• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Providence Friars 2018 / 2019

New coach announced for the Friars:

http://www.friars.com/sports/w-hocke...061818aab.html

Re: Providence Friars 2018 / 2019

Very interesting hire.....should be able to bring in some USA players you would think.
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Have to really question the AD on this move. He had a veteran coach with the program on the right track and the AD replaces him with somebody who has never been a head coach and no playing career to speak of. As a scout for USA Hockey you have no relationship with the players, so that point is worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by In the blue View Post
        Have to really question the AD on this move. He had a veteran coach with the program on the right track and the AD replaces him with somebody who has never been a head coach and no playing career to speak of. As a scout for USA Hockey you have no relationship with the players, so that point is worthless.
        I agree...even if it was time for a change, they could have done better on a replacement.

Comment

Originally posted by WH Fan View Post
          I agree...even if it was time for a change, they could have done better on a replacement.
          You'll get no argument from me (I know....how often have I said that on this forum?! ). Seriously though, this move doesn't add up. Something must have happened behind the scenes for BD to have been fired. Maybe the players ganged up and complained about him. It obviously wouldn't be the first time!
          Last edited by shelfit; 06-29-2018, 11:39 AM.

Comment

If this was men's hockey, would anyone question replacing a coach that just had his first winning season since 2010-11? I wouldn't have had a problem with Deraney continuing as coach at PC, but they may have felt that after 20 years, one NCAA bid, and not making a HEA semi since 2013, it was time to try something else.

As for Kelly, he is at least familiar with the talent pool and has contacts in the coaching community. That has value. He is respected by other college coaches, if not by those who post here.
            "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
            And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I remember reading similar comments when UMD hired Maura Crowell. I don’t know enough about the former coach to comment but Kelly’s time with USA hockey and the connections he has made can only be a plus. Time will tell.

Comment

I can't speak to why Deraney got fired but I know from at least one player on that team that is very upset that he is gone. Personally, I think Matt Kelly is a GREAT hire for Providence. He's very personable and clearly has connections throughout the US. I'll take gentlemanly wagers that we'll look back in 3 or 4 years and think he was a great hire!

Comment

One down one to go, Matt Kelly filled one of his assistant positions from the Merrimack program.

Comment

Originally posted by Rhode Island Red View Post
                    One down one to go, Matt Kelly filled one of his assistant positions from the Merrimack program.
                    BU hired a men’s coach with no head coaching experience and his first hire was a asst. coach with 20 years experience as a head coach. You would think Kelly would do the same thing and hire an experienced coach

Comment

Working...
                    X