.
                There seems to be a lot of articles on Tribe status. That appears to be what Trump is hanging his hat on. She never claimed that but that's an easy way for Trump to get out of it and win the argument. And he has. Cause that's all anyone will care about now.

Pretty sad if you ask me.

My family used to think it had Native American heritage. That's what the recent DNA test disproved. We never claimed tribe status. I see some similarities with Warren there but alas it doesn't matter. I guess I never didn't check "white" on anything. Good on me I guess.

Comment

Being "technically right" on the internet may often get you some sort of begrudging pass, but being "technically right" in politics is much worse than just being totally wrong in the first place. And the very best Sen. Warren could say is that she was "technically right"... probably...

It was 100% predictable that NA's would disavow Warren's DNA testing as it's been a huge controversy with tribes for years. It's just an astonishing political mistake for someone as astute as Sen. Warren, a huge figure in national Democratic politics, to bring her only real personal controversy to the forefront 3 weeks before national elections. I can't fathom what she was possibly thinking the reaction was going to be? And I don't mean the Trumpies reaction, but the average Joe swing voter who took a flyer on Trump and giggled all the way home from the polls. They need that voter back and Sen Warren is seen by the average Jane as going "See? I told you I was a Cherokee!" while waving around evidence that probably 1 of her nearest 200 to 2000 ancestors was somewhat likely to be a Native American. It doesn't matter if that's a true reflection of events, it's optically terrible.
                  Originally posted by WiscTJK
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                  Originally posted by Timothy A
                  Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                    Being "technically right" on the internet may often get you some sort of begrudging pass, but being "technically right" in politics is much worse than just being totally wrong in the first place. And the very best Sen. Warren could say is that she was "technically right"... probably...

It was 100% predictable that NA's would disavow Warren's DNA testing as it's been a huge controversy with tribes for years. It's just an astonishing political mistake for someone as astute as Sen. Warren, a huge figure in national Democratic politics, to bring her only real personal controversy to the forefront 3 weeks before national elections. I can't fathom what she was possibly thinking the reaction was going to be? And I don't mean the Trumpies reaction, but the average Joe swing voter who took a flyer on Trump and giggled all the way home from the polls. They need that voter back and Sen Warren is seen by the average Jane as going "See? I told you I was a Cherokee!" while waving around evidence that probably 1 of her nearest 200 to 2000 ancestors was somewhat likely to be a Native American. It doesn't matter if that's a true reflection of events, it's optically terrible.
                    Pretty much can't disagree with you here. If Warren aspired to higher office that is over now.

Comment

I dont get why this was a story before and I still dont now. It wont make a lick of difference for anyone about anything. If she never got any benefit from it who the frick cares?

Focus on the people abusing this crap.

And she should just shut up about it.
                      Last edited by Handyman; 10-16-2018, 08:55 AM.
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        I dont get why this was a story before and I still dont now. It wont make a lick of difference for anyone about anything.
                        Unfortunately I think this would be a story for anyone in politics on the Democratic side. McCarthy's story (which is real and valid) will get zero traction.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I dont get why this was a story before and I still dont now. It wont make a lick of difference for anyone about anything. If she never got any benefit from it who the frick cares?

Focus on the people abusing this crap.

And she should just shut up about it.
                          Too late now. Trump suckered her and she took the bait.

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Heathen! Technically correct is the best kind of correct.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Too late now. Trump suckered her and she took the bait.
                              She probably assumed that the brand new story of POTUS weaseling his way out of donating to a charity would be a bigger deal than re litigating her decades old decision to check "other". She forgot what an insane country we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                                She probably assumed that the brand new story of POTUS weaseling his way out of donating to a charity would be a bigger deal than re litigating her decades old decision to check "other". She forgot what an insane country we live in.
                                Smart people can be so dumb by thinking the average person in this country is smart.
                                Code:
                                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                                Originally posted by SanTropez
                                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                                Originally posted by Kepler
                                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Working...
                                X