Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I wonder who is the third skater on his line. He hasn't been mentioned on any of the tweets which you posted,
    .....that would be Zach Jordan a camp invite from UN-O......
    Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 2 July 2018. There are 97 days until RPI's next game.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I find it interesting that our 12 incoming freshmen are all 6' and under and all are less than 200lbs. Any insight as to whether Coach Smith planned it this way and is trying to build a smaller, quicker team or if it was just by coincidence?

Comment

Another +95 day in CD. Here’s a look at Ottawa’s 3x3 tourney if you care to enjoy some hockey today....
          Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Today is 3 July 2018. There are 96 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonMike View Post
              I'm sure this has already been discussed, but I find it interesting that our 12 incoming freshmen are all 6' and under and all are less than 200lbs. Any insight as to whether Coach Smith planned it this way and is trying to build a smaller, quicker team or if it was just by coincidence?
              Seth 2.0
              I bleed CHERRY AND WHITE

Comment

Originally posted by rvd5star69 View Post
                Seth 2.0
                Seth did, in general, recruit tall defensemen and even more so tall goaltenders.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

I think that I ask this question every offseason. Anyone want to guess the uniform numbers of the new players?

Assuming that the players reported to be leaving are indeed leaving and no one changes their uniform number, these numbers will be unavailable for incoming players: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, 24, 25, 26, 29, and 35.

These are the new players with the numbers which they last wore. Surprisingly, most are available.
                  Ferner 2
                  Bear 6
                  Bowman 6
                  Lee 11
                  Linden 12
                  Gornall 13
                  Zieky 14
                  DiGrande 18
                  Leppanen 18
                  Johnson 23
                  Lacka 27
                  Hallbauer 28
                  Savory 31

I apologize for any errors.
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 4 July 2018. There are 95 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Things are a little slow on the hockey front right now, so I happened to take a glance at RPI's men's soccer schedule for the upcoming season.

To my surprise, I found Hartwick listed among the opponents.

I said "Hartwick? They're Division I in soccer. What is our team doing playing them?"

Well, it seems that although Hartwick has a long tradition of Division I soccer and even won the national championship in 1977, the school decided during the past offseason to move the soccer program down to Division III. Evidently they had to scramble around to put together a Division III schedule for 2018, and RPI was able to accommodate them for a game.

During my own student days in the late 1960's, RPI's soccer program was also classified as Division I. As I recall, RPI actually played Hartwick in an opening round game in the NCAA tournament in either 1969 or 1970. And the Engineers shocked the Hawks, who hadn't given up more than one goal in a game all year, by scoring three times in the first half and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

But it was too good to last. Hartwick came back with four goals in the second half and won the game, 5-3.

Comment

Today is 5 July 2018. There are 94 days until RPI's next game.

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                          During my own student days in the late 1960's, RPI's soccer program was also classified as Division I. As I recall, RPI actually played Hartwick in an opening round game in the NCAA tournament in either 1969 or 1970. And the Engineers shocked the Hawks, who hadn't given up more than one goal in a game all year, by scoring three times in the first half and taking a 3-1 lead into halftime.

But it was too good to last. Hartwick came back with four goals in the second half and won the game, 5-3.
                          Nice story. It's always interesting to see the memories some of the folks on this board are able to conjure up. Much better to read than whining about refs for instance.

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                            Things are a little slow on the hockey front right now, so I happened to take a glance at RPI's men's soccer schedule for the upcoming season.

To my surprise, I found Hartwick listed among the opponents.

I said "Hartwick? They're Division I in soccer. What is our team doing playing them?"

Well, it seems that although Hartwick has a long tradition of Division I soccer and even won the national championship in 1977, the school decided during the past offseason to move the soccer program down to Division III. Evidently they had to scramble around to put together a Division III schedule for 2018, and RPI was able to accommodate them for a game.

Several of the D-III schools who played up in other sports and were involved with the effort to keep scholarships about a dozen years ago have now given up.
                            sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                              Several of the D-III schools who played up in other sports and were involved with the effort to keep scholarships about a dozen years ago have now given up.
                              They're getting squeezed financially. Few, if any, D3 coaches make the D1 starting salary of over $100K. I would even venture that a D1 assistant makes more than most D3 head coaches.

Add in the cost of scholarships, travel, and the fringe benefits (private weight rooms, lounges, meeting / film rooms, and you're talking a pretty penny.

If the sport doesn't generate the revenue to cover the expenses, it can become too much of a burden to a cash strapped school without $$$ infusions from the alumni and corporations.

So they drop down to D3, offer aid that drops the cost to about $25K - $30K, cut travel, cut coaches & salaries and it becomes affordable while still keeping the student body number up. Even if the $$ giving cuts back, the sport becomes financially viable within the D3 framework.

Tradition stands little chance against a sea of red ink.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                They're getting squeezed financially. Few, if any, D3 coaches make the D1 starting salary of over $100K. I would even venture that a D1 assistant makes more than most D3 head coaches.

Add in the cost of scholarships, travel, and the fringe benefits (private weight rooms, lounges, meeting / film rooms, and you're talking a pretty penny.

If the sport doesn't generate the revenue to cover the expenses, it can become too much of a burden to a cash strapped school without $$$ infusions from the alumni and corporations.

So they drop down to D3, offer aid that drops the cost to about $25K - $30K, cut travel, cut coaches & salaries and it becomes affordable while still keeping the student body number up. Even if the $$ giving cuts back, the sport becomes financially viable within the D3 framework.

Tradition stands little chance against a sea of red ink.
                                Don’t forget Title IX, which effectively doubles the costs. To stay compliant with their D-I men’s soccer team, Hartwick also played D-I women’s water polo, which they also dropped.

Comment

Working...
                                X