Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 449

Thread: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

  1. #21
    hockey
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Troy, NY
    Posts
    1,356
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMike View Post
    I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I find it interesting that our 12 incoming freshmen are all 6' and under and all are less than 200lbs. Any insight as to whether Coach Smith planned it this way and is trying to build a smaller, quicker team or if it was just by coincidence?
    Seth 2.0

  2. #22
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by rvd5star69 View Post
    Seth 2.0
    Seth did, in general, recruit tall defensemen and even more so tall goaltenders.

  3. #23
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    I think that I ask this question every offseason. Anyone want to guess the uniform numbers of the new players?

    Assuming that the players reported to be leaving are indeed leaving and no one changes their uniform number, these numbers will be unavailable for incoming players: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, and 35.

    These are the new players with the numbers which they last wore. Surprisingly, most are available.
    Ferner 2
    Bear 6
    Bowman 6
    Lee 11
    Linden 12
    Gornall 13
    Zieky 14
    DiGrande 18
    Leppanen 18
    Johnson 23
    Lacka 27
    Hallbauer 28
    Savory 31

    I apologize for any errors.

  4. #24
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Today is 4 July 2018. There are 95 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Dillsburg, PA
    Posts
    1,652

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Things are a little slow on the hockey front right now, so I happened to take a glance at RPI's men's soccer schedule for the upcoming season.

    To my surprise, I found Hartwick listed among the opponents.

    I said "Hartwick? They're Division I in soccer. What is our team doing playing them?"

    Well, it seems that although Hartwick has a long tradition of Division I soccer and even won the national championship in 1977, the school decided during the past offseason to move the soccer program down to Division III. Evidently they had to scramble around to put together a Division III schedule for 2018, and RPI was able to accommodate them for a game.

    During my own student days in the late 1960's, RPI's soccer program was also classified as Division I. As I recall, RPI actually played Hartwick in an opening round game in the NCAA tournament in either 1969 or 1970. And the Engineers shocked the Hawks, who hadn't given up more than one goal in a game all year, by scoring three times in the first half and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

    But it was too good to last. Hartwick came back with four goals in the second half and won the game, 5-3.

  6. #26
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Today is 5 July 2018. There are 94 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  7. #27
    RPI'88, BU'99
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    North Shore, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,639

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    During my own student days in the late 1960's, RPI's soccer program was also classified as Division I. As I recall, RPI actually played Hartwick in an opening round game in the NCAA tournament in either 1969 or 1970. And the Engineers shocked the Hawks, who hadn't given up more than one goal in a game all year, by scoring three times in the first half and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

    But it was too good to last. Hartwick came back with four goals in the second half and won the game, 5-3.
    Nice story. It's always interesting to see the memories some of the folks on this board are able to conjure up. Much better to read than whining about refs for instance.

  8. #28
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by Waite21 View Post
    Things are a little slow on the hockey front right now, so I happened to take a glance at RPI's men's soccer schedule for the upcoming season.

    To my surprise, I found Hartwick listed among the opponents.

    I said "Hartwick? They're Division I in soccer. What is our team doing playing them?"

    Well, it seems that although Hartwick has a long tradition of Division I soccer and even won the national championship in 1977, the school decided during the past offseason to move the soccer program down to Division III. Evidently they had to scramble around to put together a Division III schedule for 2018, and RPI was able to accommodate them for a game.

    During my own student days in the late 1960's, RPI's soccer program was also classified as Division I. As I recall, RPI actually played Hartwick in an opening round game in the NCAA tournament in either 1969 or 1970. And the Engineers shocked the Hawks, who hadn't given up more than one goal in a game all year, by scoring three times in the first half and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

    But it was too good to last. Hartwick came back with four goals in the second half and won the game, 5-3.
    Several of the D-III schools who played up in other sports and were involved with the effort to keep scholarships about a dozen years ago have now given up.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    Several of the D-III schools who played up in other sports and were involved with the effort to keep scholarships about a dozen years ago have now given up.
    They're getting squeezed financially. Few, if any, D3 coaches make the D1 starting salary of over $100K. I would even venture that a D1 assistant makes more than most D3 head coaches.

    Add in the cost of scholarships, travel, and the fringe benefits (private weight rooms, lounges, meeting / film rooms, and you're talking a pretty penny.

    If the sport doesn't generate the revenue to cover the expenses, it can become too much of a burden to a cash strapped school without $$$ infusions from the alumni and corporations.

    So they drop down to D3, offer aid that drops the cost to about $25K - $30K, cut travel, cut coaches & salaries and it becomes affordable while still keeping the student body number up. Even if the $$ giving cuts back, the sport becomes financially viable within the D3 framework.

    Tradition stands little chance against a sea of red ink.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Trumbull, CT
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    They're getting squeezed financially. Few, if any, D3 coaches make the D1 starting salary of over $100K. I would even venture that a D1 assistant makes more than most D3 head coaches.

    Add in the cost of scholarships, travel, and the fringe benefits (private weight rooms, lounges, meeting / film rooms, and you're talking a pretty penny.

    If the sport doesn't generate the revenue to cover the expenses, it can become too much of a burden to a cash strapped school without $$$ infusions from the alumni and corporations.

    So they drop down to D3, offer aid that drops the cost to about $25K - $30K, cut travel, cut coaches & salaries and it becomes affordable while still keeping the student body number up. Even if the $$ giving cuts back, the sport becomes financially viable within the D3 framework.

    Tradition stands little chance against a sea of red ink.
    Donít forget Title IX, which effectively doubles the costs. To stay compliant with their D-I menís soccer team, Hartwick also played D-I womenís water polo, which they also dropped.

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    South Side, HFH
    Posts
    1,075

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by tony/troy View Post
    Quote from a previous posting "And as for Tom, running away from a problem never solved anything".

    Absolutely no clue how anyone can read Tom's I'm Leaving post and rationally conclude the HE is running away from anything.

    HE has simply decided that he will no longer volunteer his time and efforts to an administration and management HE no longer believes is deserving or worthy of it. HE is hardly alone in that belief.

    He clearly and concisely listed multiple behaviors, attitudes and tactics of the institute's administration and management that lead HIM, as HE stated bluntly in HIS post, to feel "embarrassed and ashamed" of the very institution HE graduated from.

    Obviously, He reached the determination that HE and HIS name was engaged (all be it on an UNPAID VOLUNTARY BASIS) with an endeavor without merit. Once someone determines that, one withdraws. PERIOD!!! THE END!!!

    Any expectation level by anyone who somehow, someway believes that HE should continue volunteering HIS time and efforts to this organization and terms HIS not doing so "running away" would ALL find their rationality, lucidity and ability to read and comprehend questioned by ME.

    LEAVE THE MAN ALONE!!! HE HAS DONE MORE THAN ENOUGH AND DID IT FOR EIGHT YEARS!!! Besides, HE now has far better things to do with HIS discretionary time. Namely, a family that now includes a toddler.
    I agree with tony/troy and Ralph. Tom has more than earned it. Tom, thanks for WaP and werpi hockey. We will be RPI Proud again.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Southern AZ
    Posts
    125

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Also on a non-hockey topic... Congratulations to RPI's Grant O'Connor for winning the NCAA Div. III track and field 5,000 meter outdoor NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP a couple of weeks ago. An amazing individual achievement. His winning time of 14:26 is a few seconds better than my son's personal best who runs the same event at the Div. I level. Fantastic!!

  13. #33
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    So apparently the RPI Alumni Email for Life website has been shutdown. I get an error message saying invalid certificate. Now, I don't know much about this, but my IT friend says it's not very hard to renew, but RPI has to do it. A little notice would have been nice.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  14. #34
    Made in the USA
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    45,168

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    So apparently the RPI Alumni Email for Life website has been shutdown. I get an error message saying invalid certificate. Now, I don't know much about this, but my IT friend says it's not very hard to renew, but RPI has to do it. A little notice would have been nice.
    I was wondering why I wasn't getting any more of those...
    It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

    "Better to be infamous than never famous at all." -Roger Stone

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

  15. #35
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Must've not have liked what I emailed to Ralph.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    53

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Thanks. I thought it was my problem.

  17. #37
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by jericho View Post
    So apparently the RPI Alumni Email for Life website has been shutdown. I get an error message saying invalid certificate. Now, I don't know much about this, but my IT friend says it's not very hard to renew, but RPI has to do it. A little notice would have been nice.
    What happens to mail that people send to that address? I used that address for a lot of things, but I don't really know what.


    Edit: I tried emailing to that address, and it still forwards mail.
    Last edited by Ralph Baer; 07-05-2018 at 09:24 PM.

  18. #38
    mascot extraordinaire
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    8,180

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    What happens to mail that people send to that address? I used that address for a lot of things, but I don't really know what.


    Edit: I tried emailing to that address, and it still forwards mail.
    The mail still works, but the secure certificate for the site expired. It's something that RPI has to take care on their end, as it involves payment of their vendor. I can't imagine that that is the administrtion's way of saving money. Hell, Ray Tomlinson, who INVENTED email, is a member of the RPI Hall of Fame, so even though Ray is no longer with us, it shouldn't be that hard.
    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

    WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

  19. #39
    RIP WaP Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    191,575

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    Today is 6 July 2018. There are 93 days until RPI's next game.


    This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    53

    Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

    I can't use RPI email on windows but my iphone is working.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 7 users browsing this thread. (2 members and 5 guests)

  1. rsfs04

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •