RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
    Why is this a big deal? At this point we know who left and who is coming in. I just did a quick scan and most teams have updated their rosters, but many (Clarkson, SLU, QU, etc.) have not. I know recent seasons have been frustrating, but now it seems like we are just looking for reasons to be bothered.
    I didn't call it a big deal, I used the term irritant. Think of a steady drip ...of let downs and flat out failures...,a la water torture ....

In no particular order, a few "irritants" that pop into my head:

- They hire a new AC, ostensibly to replace their tragically injured AC, and throw out a press release only to quickly pull the release, pretending they never wrote one. A bit later they then refer to said mystery "new staff member" in the golf outing invite, assuming people know what the **** they are talking about.

- the president and AD mention grand plans of further extensive renovations to HFH with fundraising underway....anyone heard a recent update on how that effort is going ??? (Crickets chirping...)

- they hire a search firm that's never worked in D1 hockey , they ignore any/all hockey alumni of note in the coaching search...then expect everyone to sing kumbyah when the hire is announced...bad form by anyone's measure...

I could keep going, but what's the point really? As Flaggy has so faithfully maintained, nothing will change as long as Shirley remains as dictator. We can only hope the program survives until she departs.

RECENT seasons have been frustrating ?? Wow. That might be the understatement of the year. The team hasn't sniffed a trip to Lake Placid since Fridge was here !!! Recent ???? HAAAAA
    ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

Not that this is going to make anyone feel a whole lot better, but although the team hasn't made a trip to Lake Placid since Fridge was here, it could be argued that they were close enough to smell it in 2013.

That year, the team went 11-1 in their last 12 league games to finish in second place in the ECACH standings at the end of the regular season. They swept all four meetings with Clarkson and St. Lawrence, as well as both meetings with Yale, who went on to win the national championship.

All that earned them a first-round bye and a quarterfinal matchup with Brown. Brown surprised them in the first game of the best-of-three series, but after a dominating 6-2 victory in game 2, a trip to Lake Placid the next weekend seemed like a sure thing.

Then the Brown goalie stood on his head and stole game 3 for the Bears.

Though it is popular on this board to blame Dr. Shirley Jackson for everything under the sun, I don't think she served as the inspiration for his performance.

Comment

Today is 16 August 2018. There are 52 days until RPI's next game and still no roster.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
          Not that this is going to make anyone feel a whole lot better, but although the team hasn't made a trip to Lake Placid since Fridge was here, it could be argued that they were close enough to smell it in 2013.

That year, the team went 11-1 in their last 12 league games to finish in second place in the ECACH standings at the end of the regular season. They swept all four meetings with Clarkson and St. Lawrence, as well as both meetings with Yale, who went on to win the national championship.

All that earned them a first-round bye and a quarterfinal matchup with Brown. Brown surprised them in the first game of the best-of-three series, but after a dominating 6-2 victory in game 2, a trip to Lake Placid the next weekend seemed like a sure thing.

Though it is popular on this board to blame Dr. Shirley Jackson for everything under the sun, I don't think she served as the inspiration for his performance.
          Wasn't the ECAC final four still in Atlantic City in 2013?
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Waite21 View Post

We were just as close to smelling it in 2009, even though it was a terrible season, and to Ralph's credit, it was in Albany that year. Yes, we choke when push comes to shove. I don't think anyone's putting the team's performance on anyone but the team as a whole.

There's more that goes into this than just the game itself, although that's what we're privileged to see with our dollars. There's everything that happens beforehand in putting together the performance and hyping the public (along with what WS already mentioned), and then there's after the performance: We've given the cash, we've been entertained, now what do they do with it? From what Without a Peer reported, the empress is putting it into the slus- er "general" fund. She's running out of money to fund her totalitarian empire, so she has to find another source. If what WaP wrote is true (and I see no reason as to why he'd fib), don't you think the golf outing money raised would just go to the slush fund? Knowing that, why would people want to go?

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
              I didn't call it a big deal, I used the term irritant. Think of a steady drip ...of let downs and flat out failures...,a la water torture ....

In no particular order, a few "irritants" that pop into my head:

- They hire a new AC, ostensibly to replace their tragically injured AC, and throw out a press release only to quickly pull the release, pretending they never wrote one. A bit later they then refer to said mystery "new staff member" in the golf outing invite, assuming people know what the **** they are talking about.

- the president and AD mention grand plans of further extensive renovations to HFH with fundraising underway....anyone heard a recent update on how that effort is going ??? (Crickets chirping...)

- they hire a search firm that's never worked in D1 hockey , they ignore any/all hockey alumni of note in the coaching search...then expect everyone to sing kumbyah when the hire is announced...bad form by anyone's measure...

I could keep going, but what's the point really? As Flaggy has so faithfully maintained, nothing will change as long as Shirley remains as dictator. We can only hope the program survives until she departs.

RECENT seasons have been frustrating ?? Wow. That might be the understatement of the year. The team hasn't sniffed a trip to Lake Placid since Fridge was here !!! Recent ???? HAAAAA
              I get it, but I really think the roster thing is trivial.

As for the assistant coach release I'll bet that was an innocent issue. My guess is that Nolan hadn't been officially accepted for a long-term disability status yet so they couldn't officially announce a new coach and be compliant with NCAA rules. They really are dealing with a unique situation and I hope they are doing so in a manner that is best for all concerned.

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

[QUOTE=rpi82;6690681]I get it, but I really think the roster thing is trivial.

As for the assistant coach release I'll bet that was an innocent issue. My guess is that Nolan hadn't been officially accepted for a long-term disability status yet so they couldn't officially announce a new coach and be compliant with NCAA rules. They really are dealing with a unique situation and I hope they are doing so in a manner that is best for all concerned.[/QUOTE

I totally agree with RPI 82. I think the AC matter is likely as he describes it. That explanation makes the most sense. As to the roster and all the pining for the best years in the past dozen: I believe the consensus was that we needed to give Coach Smith a few years to show us what he could do. Well we aren't there yet and the team is quickly, though not completely yet, taking on his mark. I could care less when the roster is posted or whether SAJ is the one to point the finger at. What will be most telling is what the team does on the ice and whether we see improvement in the performance and in the number of wins. I think we are all a bit anxious to see what all the changes will bring, but as Ralph Baer daily reminds us (and we are grateful for Ralph being the glue that holds us together)...it won't be long now.

Comment

Has anyone noticed that the lacrosse coaching staff appears to have undergone a case of "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome". Just like good old Chuck all those years ago, the head coach appears to have simply vanished in to thin air without anyone hearing or knowing a thing about it. Not aware of a single mention of it anywhere until the announcement that a new lacrosse coach was hired. Guess it was just assumed no one would ever notice. Has that consulting firm now been retained to croak people and do they use the "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome" to do it? Guess younger folks are probably doing a search for "Chuck Cunningham Syndrome".

Comment

Today is 17 August 2018. There are 51 days until RPI's next game and still no roster.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                        sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-17-2018, 08:27 AM.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

Is #12 Ture Linden?
                            Only the roster knows....😜
                            ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

• Originally posted by Waite21 View Post
                              ....Though it is popular on this board to blame Dr. Shirley Jackson for everything under the sun, I don't think she served as the inspiration for his performance.
                              Completely disagree. Of course she can't skate and put the puck in the net. But financial support aside, by all reasonable measures she is at best indifferent to the program. She struggles to attend one game a season, with the luxury box staring out empty and dark, an insult to the faithful most evenings.

Contrast this approach with Clarkson's President who paid for the CCT band's travel to Ireland so they could be a part of the Friendship 4 trip last year (This as told by a CCT band member)

I'm fine with giving Smitty time -- he's on the clock now given the roster purge ... my rub as I stated, is the admin, the off ice and continuing fan relations ineptitude.
                              Last edited by Wicked Slappaahs; 08-17-2018, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post

.....maybe they sent a plate of Slovakian food to Michael Cameron & it’s not sitting well.
                                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Working...
                                X