Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: McDonald out at RIT

Re: McDonald out at RIT

Quote Originally Posted by EastFan1 View Post
    Okay, when do you think we will see 5 of the top 6 teams in the ECAC be non-scholarship teams?
    Never since I believe all ECAC teams give scholarships.
    Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
    If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years)

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    Never since I believe all ECAC teams give scholarships.
    Really????none of the Ivies give athletic or academic scholarships...(thats 6) add union for 7 non-scholarship schools out of 12....Clarkson , st Lawrence , RPI, Colgate and QPac. If i remember, colgate did not give scholarships until a few years ago....look what money can do! (also you have obviously not been reading our other thread on new coaches!)

Quote Originally Posted by MAHOCKEY FAN View Post
    Really????none of the Ivies give athletic or academic scholarships...(thats 6) add union for 7 non-scholarship schools out of 12....Clarkson , st Lawrence , RPI, Colgate and QPac. If i remember, colgate did not give scholarships until a few years ago....look what money can do! (also you have obviously not been reading our other thread on new coaches!)
    Does anyone know why Union doesn’t give scholarships? Are they allowed to?

Is that the word on the street?

My bad. Forgot about the IVY no scholarships (cough, cough) And Union.

And yes I have been reading the other thread. My reading comprehension at age 66 is obviously lacking.
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by vicb View Post
    My bad. Forgot about the IVY no scholarships (cough, cough) And Union.
    Seems like things have a way of getting worked out for those with "need"...

https://www.collegeraptor.com/find-c...lass-families/
    "For absolutely no reason we went to Canada and when we were coming back over the border they asked us if we had anything to declare...
    I said yes...War." Steven Wright

If anyone has documentation or any specific examples of athletes getting more "need based" financial aid than non-athletes - everything else being equal - feel free to give details.
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Quote Originally Posted by D2D View Post
    If anyone has documentation or any specific examples of athletes getting more "need based" financial aid than non-athletes - everything else being equal - feel free to give details.
    Is the "word on the street" acceptable?
    WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO

Personal experience.....no help util we had 2 in college at once. On line calculators were very accurate at estimating family contribution. Ivy schools agree to match other schools if can demonstrate an interest.. Really are similar or would end in a bidding war. They also won't give you a package until Dec/Jan. Financial aid is higher then most....but cost is higher than most.
    Last edited by MAHOCKEY FAN; 07-13-2018 at 06:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Does anyone know why Union doesn’t give scholarships? Are they allowed to?
    B) No athletic scholarships.
    A) A while back, the President of Middlebury believed that D3 schools needed to be pure to the goals of D3. He sponsored legislation that D3 schools could not offer athletic scholarships. There was much walla walla with the heads of the affected D3 schools on either side of the issue. Clarkson was against. Union was for.

It came to a vote and lost, but it was also agreed that the current D3 schools that were playing up and not offering scholarships couldn't.

Subsequent legislation (2010-100) prohibited D3 schools from playing above their station, with the current schools grandfathered. A provision in the legislation says that if you abandon the playup, you can't playup again.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    I just went to the RIT website and found this about the Women's Hockey Coach position:

GRADE
    123A

MINIMUM
    $88,800.00

MIDPOINT
    $115,500.00

MAXIMUM
    $142,100.00

Assuming he was at least at the midpoint of this salary range, he must have found a really good regular job to have left that kind of a salary behind! I don't know much about it but that seems like quite a healthy salary range for a coach at a D3 school. Is it because it's a D1 team? Would the salary be the same if they were running a D3 hockey program?

Assuming title 9 is in effect the men's coaching staff gets the same. That must be the lowest in Division I College hockey. Not Good!

Quote Originally Posted by Hockeyplayer82 View Post
    Assuming title 9 is in effect the men's coaching staff gets the same. That must be the lowest in Division I College hockey. Not Good!
    Brown is comparable.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post

It came to a vote and lost, but it was also agreed that the current D3 schools that were playing up and not offering scholarships couldn't.
    Thank you. I never knew about this part.

Thats.....not how title ix works

Title IX has nothing to do with salaries. Comparable salaries is an equity issue. Google "Shannon Miller lawsuit."

Title IX has nothing to do with salaries. Comparable salaries is an equity issue. Google "Shannon Miller lawsuit."
    I also think that $115k is not that far off some other D1 schools....Maine is actually way below that. Only think making it work is the husband/wife combo salary.

Union gives money from the endowment fund. Union only has 2,000 students and all are "eligible" to the money, if they are in "need". Athletes get the money(cough, cough, cough)

Salaries at RIT are comparable both Men and Women and they are the lowest in Division I hockey.

Ivy league does not give scholarship but the education, connections etc... is worth the student loan.

In the mid 80's when the NCAA passed the rule regarding multi divisional colleges, Union decided to not give scholarship, Colgate decided to give scholarship.

RIT and Union are the only non ivy league schools who do not give scholarship Union plays in the ECAC (strong league). RIT in Atlantic hockey ( not as strong or respected).

Bottom line; Its hard to win and when a team does not have the resources other schools have, well very very hard to win.

Strong coaching can help, however to be consistent, the programs need more resources which they will never get.

Union plays in the ECAC (strong league). RIT in Atlantic hockey
    RIT plays in the CHA.

Strong coaching can help, however to be consistent, the programs need more resources which they will never get.
    Resources such as scholarships, sure, but they're not hurting for facilities with their new Gene Polisseni Center.

Lt. J. Isaac Powers, Starfleet

Blah, blah, blah. Need I remind you that even a blind squirrel.....
    To be clear I was referring to the men's program. Surely you're not comparing Wayne Wilson to a blind squirrel?

How would dropping to D3 help the men's program?

Powers &8^]

Quote Originally Posted by LtPowers View Post
    To be clear I was referring to the men's program. Surely you're not comparing Wayne Wilson to a blind squirrel?

How would dropping to D3 help the men's program?

Powers &8^]
    Well then you're the only one talking about the men's team and their coach while the rest of us are talking about the women's team and their former coach. Feel free to go over to the men's thread to continue your conversation with yourself.

Thread Information