Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIII Alvernia University Hires Former Penn State Coach Brandwene

https://www.uscho.com/2018/07/11/alv...dwene-at-helm/

Hahahahaha. What a joke. That's the best they could do?! I guess nobody else applied.....they already bumped their timeline from starting this fall until next fall which tells me they probably had a very small pool of applicants. As a new program they won't be expected to win so I guess that makes this decision a good fit for both parties. Not a great day for D3 women's hockey.

Comment

Re: DIII Alvernia University Hires Former Penn State Coach Brandwene

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Hahahahaha. What a joke. That's the best they could do?! I guess nobody else applied.....they already bumped their timeline from starting this fall until next fall which tells me they probably had a very small pool of applicants. As a new program they won't be expected to win so I guess that makes this decision a good fit for both parties. Not a great day for D3 women's hockey.
      I guess this was easier and/or cheaper than luring an accomplished D3 assistant, or the optics of hiring a former D1 coach means more than bringing someone who has a more proven track record.

But I thought the initial announcement always mentioned Fall 2019?
      Last edited by Scott_TG; 07-12-2018, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
        I guess this was easier and/or cheaper than luring an accomplished D3 assistant, or the optics of hiring a former D1 coach means more than bringing someone who has a more proven track record.

But I thought the initial announcement always mentioned Fall 2019?
        I'm almost sure that I saw the original announcement with a fall 2018 start date and then at some point after that they put an edit on their website saying something like "starting fall 2019." I could be mistaken. Either way this is a sad hiring decision and I feel sorry for them already before they've even started.

Comment

The first post on the thread by DHammond posted the day they made the announcement references a 2019 start. If they edited it, it would have been done almost immediately meaning it was more likely a typo. Which would still be bad considering how much I know most organizations go over press releases before pushing them out. I've worked with releases at my current company and the amount of eyes that go over a single release is large enough something like that would be caught...

Originally posted by dhammond View Post
          It was announced today that Alvernia College is starting a women’s hockey program. That would give the MAC 6 women’s teams in 2019. You have to wonder if a men’s team will be added, as we head toward the MAC getting 7 teams and pulling out of the UCHC to form their own conference in hockey.
          If that happens, I wonder what the UCHC does? We’d have Elmira, Nazareth, Utica, Neumann, and Chatham. Does the UCHC add Bryn Athyn and maybe Canton if that scenario unfolds?

Comment

While we're picking apart Alvernia's releases, this release about Brandwene on their site says:

"Alvernia will be just the seventh Division III college or university to sponsor Women's Ice Hockey as a varsity sport, and will be the fifth member of the Middle Atlantic Conference which just wrapped up its inaugural season with Stevenson, Manhattanville, Lebanon Valley, and King's all participating."

1) There are more than seven DIII institutions sponsoring WIH at the varsity level. I think they forgot "in Pennsylvania" somewhere in that sentence.
            2) If they meant seventh DIII institution sponsoring WIH at the varsity level in Pennsylvania, they meant to say sixth. I count 5: Chatham, Neumann, King's, Wilkes and LVC. Unless I'm forgetting another newcomer...

Comment

So which is the worse hire, this one or the guy they hired at Wilkes?! Which one will get fired first? My guess goes to the guy at Wilkes. I give him three seasons and then the boot, and maybe four years (once they start playing) for the new Alvernia coach.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                So which is the worse hire, this one or the guy they hired at Wilkes?! Which one will get fired first? My guess goes to the guy at Wilkes. I give him three seasons and then the boot, and maybe four years (once they start playing) for the new Alvernia coach.
                Earl Utter has on his resume an impressive track record of the Morrisville men when they were a Junior College program, including four NJCAA championship wins. He may not have accomplished much in 9 years coaching women at Cortland, but can we pin that purely on his ability to coach women at the NCAA DIII level when his successors haven't done much either? Could be an institutional issue there where the coach has to succeed in spite of a lack of institutional support. I'm curious to see what he makes of a new program at a private school.

Both coaches will have to contend with trying to succeed as new programs in a conference with perennial powerhouse Elmira, a Stevenson program that is off to a good start, a William Smith program that blossomed it's first year in the new conference and a Utica program that's competitive every year.
                Last edited by Scott_TG; 07-14-2018, 02:18 PM. Reason: Clarity.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                  Earl Utter has on his resume an impressive track record of the Morrisville men when they were a Junior College program, including four NJCAA championship wins. He may not have accomplished much in 9 years coaching women at Cortland, but can we pin that purely on his ability to coach women at the NCAA DIII level when his successors haven't done much either? Could be an institutional issue there where the coach has to succeed in spite of a lack of institutional support. I'm curious to see what he makes of a new program at a private school.

Both coaches will have to contend with trying to succeed in a conference with new programs in a conference with perennial powerhouse Elmira, a Stevenson program that is off to a good start, a William Smith program that blossomed it's first year in the new conference and a Utica program that's competitive every year.

The funny thing is that 3-4 years at a D3 program isn't really too much out of the ordinary these days.......

Comment

Working...
                  X