Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Re: Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
    By maintaining a firm belief in the value of education in its broadest sense, I realize these days I am in the minority, especially among fans of collegiate athletics. In my view suggesting Adam Fox is “. . . just wasting his time” at Harvard, (albeit perhaps true with respect to advancing his professional hockey career), discounts any potential a highly intelligent, motivated person can bring to any endeavor beyond the game which, at best will consume a small fraction of a young person’s active working life. Likewise, to suggest Adam has “Nothing left to prove, and his development will only stagnate sticking around” signals he has nothing to offer beyond the rink. If this were remotely true of any promising athlete they would not, nor should expect, to attend Harvard. A Harvard education can and should be transformative and is designed to open many doors, certainly not just one that is as ephemeral and low odds as professional sports. I really hope Adam stays for four years as I wished Ryan had and Jimmy Vesey, Alex (Biega, Kerfoot, Killorn), Kyle Criscuolo, Sean Malone, Wiley Sherman, Tyler Moy, Colin Blackwell, Dominic Moore and many other professional players have done. Dean of Admissions, William Fitzsimmons’ (a former Crimson hockey Goalie) team selects great all around student athletes who succeed in class and their sport and they do a terrific job.

BTW, I apologize if I appear too strident and opinionated. I recognize everyone has different valid perspectives. I can’t contribute much to discussions on hockey strategy, but this is a good conversation to have while debating our shared overriding imperatives: Beat Yale, Beat Cornell, win the Beanpot, the ECAC and NCAA — Go Crimson!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't think that Pizza was referring to Adam's off the ice life at Harvard when he said he was wasting his time. He was pointing out that Adam is good enough now to run an NHL PP and that alone should make him feel good about his prospects at the next level. What Adam does with his time away from the rink presumably is to keep his grades up and enjoy being a junior at Harvard. I don't know this for sure but if he thought Harvard was not the place for him, he would have left after his freshman season. Fact is that Calgary who owned his rights at the time was stacked with young D.

I think Ryan Donato is finding out that life in the NHL is a lot tougher than he imagined even with his Dad to give him advice and guidance. You can't blame him for leaving but staying to finish his senior season I think would have allowed him to continue to refine parts of his game that are absent at the moment. I'm sure he'll figure it out.

Harvard needs to get its goaltending figured out (positioning is horrendous as is the rebound control) and get Badini off of the 4th line (what a waste!). Also, what is with Harvard's PK? I have never seen such a passive box from a Harvard team (especially since Harvard has some real speed), basically allowing Yale to set up and pass the puck without pressure. Is this because of Harvard's goaltending challenges?

Walsh had a really tough game and his needless turnover in his own zone resulted in a gimme Yale goal.

Any point on the road against Yale has always been tough (even for great Harvard teams), but this is fairly pedestrian Yale team and I thought Harvard took its foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd period (stopped skating and really cycling the puck and moving it on the PP - don't think Harvard got one shot off on that last PP).
    Last edited by bothman; 11-10-2018 at 10:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bothman View Post
    Harvard needs to get its goaltending figured out (positioning is horrendous as is the rebound control) and get Badini off of the 4th line (what a waste!). Also, what is with Harvard's PK? I have never seen such a passive box from a Harvard team (especially since Harvard has some real speed), basically allowing Yale to set up and pass the puck without pressure. Is this because of Harvard's goaltending challenges?

Walsh had a really tough game and his needless turnover in his own zone resulted in a gimme Yale goal.

Any point on the road against Yale has always been tough (even for great Harvard teams), but this is fairly pedestrian Yale team and I thought Harvard took its foot off the gas pedal in the 3rd period (stopped skating and really cycling the puck and moving it on the PP - don't think Harvard got one shot off on that last PP).
    We have yet to play 60 minutes of hockey with any sort of consistency. I've outlined the flaws from the first three games in previous posts and it seems like some were repeated last night. Coaching is part of what's wrong at the moment and Teddy needs to figure this out quickly or the season will be lost. Two games coming up against Cornell including the Madison Square tilt so there are no gimmes ahead (maybe ASU but who knows?). Hopefully we can begin the turnaround tonight at Meehan.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    We have yet to play 60 minutes of hockey with any sort of consistency. I've outlined the flaws from the first three games in previous posts and it seems like some were repeated last night. Coaching is part of what's wrong at the moment and Teddy needs to figure this out quickly or the season will be lost. Two games coming up against Cornell including the Madison Square tilt so there are no gimmes ahead (maybe ASU but who knows?). Hopefully we can begin the turnaround tonight at Meehan.
    1st period was not great, but team played real well in the 2nd. Definitely will be a better and more fun team to watch this year. Hopefully Bowlby just misses Brown and is back next weekend against Top 5 ASU.

Walsh / Olsen D pairing needs to tighten things up, but lots of good things from this team tonight.

Lackey played well. He was too deep in the cage on Brown’s 1st goal, but settled in and played well.
    Last edited by bothman; 11-11-2018 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skate79 View Post
    I don't think that Pizza was referring to Adam's off the ice life at Harvard when he said he was wasting his time. He was pointing out that Adam is good enough now to run an NHL PP and that alone should make him feel good about his prospects at the next level. What Adam does with his time away from the rink presumably is to keep his grades up and enjoy being a junior at Harvard. I don't know this for sure but if he thought Harvard was not the place for him, he would have left after his freshman season. Fact is that Calgary who owned his rights at the time was stacked with young D.

I think Ryan Donato is finding out that life in the NHL is a lot tougher than he imagined even with his Dad to give him advice and guidance. You can't blame him for leaving but staying to finish his senior season I think would have allowed him to continue to refine parts of his game that are absent at the moment. I'm sure he'll figure it out.
    Thank you for your sensible comments. I too have been thinking about Ryan’s situation. While the demotion to Providence has to be difficult, I hope the extra ice time and close coaching will position him well going forward. We
    Know he has NHL skills, but perhaps needs his confidence boosted.

Harvard Crimson 2018-2019 All Things Bright and Beautiful

1st period was not great, but team played real well in the 2nd. Definitely will be a better and more fun team to watch this year. Hopefully Bowlby just misses Brown and is back next weekend against Top 5 ASU.

Walsh / Olsen D pairing needs to tighten things up, but lots of good things from this team tonight.

Lackey played well. He was too deep in the cage on Brown’s 1st goal, but settled in and played well.
    I suspect Michael Lackey has the capacity to improve. However, we don’t have the luxury of time to test that assumption. In one of the Yale goals he seemed to flounder and flop across the crease in desperation. It may be time to consider putting freshman goal tender Derek Schaedig into the rotation or give him the start against the China team in exhibition. The contrast with the Merrick Madsen era could not be more stark.

Last edited by HUJFKLINE; 11-11-2018 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HUJFKLINE View Post
    I suspect Michael Lackey has the capacity to improve. However, we don’t have the luxury of time to test that assumption. In one of the Yale goals he seemed to flounder and flop across the crease in desperation. It may be time to consider putting freshman goal tender Wyllum Deveaux into the rotation or give him the start against the China team in exhibition. The contrast with the Merrick Madsen era could not be more stark.

Derek Schaeding is the frosh goalie. Deveaux is a power forward.

Derek Schaeding is the frosh goalie. Deveaux is a power forward.
    My mistake, I fixed the error in my original reply. Thanks for pointing this out.

Thread Information