Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

Good morning Lodge. Hazy/hot/humid here. Got to the T station to a large crowd. Previous issue caused delays. Too hot to wait there and then have to stand on the next train, so I took the train going the other way the two stops to the end, then headed back to the city. Great way to start the day. But then again, it IS Tuesday.

I got some kind of bug bite on my left calf over the weekend. May have been from some kind of fly on the beach or something. It's about 3/4" long. Looks like two small bites together. Not swollen, just red and itchy. I got up early and put ice on it for a bit. Seems to have quelled the itching a bit.

Comment

Good morning, Lodge.

It's my first day back to work after the wedding and then honeymoon. We went to Quebec City, which is really good for a long weekend. We were there a week. And we didn't have air conditioning. And it was 90 and humid at one point. That part was rough as a good fan will only do so much. We had two lousy fans. Other than the weather, we had a really good time. Restaurants were almost all top notch, and Old QC truly is like traveling to a French city. Once you get to the other side of the old city walls, QC becomes a standard metropolitan area with its own set of quirks.

The wedding went off without a hitch. The flower girl had to drag the ring bearer (her little brother) down the aisle until he saw his mommy beckoning him to join her, then he started running and dragged his big sister with him. It made for a very funny moment, and the whole church broke out into laughter.

Speaking of the whole church, we held the wedding ceremony during the regular Saturday 5PM Catholic Mass (counts for Sunday Mass), which was officially called "Mass with Nuptials." It was the first time that's happened at that specific church in just over 20 years. That also meant our wedding mass was open to the public, and that we were only able to reserve a couple sections of pews. Just over 750 people were in attendance, and the local Catholic newspaper, the Catholic Spirit, showed up at the request of the Church's new pastor, as the Church wants to promote those types of ceremonies going forward. The bonus is that the journalist they sent also does photography and emailed to us his entire catalog of photos from the wedding, no restrictions. So we had three different professional photographers there - our paid guy also had a secondary photographer with him.
      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Good morning Lodge. Hazy/hot/humid here. Got to the T station to a large crowd. Previous issue caused delays. Too hot to wait there and then have to stand on the next train, so I took the train going the other way the two stops to the end, then headed back to the city. Great way to start the day. But then again, it IS Tuesday.

I got some kind of bug bite on my left calf over the weekend. May have been from some kind of fly on the beach or something. It's about 3/4" long. Looks like two small bites together. Not swollen, just red and itchy. I got up early and put ice on it for a bit. Seems to have quelled the itching a bit.
        Something bit me by my right shoulder last week. It is stilllll itchy. Hydrocortisone is my friend.

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        Good morning, Lodge.

It's my first day back to work after the wedding and then honeymoon. We went to Quebec City, which is really good for a long weekend. We were there a week. And we didn't have air conditioning. And it was 90 and humid at one point. That part was rough as a good fan will only do so much. We had two lousy fans. Other than the weather, we had a really good time. Restaurants were almost all top notch, and Old QC truly is like traveling to a French city. Once you get to the other side of the old city walls, QC becomes a standard metropolitan area with its own set of quirks.

The wedding went off without a hitch. The flower girl had to drag the ring bearer (her little brother) down the aisle until he saw his mommy beckoning him to join her, then he started running and dragged his big sister with him. It made for a very funny moment, and the whole church broke out into laughter.

Speaking of the whole church, we held the wedding ceremony during the regular Saturday 5PM Catholic Mass (counts for Sunday Mass), which was officially called "Mass with Nuptials." It was the first time that's happened at that specific church in just over 20 years. That also meant our wedding mass was open to the public, and that we were only able to reserve a couple sections of pews. Just over 750 people were in attendance, and the local Catholic newspaper, the Catholic Spirit, showed up at the request of the Church's new pastor, as the Church wants to promote those types of ceremonies going forward. The bonus is that the journalist they sent also does photography and emailed to us his entire catalog of photos from the wedding, no restrictions. So we had three different professional photographers there - our paid guy also had a secondary photographer with him.
        Way cool!
        Good Morning Lodge!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
          I received $1.85M from Mr. Rex W. Tillerson. The total is now $742,351,847.53.
          I received $2.5M from Mr.Jude Aguh. The total is now $744,851,847.53.
          Unless things pick up, July will be the poorest month of the year so far.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Congrats St. Clown!

Renewing the job search. Heard back from a posting from a recruiting agency. I don't know how to handle her questions about salary. Just an e-mailed question, I haven't talked to her yet. She wanted to know my availability for interviews and current salary & expected salary. How do you answer that?

I feel like I got burnt on the current job by being answering the current salary question. When they started to negotiate salary they came back 30% lower than the low end listed in the posting (which would have been a slight improvement over the salary I was making). I got them up a little to 25% under the listing (the recruiter gave me a line about "oh, that was for the QM position, not the QE". I know now that's BS, as I'm also the QM here, I'm the whole **** department).
            I don't want to come off as a feminazi, but have heard reports that this is one of the ways women continue to earn less than men in the same positions. I tell you what I'm making now which is 75% of what a man in the position would make, so then my next job I continue to make 75% of what a man would make.

The thing is, I'm really interested in this position. From the description, it would be focused on my favorite part of my job, and the commute would be a vast improvement (and the money might be too). I don't want to blow by chance my not answering the question, but I don't want to continue to be underpaid for the same work either. Any advice?
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G
            7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
            6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
            5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
            5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
            2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
            2 Alaskan

Comment

If you know you're below what appears to be the current job market rate, just tell the recruiter and hiring companies that your current salary is, say 2%-5% below the listed floor, or right at floor. Then tell them that you're interested in make the move so long as it comes with a raise. They can't know the true figure, so it's entirely up to you to give yourself that raise. With your recently added qualifications, that shouldn't be tough to do at all.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Also, The Wife bought me a half-season package for SCSU men's hockey this coming season. We get all Saturday night games. She has a friend who lives in St. Cloud, and asked her to test the arena, sitting in various seats to see if they met what I had once described as my ideal seat in the arena, and she found the seats that were available for purchase. I'm a lucky man.

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                  Also, The Wife bought me a half-season package for SCSU men's hockey this coming season. We get all Saturday night games. She has a friend who lives in St. Cloud, and asked her to test the arena, sitting in various seats to see if they met what I had once described as my ideal seat in the arena, and she found the seats that were available for purchase. I'm a lucky man.
                  Whoa! She sounds awesome! Congratulations on the wedding and wishing you many many happy years!

wT - I have always been stumped by the salary question. I can't offer advice, I'm sorry.

Comment

Congrats Clown. Which parish?

Minnesota's Pride On Ice: 1974, 1976, 1979, 2002 & 2003 NCAA National Champions

And the preacher said, you know you always have the Lord by your side
                    And I was so pleased to be informed of this that I ran
                    Twenty red lights in his honor
                    Thank you Jesus, thank you Lord

~Mick Jagger/Keith Richards

Comment

I've been stumped by the salary issue as well. I wish you well on the wT. Good luck!

So, Cousin S posted today the my cousin J has been moved to hospice care. I'm a wreck about this. I was on a three-minute break between meetings and checked Facebook when I saw it. I guess I should have been expecting it. I called my parents immediately to tell them. They had heard from my aunt last week that she was being moved to a long-term care facility. I called cousin P tonight to see if she had any additional info. She told me that cousin J had a healthcare proxy and didn't want to be kept on machines. She talked to cousin S and my aunt and told me to reach out to cousin S. I guess he was upset I hadn't yet commented on Facebook. I just had to collect my thoughts and work was crazy....gah!! I did post a comment and also sent him a private message. We'll see if he gets back to me.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                        I don't want to come off as a feminazi
                        Recently learned that the current term among the MRA neckbeards is "Feminazgul". Which is apparently also the name of a band that plays the kind of metal where the singer just screams unintelligibly into the microphone (not my thing).

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I've been stumped by the salary issue as well. I wish you well on the wT. Good luck!
                          So, Cousin S posted today the my cousin J has been moved to hospice care. I'm a wreck about this. I was on a three-minute break between meetings and checked Facebook when I saw it. I guess I should have been expecting it. I called my parents immediately to tell them. They had heard from my aunt last week that she was being moved to a long-term care facility. I called cousin P tonight to see if she had any additional info. She told me that cousin J had a healthcare proxy and didn't want to be kept on machines. She talked to cousin S and my aunt and told me to reach out to cousin S. I guess he was upset I hadn't yet commented on Facebook. I just had to collect my thoughts and work was crazy....gah!! I did post a comment and also sent him a private message. We'll see if he gets back to me.
                          I'm sorry you're going through this...it sounds terrible.

Comment

Congrats and sad faces all around, I guess. Lot going on in the last couple of days. Wow.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Good morning to tLodge!
                              Quinnipiac Bobcats
                              2023 National Champions
                              ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
                              ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
                              East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions)
                              Northeast Regional:

West Regional: 2015, 2021
                              Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
                              Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Good Morning, MEUSA!

Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X