Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 183

Thread: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

  1. #1
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,523

    USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Getting away from food network titles considering they stopped being about the food years ago.

    Vidalia onions are the only onions I buy when they are in season. Agree with the others, they go GREAT in sauces.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  2. #2
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Getting away from food network titles considering they stopped being about the food years ago.
    Good call. I'd love to see Alton Brown move to his own Netflix or Amazon series, but I'm sure the size of his ex-wife's divorce settlement precludes it.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  3. #3
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,523

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Good call. I'd love to see Alton Brown move to his own Netflix or Amazon series, but I'm sure the size of his ex-wife's divorce settlement precludes it.
    That's almost certainly why Food Network picked up Good Eats 2 instead of it being 100% web like was originally planned.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West.

  4. #4
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    dx, good call. I haven't watched Food Network in years. Seems like everyone I used to like (other than Alton) is just phoning it in.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  5. #5
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    "I've had my fill of healthy. I'm looking to go unhealthy. Spitefully unhealthy."- Anthony Bourdain

    What's something I could try that's decadent? Seems like all I could muster this weekend for "unhealthy" was beer and a cocktail.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  6. #6
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    "I've had my fill of healthy. I'm looking to go unhealthy. Spitefully unhealthy."- Anthony Bourdain

    What's something I could try that's decadent? Seems like all I could muster this weekend for "unhealthy" was beer and a cocktail.
    "Your body is not a temple - it's an amusement park."

    Depends on your price tag.

  7. #7
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275
    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    "Your body is not a temple - it's an amusement park."

    Depends on your price tag.
    Right now, I would take a nice stuffed French toast for breakfast.

    Lucy's Cafe in Grand Rapids has a blueberry and cream cheese filled croissant.

    Could go back to Marquette and get the waffle fries from Vango's and a more decadent dish from Casa Calabria.

    New Holland Dragon's Milk.

    Mac fudge ice cream.

    If nothing else, explore the dessert section of Fannie Farmer and see what I can do.

  8. #8
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    I think you've found your answers.

    If you're just look for something quick and private, some sort of an entire Haagen Dasz pint would fit the bill...just never read the grid of numbers on the package.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  9. #9
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Getting away from food network titles considering they stopped being about the food years ago.
    Vidalia onions are the only onions I buy when they are in season. Agree with the others, they go GREAT in sauces.
    Here too. I have every (or pretty close to every) Good Eats episode recorded thanks to Cooking Channel and late night Food Network. For awhile I was watching the Chew a lot. Now I read a lot of Serious Eats (Kenji Lopez-Alt) and watch America's Test Kitchen on PBS. I've tried a few other PBS shows with varying interest levels (Ming Tsai's is hit or miss; I have about 8 of Jacques Pepin's that I've kept because the visuals help with the technique in a written recipe).

  10. #10
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445
    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Right now, I would take a nice stuffed French toast for breakfast.

    Lucy's Cafe in Grand Rapids has a blueberry and cream cheese filled croissant.

    Could go back to Marquette and get the waffle fries from Vango's and a more decadent dish from Casa Calabria.

    New Holland Dragon's Milk.

    Mac fudge ice cream.

    If nothing else, explore the dessert section of Fannie Farmer and see what I can do.
    Can't believe Fanny still exists. Back at the height of late 90s prosperity, we were not only giving boxes of Trinidads to my father's subordinate managers at Christmastime, but even the mailman.

  11. #11
    TDS Index Case FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    An Airport Near You
    Posts
    29,445

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    ATK is the best we've got, even without Pretentious Chris.

    Who here remembers when Ming was a FoodTV star, right next to Sara Moulton?
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

  12. #12
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    ATK is the best we've got, even without Pretentious Chris.

    Who here remembers when Ming was a FoodTV star, right next to Sara Moulton?
    The bad guy from Flash Gordon was a cooking show star?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  13. #13
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I think you've found your answers.

    If you're just look for something quick and private, some sort of an entire Haagen Dasz pint would fit the bill...just never read the grid of numbers on the package.
    1. Going spitefully unhealthy in a group is much more fun.

    2. Serving sizes on ice cream are jokes. A proper serving of ice cream is when my spoon has emptied the pint of its contents.

    Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Can't believe Fanny still exists. Back at the height of late 90s prosperity, we were not only giving boxes of Trinidads to my father's subordinate managers at Christmastime, but even the mailman.
    I have the 100th anniversary edition of that and the 75th anniversary of JOY. They're the cookbooks I always come back to.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  14. #14
    Short/Round bostonewe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    11,751

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    2. Serving sizes on ice cream are jokes. A proper serving of ice cream is when my spoon has emptied the pint of its contents.
    Ehh - It's when you're full/done with eating...it doesn't have to be the whole pint.

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    I have the 100th anniversary edition of that and the 75th anniversary of JOY. They're the cookbooks I always come back to.
    Me too. I have a bunch of basic/introductory cookbooks (Bittman's How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian; Ruhlman's Twenty; 75th of Joy of Cooking) and I still always go back to Joy of Cooking.

  15. #15
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by bostonewe View Post
    Ehh - It's when you're full/done with eating...it doesn't have to be the whole pint.
    I'm inclined to agree with the Missy.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  16. #16
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    I'm inclined to agree with the Missy.
    Knowing the way I eat ice cream, this is why I don't bring home half-gallons.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  17. #17
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    40,275

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Yes! My opportunity to go "spitefully unhealthy" comes on Saturday. My trans support group is having a cookout, with tube steaks, ice cream, and apple pie.
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  18. #18
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    31,043

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Yes! My opportunity to go "spitefully unhealthy" comes on Saturday. My trans support group is having a cookout, with tube steaks, ice cream, and apple pie.
    I don't think I've ever seen an actual tube steak. [Insert joke here.]
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

    "Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

  19. #19
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    milwaukee
    Posts
    13,312

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Got some raspberries at the farmers' market last week, and some overripe discount mangoes (3 for $2!! couldn't slice them, but perfect for pureeing) and made mango-raspberry sorbet. I believe I have captured summer in my freezer. It's delicious.

    Also, I have an experiment planned for next week - mini caneles.
    Last edited by jen; 07-10-2018 at 07:21 AM.

  20. #20
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,523

    Re: USCHO Cooks: Are you our Top Chef?

    Got a call from my mom yesterday saying she wanted to see her son since I’ve been in the road the last month. Decided to invite her over and do something special.

    Smoked a rack of ribs and a pork butt. I haven’t done a butt in so many years because mine never quite came out right*. This time it did. It needed another hour or two to be pulled pork and didn’t want to wait so I just chopped it and it was awesome. Best ribs I’ve ever made as well. Plus the smoked bacon potato salad was killer too.

    The house smells real pretty right now.

    *Which is why I also did ribs. Need to have a good backup plan. And ribs I’ve got down pat.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •