Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: RPI 2018 Off-Season Part II: In Memory of WaP

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
    I should have stated that the mini-semester which I referred to was after the winter Holidays.

Also, we didn't get off for GM day. OTOH there was free beer every evening that week either in the parking lot between the HFH and the BARH or in the HFH, depending upon the weather (lousy beer). That was more-or-less stopped when the NY drinking age was raised from 18 to 21. Oh, and there also were strippers there hired by the political parties. That was stopped when RPI started to have a significant number of female students. And don't think that you missed much -- most of the strippers weren't good looking and they only stripped to bikinis.
    Well, there was a time when the empress wanted everyone to study abroad during the winter, I assume to bring back full price international customers, and that's why the start of the 2nd semester was pushed back for a while.

I thought I heard that, at one point, the entire GM week was off? May not have been your era, but perhaps someone in between could confirm.

Comment

Originally posted by FlagDUDE08 View Post
      Well, there was a time when the empress wanted everyone to study abroad during the winter, I assume to bring back full price international customers, and that's why the start of the 2nd semester was pushed back for a while.

I thought I heard that, at one point, the entire GM week was off? May not have been your era, but perhaps someone in between could confirm.
      There was a GM week the entire time I was at RPI with campaigning and elections. Other aspects, e.g. beer were changing. When I was a grad student I was not paying much attention because I don't think that grad students could vote. Also as a TA, all but my last year, it would probably have been a conflict of interest to attend.
      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

There was a GM week the entire time I was at RPI with campaigning and elections. Other aspects, e.g. beer were changing. When I was a grad student I was not paying much attention because I don't think that grad students could vote. Also as a TA, all but my last year, it would probably have been a conflict of interest to attend.
        Oh, I don't doubt that there's a GM week. Same as when I was there. Only difference is, we had classes for 4 of the days of GM week. From what I understand, there was a time when there were classes for 0 days during GM week.

Comment

Oh, I don't doubt that there's a GM week. Same as when I was there. Only difference is, we had classes for 4 of the days of GM week. From what I understand, there was a time when there were classes for 0 days during GM week.
          If there was a time that there were no classes during GM week, it was not when I was there.
          Last edited by Ralph Baer; 08-19-2018, 05:53 PM.
          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

A few asked about the golf outing and the lack of information coming back from it. I was there and can fill in a bit. Likely some of the reason you haven't seen any comments on it...is that it was rather lightly attended from years past. A total of 20 groups (not all being foursomes) were in attendance. Weather (thankfully) held out nicely - some sprinkles at the end but the real rain didn't start until we sat down for dinner. A perk about lower attendance is the day on the course moves quicker and overall the day ends earlier. For those with drives home, it's appreciated.

Dana McGuane was not in attendance, for as you know he's abroad at the 5 Nations tournament. His son, Patrick, was there as has become custom. Also not there physically was Nolan, however he was there in spirit. Coach made a point of passing on word of Nolan, and to thank the RPI family for their continued thoughts and prayers to his family. During the event, I was told that Nolan plans to move back to BC as he recuperates. He's had a very tough road, and that's going to continue for some time. For those who know him, by all means reach out, as the interaction (even just on Twitter) helps a lot.

The boys were out in force on the tee boxes; many provided extra shots when asked, which was a nice return that that form. On one hole, as you saw, teams were required to putt using a hockey stick which was a nice addition. As we all know, there are many newbies this year, and they are all eager to get going. One thing that they cut from the dinner program was the player introductions - name, position, year, major - and I hope they bring that back.

The auction portion of the dinner was downright awkward. Not sure if it was related to the lighter attendance, frustration with the program's record of late, or frustration with the administration itself, but people were not opening their pocketbooks for anything. Signed Adam Oates jerseys went for $100 and $90. The experience on the bench, which has gone the last few years for $1000 or more, went for $300. I felt bad for Al Shibley, who emceed the event and ran that part.

As my form of silent protest, I wore my "Renew Rensselaer" pin during the event - it got a few looks at time from some members of the administration, but no comments. It did lead to a nice conversation with one of the members of the team, however - and we spoke about last fall's protest, and the Greek fiasco of late.
            Proud founder of the First Church of RPI Hockey

Comment

If there was a time that there were no classes during GM week, it was not when I was there.
              I was there roughly the same time period, and I agree that classes were held during GM week.

In those days, GM week coincided with h-e-hockeysticks week for the fraternities. The fraternities made it obligatory for all pledges to attend all their classes during that week, regardless of how much (or little) sleep they were getting.

I can remember attending freshman classes to which the pledges would shuffle in, wearing their outlandish getups and carrying their paddles. It was not uncommon for professors to call a brief halt to proceedings midway through a class so that those who had fallen asleep could be awakened.

Comment

Today is 20 August 2018. There are 48 days until RPI's next game and still no roster.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by hawthr View Post
                  A few asked about the golf outing and the lack of information coming back from it. I was there and can fill in a bit. Likely some of the reason you haven't seen any comments on it...is that it was rather lightly attended from years past. A total of 20 groups (not all being foursomes) were in attendance. Weather (thankfully) held out nicely - some sprinkles at the end but the real rain didn't start until we sat down for dinner. A perk about lower attendance is the day on the course moves quicker and overall the day ends earlier. For those with drives home, it's appreciated.

Dana McGuane was not in attendance, for as you know he's abroad at the 5 Nations tournament. His son, Patrick, was there as has become custom. Also not there physically was Nolan, however he was there in spirit. Coach made a point of passing on word of Nolan, and to thank the RPI family for their continued thoughts and prayers to his family. During the event, I was told that Nolan plans to move back to BC as he recuperates. He's had a very tough road, and that's going to continue for some time. For those who know him, by all means reach out, as the interaction (even just on Twitter) helps a lot.

The boys were out in force on the tee boxes; many provided extra shots when asked, which was a nice return that that form. On one hole, as you saw, teams were required to putt using a hockey stick which was a nice addition. As we all know, there are many newbies this year, and they are all eager to get going. One thing that they cut from the dinner program was the player introductions - name, position, year, major - and I hope they bring that back.

The auction portion of the dinner was downright awkward. Not sure if it was related to the lighter attendance, frustration with the program's record of late, or frustration with the administration itself, but people were not opening their pocketbooks for anything. Signed Adam Oates jerseys went for $100 and $90. The experience on the bench, which has gone the last few years for $1000 or more, went for $300. I felt bad for Al Shibley, who emceed the event and ran that part.

As my form of silent protest, I wore my "Renew Rensselaer" pin during the event - it got a few looks at time from some members of the administration, but no comments. It did lead to a nice conversation with one of the members of the team, however - and we spoke about last fall's protest, and the Greek fiasco of late.
                  Thanks for the report. Did you notice any absences or presences among upper classmen which are not what we have been expecting?
                  sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Today is 21 August 2018. There are 47 days until RPI's next game and still no roster.

This is based upon 7 October 2018 for the start of next season.
                    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Ken Ralph is going to Maine. https://www.uscho.com/2018/08/20/ral...role-at-maine/
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Wow, eleven years went by really fast.
                        And for Dude, I would like to point out that he gave props to the CC president for her support of his program. Just sayin.
                        Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                        Benjamin Franklin
                        The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                        Gary Player

Comment

• Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                          What are your thoughts on him?
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by engineerhockeyfan View Post
                            Wow, eleven years went by really fast.
                            And for Dude, I would like to point out that he gave props to the CC president for her support of his program. Just sayin.
                            Not sure why I would care about that in this case, but so be it. Ken definitely knows how to run a program as AD, and he's definitely deserving to step up to the D-I level. I'm sure he will do very well there.

Comment

Not sure why I would care about that in this case, but so be it. Ken definitely knows how to run a program as AD, and he's definitely deserving to step up to the D-I level. I'm sure he will do very well there.
                              I just thought that you would appreciate the fact that some college presidents care about their teams.
                              Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
                              Benjamin Franklin
                              The harder I practice, the luckier I get.
                              Gary Player

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                                What are your thoughts on him?
                                He was very interested in the hockey program and supported it when the D-3 hierarchy wanted to eliminate scholarships for teams playing up. I was happier with him than the current AD.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X