Thread: Another Book Thread

Veteran

Another Book Thread

Hey, it's a new book thread, since the old one closed.

Goodreads had a question on their site that generated some heated responses - what is one book you hated, but everyone else loved?

Was surprised at the amount of hate for Catcher in the Rye. There was also a lot of Fifty Shades mentioned (never read them).

My answer - Eat Pray Love, and anything by Jane Austen.

I'm sure I could come up with more.

It was also interesting to see people mention books I loved (who hates To Kill a Mockingbird??? )
    Last edited by jen; 07-06-2018 at 07:28 AM.

Veteran

Re: Another Book Thread

Recent reads -

A Season in the Sun: The Rise of Mickey Mantle - Randy Roberts - this was kind of dry. About Mantle's 1956 Triple Crown season, with a little bit about earlier and later parts of his career (a lot about how fans did not embrace him until that season). One tidbit I found entertaining - he and Ted Williams were up for the batting title, so there was a bit about Williams. A catcher was complaining to the umpire about balls and strikes when Williams was batting, and the umpire told him "Mr. Williams will let you know when your pitcher throws a strike".

The Milk Lady of Bangalore: An Unexpected Adventure - Shoba Narayan - this was interesting, and a quick read. A native Indian moves from NYC back to India, and connects with a milk seller. There's a lot about cows and India's relationship with cows. Lots of cows. Many kinds of cows. It was an entertaining read.

Little Fires Everywhere - Celeste Ng - this book was the top rated book on Goodreads in 2017. Interesting, and some memorable characters. A "moral dilemma" kind of book about adoption and who has the right to raise a child (and why). May make you hate suburbia (if you didn't already).

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by jen View Post

Goodreads had a question on their site that generated some heated responses - what is one book you hated, but everyone else loved?

Was surprised at the amount of hate for Catcher in the Rye. There was also a lot of Fifty Shades mentioned (never read them).

It was also interesting to see people mention books I loved (who hates To Kill a Mockingbird??? )
    Charles Dickens anything
    Things Fall Apart
    Ordinary People
    Most other high school required reads

The only real reads that captured my mind were John Donne in high school and political philosophy in college. Post-college it has mainly been fiction novels.

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Charles Dickens anything
    Things Fall Apart
    Ordinary People
    Most other high school required reads

The only real reads that captured my mind were John Donne in high school and political philosophy in college. Post-college it has mainly been fiction novels.
    I donít like dickens either with one exception- tale of two cities. And I hated the first 100 pages. Probably the first time I came to love a book after loathing the beginning.

Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    I donít like dickens either with one exception- tale of two cities. And I hated the first 100 pages. Probably the first time I came to love a book after loathing the beginning.
    Same. Hated all other Dickens, but loved Tale of Two Cities - one of my favorites. Great Expectations still gives me nightmares.

Ender's Game.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

wubba lubba dub dub

The Great Gatsby. I hated every last character in that book. And yes, I understood its message.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

The President Is Missing, James Patterson and Bill Clinton.

Lady friend says it's really good. She couldn't put it down.
    A bad cause requires many words.

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Bad Blood - About Theranos, writtien the WSJ writer who broke the story. Crazy story. And I like the mention of all of the Palo Alto / Mountain View spots.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Fighting Sioux Hockey Fan

John Irving books.

My long time favorite was The World According to Garp. Then my wife (SWMBO) had me read A Prayer for Owen Meanie - wow what a great novel. Anybody have any other favorites?
    Fighting Sioux Forever

Did they differentiate between books that had great critical acclaim and books that were massive bestsellers?

To me those are two separate categories, a lot of books that are massive bestsellers like 50 Shades of Gray are loathed by the critics. While some greatest books of all time, per critics weren't huge hits or bestsellers at the time and get read now because students have to read them.

For me under the Critically acclaimed two stand out Ulysses and The Great Gatsby. I like Shakespeare and Dickens and love the Iliad and the Odyssey, which I am sure were high on the list.

For the huge bestseller, movie, popular buzz Cold Mountain would probably be at the top of my list, probably partially because I thought it would be more of a Civil War book than a romance novel. Another one would be Dutch Edmund Morris's biography of Ronald Reagan, I have loved his Theodore Roosevelt trilogy but this one was complete dreck.
    Last edited by Probert; 07-14-2018 at 07:33 AM.
    Oswego State Lakers 2007 NCAA Div III Champs

Adirondack Red Wings 4 time Calder Cup Champs 81,86,89 & 92

Thread Information