Michigan wolverines 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan wolverines 2018-19

Okay I do not see where anyone else has already started this season's thread so I will. If someone HAS beat me to it please accept my most sincere apology.

The entire 2018-19 schedule was just released. This has to be a record for earliest release of the full season schedule

I see only one and a half conflicts with Football and Basketball, a very nice change from previous seasons.

I'll mention the basketball one first - Saturday Nov. 10 the Hockey team plays the Leprechaun while the hoopsters play Holy Cross. Neither start time has been announced so we just might get lucky and have the hoopsters play an early afternoon game so that parking in the Crisler lot will be available for hockey fans. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls.

The "half conflict" I mentioned above is concerning the Oct. 6 hockey game against Vermont. The Football team will also be playing a home game against Maryland that day. I consider that one a "Half conflict" since they will start at noon so by the time we start arriving for the hockey game the football fans should be out of our way. That is except for people like me that have season tickets for both sports. I'm just going to have to decide where I will kill a couple hours between games.
    Last edited by JoeZ; 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM.
    Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7
    Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Re: Michigan wolverines 2018-19

On a different note - keep your eyes and ears open for news on whether Quinn Hughes will be back or go to Vancouver. Reportedly he is very near an announcement.

https://www.mlive.com/wolverines/ind...ick_quinn.html
    Row 1
    Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
      I'm just going to have to decide where I will kill a couple hours between games.
      The bar, the answer is always the bar.

PS- Thanks for starting this seasons thread. I won't do it, last time I did we missed the tournament for the first time in over 2 decades.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Hey Joe, thanks for the emoji in the thread title too. Good job!
        I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          Hey Joe, thanks for the emoji in the thread title too. Good job!
          Yeah I got that one but screwed up and didn't capitalize the "W".
          Row 1
          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

The way I read this it looks like Hughes is going to opt for the pros next season: https://www.straight.com/news/110281...ay-next-season

Then two days later this one looks more like 50-50: https://thecanuckway.com/2018/07/16/...nn-hughes-yet/

Either way his decision is reportedly coming yet this week.
            Last edited by JoeZ; 07-17-2018, 10:40 AM.
            Row 1
            Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Okay I do not see where anyone else has already started this season's thread so I will. If someone HAS beat me to it please accept my most sincere apology.

The entire 2018-19 schedule was just released. This has to be a record for earliest release of the full season schedule

I see only one and a half conflicts with Football and Basketball, a very nice change from previous seasons.

I'll mention the basketball one first - Saturday Nov. 10 the Hockey team plays the Leprechaun while the hoopsters play Holy Cross. Neither start time has been announced so we just might get lucky and have the hoopsters play an early afternoon game so that parking in the Crisler lot will be available for hockey fans. Keep your fingers crossed boys and girls.

The "half conflict" I mentioned above is concerning the Oct. 6 hockey game against Vermont. The Football team will also be playing a home game against Maryland that day. I consider that one a "Half conflict" since they will start at noon so by the time we start arriving for the hockey game the football fans should be out of our way. That is except for people like me that have season tickets for both sports. I'm just going to have to decide where I will kill a couple hours between games.
              Oct. 6 is homecoming. So football crowd may be full of old-timers hanging around A2 reliving our glory days. Then again, football is against Maryland, so hopefully it won't be much of a game (the Terps are not good at football and should not be in the B1G, as a native Marylander, I state this as fact).
              That is going to be a long day if we go to hockey.

Am I a terrible wife if I keep making my husband go to Michigan sporting events for his birthday? Last year we spent Oct. 6 in upstate New York for hockey games. This year, I shall abandon him to find his own football ticket so I can be on the field.

From what I read on Quinn, I think he's gone. If he comes back, he's certainly gone before his Junior year. I'm still always happy to watch these talents for however long we get them.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G
              7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
              6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
              5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
              5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
              2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
              2 Alaskan

Comment

Yeah I got that one but screwed up and didn't capitalize the "W".
                That is an omission but not a big one (see what I did there) thus I let it slide. Maybe I'm becoming more complacent in my old age?

Comment

Either way his decision is reportedly coming yet this week.
                  Still no word yet, I think that he's gone (I have no inside info on this subject) however he might be wrestling with the decision. He has wanted to play in the NHL his entire life but he's not sure if he can do it. He likes the friendly confines of Yost and having people tell him where to go and when. His only responsibilities are school and hockey. Easy peasey. Going pro would be great but no one is there to look after him. IMHO that's why he is wrestling with the decision. I think he leaves this year but hope that I'm wrong.

Comment

MGoBlue reports Quinn Hughes will return to Michigan for another season!
                    The certainties of life...Death, Taxes and bad B1G Referees.

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                      Good news for us fans! I know it was a tough decision- when I saw him play at the world championships, he looked pretty darned good- could have easily gone pro.

This upcoming season will be really interesting...

Comment

HE"S BA-ACK!
                        It's official, on the official U-M Athletics Ice Hockey webpage.
                        Quinn Hughes returns!

https://mgoblue.com/news/2018/7/28/i...-business.aspx

excerpt:

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Quinn Hughes walked into Michigan ice hockey coach Mel Pearson's office inside Yost Ice Arena on Friday morning (July 27) and said he was still undecided.

Should he leave the Wolverines for the Vancouver Canucks, the team which on June 22 made him the seventh overall pick in the first round of the NHL Draft?

Should he stay at the University of Michigan, where he developed into an elite defenseman as a freshman and helped take a team to the Frozen Four?

Some would say he could not lose with either decision. Hughes himself said that. But, man, was this a tough call. Hughes spent 90 minutes with Pearson and still did not have an answer.

Hughes got in his car and left Ann Arbor, driving a half-hour east on M-14 to the Plymouth home of his parents, both of whom played college hockey, and two younger hockey-playing brothers. His family advisor, Pat Brisson, was there, too, and they spoke candidly for over four hours.

Then Quinn had a decision, and it was one that will make Wolverine fans rejoice.
                        Last edited by JoeZ; 07-28-2018, 03:34 PM.
                        Row 1
                        Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                          Oct. 6 is homecoming. So football crowd may be full of old-timers hanging around A2 reliving our glory days. Then again, football is against Maryland, so hopefully it won't be much of a game (the Terps are not good at football and should not be in the B1G, as a native Marylander, I state this as fact).
                          That is going to be a long day if we go to hockey.
                          I think the football game will see the stadium emptying early in favor of the "Adult Beverage Establishments" thus further easing the hockey parking situation.

I usually park at the Sheraton and ride the football shuttle to the game. Obviously that will not work if I hang out near the athletic complex between games. I'm thinking of riding the shuttle back to the Sheraton and hanging out at BWW then moving the car to somewhere near Yost in time for the start of the hockey game.
                          Last edited by JoeZ; 08-11-2018, 10:03 AM.
                          Row 1
                          Seats 6 & 7

Comment

Originally posted by umichjim View Post
                            Pleasantly thrilled that I was wrong. I mean I could see the rationale for him to return but I didn't think he would care enough to return. I know that the kid is good but I personally never saw him playing pro right away but I thought with that high of draft-pick he'd be gone for sure. I was wrong!

Comment

Well we didn't get Jack...

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...usntdp-school/

Comment

Working...
                              X