Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 115th Congress the final chapter: And Gerry Mander as the Speaker.

Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
    For God's sake, why?
    My gf was there too...I stayed home
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
      For God's sake, why?
      Seriously.

Comment

Because not everyone likes the things you like.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          That's the same reaction I had - his following equivocation notwithstanding. To claim the Kavanaugh fiasco was a repeat of events going back centuries flies in the face of the history of SCOTUS nominations and their vetting in front of Congress. Never mind the seriousness of why there was a supposed, "no matter what opposition", the hangover from the blocking of Obama's nominee and finally the fact the only reason he was nominated in the first place was his well known opinion a sitting president can't be removed. A member of the committee that provided the names of nominees to Trump himself said Kavanaugh wasn't special and didn't stick out among his peers to any degree.
          Ok, let's recap. A post was made suggesting that had K only confessed to something relatively vague, certainly not attempted rape, but some more obscure mistake as a teen and apologized in some fashion, the K nom wouldn't have blown up into something so huge. I replied basically that I disagreed because when one considers the political environment surrounding the nomination, both sides were already dug in for a knife fight and it was going to blow up regardless. A point anyone is welcome to disagree with.

But what you and jerphisch take away from this post instead is that I think both "being for a rapist" and "opposing a rapist" are equivalent. You're both equivalently idiots.
          Originally posted by WiscTJK
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
          Originally posted by Timothy A
          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
            Ok, let's recap. A post was made suggesting that had K only confessed to something relatively vague, certainly not attempted rape, but some more obscure mistake as a teen and apologized in some fashion, the K nom wouldn't have blown up into something so huge. I replied basically that I disagreed because when one considers the political environment surrounding the nomination, both sides were already dug in for a knife fight and it was going to blow up regardless. A point anyone is welcome to disagree with.

But what you and jerphisch take away from this post instead is that I think both "being for a rapist" and "opposing a rapist" are equivalent. You're both equivalently idiots.
            And you're completely detached from reality, which has demonstrated quite recently that if the candidate isn't likely a rapist and definitely a perjurer, there will be no such knife fight.

Comment

Sooo...skimming this thread it looks like Brett Kavanaugh tried to sexually assault Taylor Swift but whether or not that happened Wisko would still want him on the SCOTUS? Is that about right?
              Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                And you're completely detached from reality, which has demonstrated quite recently that if the candidate isn't likely a rapist and definitely a perjurer, there will be no such knife fight.
                Fine, at least you are now disagreeing with what I said, instead of pulling something out of your... er... the sky.

This nom came right ahead of the midterms. Look out the window, it's a knife fight in the streets everyday about every mundane thing someone can think of a way to make it one over. You've also seen Dems everywhere talking about cranking up the outrage. Irrespective of who Trump's nominee was, I disagree that this ever had any chance of being even mildly apolitical. Klobuchar, who I respect and like quite a bit, started out her 5 minutes of the Kavanaugh questioning by stating essentially that Trump is a crazy person and no matter who his nom was, they needed to be opposed in every way. I don't think she was just filling time there. For D's it was warpath to stir up the base ahead of the midterms. "Remember the Merrick!"
                No complaint about that from me, that's just politics.
                I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

Originally posted by Rover View Post
                  Sooo...skimming this thread it looks like Brett Kavanaugh tried to sexually assault Taylor Swift but whether or not that happened Wisko would still want him on the SCOTUS? Is that about right?
                  Wisko is not for K on the court, nor is he for calling K a rapist, but mookie may say that deal with Taylor could maybe be a plus for K!

Which, to be fair, Kanye once jumped Taylor on TV and he just went World Wide from the oval office yesterday.
                  I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post

Actually that wasn't our takeaway so deflect away.

Comment

Can't remember if this was mentioned anywhere else here, but oddly relevant given some of today's other news: http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...014-story.html

A company owned by House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy’s in-laws won more than $7 million in no-bid and other federal contracts at U.S. military installations and other government properties in California based on a dubious claim of Native American identity by McCarthy’s brother-in-law, a Times investigation has found.

Vortex faced no competitive bids for most of the contracts because the Small Business Administration accepted Wages’ claim in 1998 that he is a Cherokee Indian. Under the SBA program, his company became eligible for federal contracts set aside for economically and socially disadvantaged members of minority groups, a boon to its business.

Wages says he is one-eighth Cherokee. An examination of government and tribal records by The Times and a leading Cherokee genealogist casts doubt on that claim, however. He is a member of a group called the Northern Cherokee Nation, which has no federal or state recognition as a legitimate tribe. It is considered a fraud by leaders of tribes that have federal recognition.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                        Can't remember if this was mentioned anywhere else here, but oddly relevant given some of today's other news: http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...014-story.html
                        Kevin McCarthy will not have any problems. Elizabeth Warren has gone out of her way the last couple of months trying to clear hers up and has but no one will believe her.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                          Kevin McCarthy will not have any problems. Elizabeth Warren has gone out of her way the last couple of months trying to clear hers up and has but no one will believe her.
                          Let me ask you this question. For better or for worse, the intention of inquiring about status as a minority for purposes of getting hired at Harvard or for competitive bidding projects is to give true minorities or minority owned businesses a leg up to get a job or get a position they might not otherwise get because of historical disadvantages experienced by minorities.

Are those minorities really helped when people like Warren or McCarthy come in a claim minority status because they might be 1/2048 native american? That's what everyone called bs on for Warren and her teaching applications and now McCarthy and his business bidding. Let's not kid ourselves. They are by no means the only people in this country engaging in that, but when you want to be a public servant you better expect to be called out on it.
                          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            Let me ask you this question. For better or for worse, the intention of inquiring about status as a minority for purposes of getting hired at Harvard or for competitive bidding projects is to give true minorities or minority owned businesses a leg up to get a job or get a position they might not otherwise get because of historical disadvantages experienced by minorities.

Are those minorities really helped when people like Warren or McCarthy come in a claim minority status because they might be 1/2048 native american? That's what everyone called bs on for Warren and her teaching applications and now McCarthy and his business bidding. Let's not kid ourselves. They are by no means the only people in this country engaging in that, but when you want to be a public servant you better expect to be called out on it.
                            Warren's Native American status had nothing to do with her hiring at Harvard or anywhere else. She was listed as Native American in the directory apparently. But, not hiring. See link in Presidential thread.
                            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                              Warren's Native American status had nothing to do with her hiring at Harvard or anywhere else. She was listed as Native American in the directory apparently. But, not hiring. See link in Presidential thread.
                              Sure, but if you're her, why even claim it? It makes her look stupid. It makes her look fake. Does she really think that because she might be 1/2048 Native American that real Native Americans are going to look at her and conclude "she's one of us?" It's insulting to real minorities when people like Warren claim to be a minority, or even claim some sort of minority status when her connection is as remote, minute and uncertain as hers is.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                                Sure, but if you're her, why even claim it? It makes her look stupid. It makes her look fake. Does she really think that because she might be 1/2048 Native American that real Native Americans are going to look at her and conclude "she's one of us?" It's insulting to real minorities when people like Warren claim to be a minority, or even claim some sort of minority status when her connection is as remote, minute and uncertain as hers is.
                                In what specific way did she claim it? Did you fill out some official form at some point to get it recognized? Or did she perhaps mention it as an aside once and someone else ran with it and listed it?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X