View Poll Results: Is it hot?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hot! Too hot!

    8 57.14%
  • That’s hott...

    2 14.29%
  • Too hot in the hot tub!

    7 50.00%
  • Bacon grease spatter hot.

    3 21.43%
  • It’s too hacking hot.

    6 42.86%
  • Just like Papa Bear’s porridge.

    4 28.57%
  • Yes

    7 50.00%
  • No

    2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 38 of 51 FirstFirst ... 282930313233343536373839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 741 to 760 of 1002

Thread: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

  1. #741
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,315
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Good Evening Lodge!

    Lottsa rain coming in the mid-Atlantic. Don't we have someone from the lodge residing there? Hope everything will be OK.
    Who could it be?

  2. #742
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,718

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Ag is in trouble, so lowball. Oh, because of lack of Ag, you're in debt. Here's 75% of actual value. Wanna try and recover some of that?
    Your logic is backwards. Go back to basic supply and demand. In this hypothetical situation, supply is high, demand is low, causing low prices. 1) Land that developers are interested automatically has a lower supply, because only land that is in city limits, or adjacent to existing developments would be in demand, causing a reduction in supply. 2) Adding developers into the mix increases the demand side of the equation, because that means that more parties are in the market for the purchasing that land, likely several developers. All in all, this situation that you are describing would only increase land values, and prices for the owners of that land. It all goes back to basic economics.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  3. #743
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,824

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    So, as if I'm not stressed enough this week trying to get everything in place for the launch of our company's biggest employee-wide annual campaign that launches while I'm in LA for the Emmy Awards, my bathroom shower drain decides to back up. I literally have no time for this. I called a plumber at 7:30. Got the service. She said if it was an emergency, she would page someone. I said have the office call me when it opens at 8:30. If I had my laptop with me I would've done that. So, I decide to forego breakfast and head to work as I'm usually on the T at 8:30. I get on a train and see I have a message at 7:50. They called me. I get off the train to call. I settle on a visit 5-6pm and will have to pay OT for it. Whatever. I have no choice. I have one meeting I physically need to be here for today and tomorrow I'm totally booked. I leave for the airport from the office on Thursday. I may snap, soon.

  4. #744
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,960

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Another auction tonight. Way too high of prices, I was in for a while, but bowed out at just under $600k. With prices as low as they are, guys will be going broke soon, will be more land out there to buy. Prevailing thought is that the market will be flooded in the next year, so I'll have more chances, at likely a much better price. Also helps that I have the chunk I bought in July to fall back on, better land, for a lower price than we saw today.
    Commodity prices aren't likely to really climb back into a good range until we see the tariffs on them lift in foreign lands, which will require some effort on our gov't's side, too. Those guys bidding up the prices must be expecting some of that bailout cash announced last month.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  5. #745
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,718

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Commodity prices aren't likely to really climb back into a good range until we see the tariffs on them lift in foreign lands, which will require some effort on our gov't's side, too. Those guys bidding up the prices must be expecting some of that bailout cash announced last month.
    No, they just have cash on hand and are speculating for the long term. They'll lose their shorts in the first few years, but as long as they have enough cash available, that won't matter. When the next upswing comes, they'll make money. The bailout cash for tariff relief isn't hardly worth applying for, the amount is so minuscule, like 0.5 cents per bushel, it won't have even a slight impact.

    I think some people are speculating that Trump with get **** worked out with China, like he recently has with Mexico. Many are also very skeptical about that. Its not like he's done much to inspire confidence in anyone to this point, though, other financial markets seem to be doing not terrible. We'll just have to wait and see. We have always positioned ourselves well in down times, and come out bigger and stronger than before, so hoping to do that again.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  6. #746
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    193,081

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Who could it be?
    Considering how much flooding we are getting from the rains over the weekend, whatever we get from Florence is going to be a mess.

  7. #747
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30,195

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Who could it be?
    Hmmmm

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Considering how much flooding we are getting from the rains over the weekend, whatever we get from Florence is going to be a mess.
    Hmmmm again

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    No, they just have cash on hand and are speculating for the long term. They'll lose their shorts in the first few years, but as long as they have enough cash available, that won't matter. When the next upswing comes, they'll make money. The bailout cash for tariff relief isn't hardly worth applying for, the amount is so minuscule, like 0.5 cents per bushel, it won't have even a slight impact.

    I think some people are speculating that Trump with get **** worked out with China, like he recently has with Mexico. Many are also very skeptical about that. Its not like he's done much to inspire confidence in anyone to this point, though, other financial markets seem to be doing not terrible. We'll just have to wait and see. We have always positioned ourselves well in down times, and come out bigger and stronger than before, so hoping to do that again.
    This is so like what happened when Reagan did the shell game with $$ when I was a kid. It supports things for only so long then down it goes. We shifted to more conservative investments. Might not make a bundle now but the hit when the crash comes will be a lot less painful adn rebound faster

  8. #748

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    22,166

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Checking in lodge, because I have apologies to share.

    I want to apologize for my website not being available today to share the 9/11 thread. I don't have the site set to auto-renew the domain, and I was so busy this past week with other things I completely forgot to renew.

    Good news, the files are all still at GoDaddy so we didn't lose our slice of history, and the domain was parked for me to still be able to renew. Bad news is that it's a blank page until the DNS servers refresh.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  9. #749
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,718

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Hmmmm

    Hmmmm again

    This is so like what happened when Reagan did the shell game with $$ when I was a kid. It supports things for only so long then down it goes. We shifted to more conservative investments. Might not make a bundle now but the hit when the crash comes will be a lot less painful adn rebound faster
    Can't exactly "shift to more conservative investments" when the investment is growing in the field.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  10. #750
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,824

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Plumber showed up 10 minutes early! Cleaned out the drain. Had to pay OT charges. Blergh. But it's done. Finished packing, though not 100% because I will be packing my sneakers and I need to wear them tomorrow. I cancelled my PT appointment tomorrow night so I may drive my suitcase in tomorrow night instead of taking a Lyft into to the office Thursday morning. Cross your fingers I get through tomorrow and Thursday morning without feeling I need to bring my work laptop with me.

  11. #751
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,297

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    Your logic is backwards. Go back to basic supply and demand. In this hypothetical situation, supply is high, demand is low, causing low prices. 1) Land that developers are interested automatically has a lower supply, because only land that is in city limits, or adjacent to existing developments would be in demand, causing a reduction in supply. 2) Adding developers into the mix increases the demand side of the equation, because that means that more parties are in the market for the purchasing that land, likely several developers. All in all, this situation that you are describing would only increase land values, and prices for the owners of that land. It all goes back to basic economics.
    Some farmers are losing money, though, correct? So to stop the bleeding, they might be more willing to sell at lower prices. Otherwise, you are correct, and the price goes up for the land.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #752
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,054

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Good morning to tLodge!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  13. #753
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    193,081

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Good Morning, MEUSA!


    Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

  14. #754
    Armed bigblue_dl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    God's Country
    Posts
    32,718

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Some farmers are losing money, though, correct? So to stop the bleeding, they might be more willing to sell at lower prices. Otherwise, you are correct, and the price goes up for the land.
    All farmers are losing money. But, selling the land is a last resort. You sell the land, and you're done. But, in a situation where someone is forced to sell by a lender demanding loan repayment, their willingness to sell at a lower price does not come into play when you're talking about supply and demand. And in the situation I described, where developers are looking to buy land, the balance between supply and demand is actually more in favor of the seller than in a normal situation where developers are not interested. So, even if they are willing to sell at a lower price, they likely will not have to. Think of it this way, if you own a 1969 Corvette, but really need some money to pay off some debt, and are forced to sell, it doesn't matter that you only need $8000 to pay off your debt, if there are 2 guys that want that car, and are both willing to pay $15000, you are going to get north of $15000 for that car, regardless of how much you'd be willing to sell it for.
    Having a clear conscience just means you have a bad memory or you had a boring weekend.

    RIP - Kirby

  15. #755
    Veteran leswp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    30,195

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Good Afternoon Lodge!

    Hurricane info is scary. Know a few people who probably will lose their homes

  16. #756
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,297

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Evening, Lodge. Work is still crappy. Co-worker off today and tomorrow. No help from main building, but thankfully, things fell into place today to make a best case scenario on my end. Have about a dozen days off (all M or F) for the rest of the year to get under my carryover limit. That will help.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  17. #757
    C'mon Q! MarkEagleUSA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    113 @ the Bank!
    Posts
    11,054

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Good morning to tLodge!
    Quinnipiac Bobcats
    2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16 ECAC Regular Season Champions
    2013 East Regional Champions, Frozen Four
    2014 East Regional
    2015 West Regional
    2016 ECAC Tournament Champions, East Regional Champions, Frozen Four

  18. #758
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    193,081

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Good Morning, MEUSA!


    Good Morning to the rest of tLodge!

  19. #759
    2147483647
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    23,315
    Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Good Afternoon Lodge!

    Hurricane info is scary. Know a few people who probably will lose their homes
    Lucky for us, we live far enough north and west we should be safe from most problems.

    There will be localized flooding im sure (up to 10" could fall), and some wind damage is possible (50 mph max around here i think).

    But i have a crawl space and dont live in a low lying area. So my only concern really is power outages.

  20. #760
    Opposite Girl
    Join Date
    Mar 2000
    Location
    Meffa, MA
    Posts
    29,824

    Re: Rep Retirement Lodge 197: Hot! Hot! Hot!

    Quote Originally Posted by JF_Gophers View Post
    Lucky for us, we live far enough north and west we should be safe from most problems.

    There will be localized flooding im sure (up to 10" could fall), and some wind damage is possible (50 mph max around here i think).

    But i have a crawl space and dont live in a low lying area. So my only concern really is power outages.
    Be safe!! Regardless of your location, I agree that power could be your biggest worry. Make sure you have flashlights! And stock up on water!!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •