Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Two of Plattsburgh's (and DIII's) all-time greats, forwards Melissa Sheeran and Kayla Meneghin, have signed with the Connecticut Whale.

The Whale also announced they've re-signed former Norwich forward Kaycie Anderson for a second season with the squad.

They will be the 6th, 7th and 8th DIII alumnae on the Whale, joining Emily Fluke (Middlebury), Hanna Beattie (Williams), Sarah Schwenzfeier (Norwich), Sarah Hughson (Elmira) and Sam Walther (Hamilton).
    Hockeyeast seems to be right!
    "Is it really a professional league if they are signing meaningful numbers of D3 alumni? Do we see a lot of men's D3 players playing professional hockey? And some of the D3 players weren't even that strong as D3 players..... not a great look for the league in my humble opinion..."

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Scott, don't waste your time with Numbnuts. A guy like that with a stereotypically male opinion is a waste of space in the first place. He just doesn't get that those of us in women's hockey aren't trying to copy men's hockey. The game is different for each gender from so many perspectives including history, development, and the list goes on and on. Judging by his own comments I really don't think he understands the men's game either. He's a total tool that has obviously been crosschecked to the head too many times. He probably also got sticked to the jewels by opponents who found nothing there to hurt him. I would love to have him out on the ice to embarrass and humiliate him but I don't think he could skate if his life depended on it. He's a wannabe that never amounted to anything in his life, more to be pitied than anything.
      ok there no-nutz. I know the truth hurts. Now go back in there and clean up that spill in isle #4, before the store manager finds out you've been on your crack-pipe again.

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
        "Is it really a professional league if they are signing meaningful numbers of D3 alumni? Do we see a lot of men's D3 players playing professional hockey? And some of the D3 players weren't even that strong as D3 players..... not a great look for the league in my humble opinion..."
        When you look at Women's hockey the player pool is growing with very slow growth at the division one level. Hence the lower divisions will have better players. There are so many other options for the men and D3 would not be the first choice. So the comparison isn't apples to apples. I have watched the Whale play and it is good quality hockey. I would watch NWHL over the WNBA any day.

Comment

Kayla Meneghin and Melissa Sheeran place 4th and 5th respectively on the career DIII points list, have 3 national championships, 4 conference championships, each have been conference player of the year and multiple AHCA All-American awards (4 for Meneghin, 3 for Sheeran). All the others are former First-Team All-Americans. Who is the one that's "not even that strong"?

Comment

Actually there are many men's D3 players that end up playing pro hockey in the various minor pro leagues out there. They typically don't make it higher than the East Coast league but they're still getting paid to play so they are considered pros, even those that play in the leagues that are below the East Coast league.

Comment

Kayla Meneghin and Melissa Sheeran place 4th and 5th respectively on the career DIII points list, have 3 national championships, 4 conference championships, each have been conference player of the year and multiple AHCA All-American awards (4 for Meneghin, 3 for Sheeran). All the others are former First-Team All-Americans. Who is the one that's "not even that strong"?
              WTHK....but that's not really the point....the point is---D3 [in any sport] should NOT be playing pro anything. The fact a large # of D3 girls are playing pro hockey....is a joke. If a bunch of D3 men were playing in the NFL UMMMM....wouldn't U think that's a tad strange?

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                the point is---D3 [in any sport] should NOT be playing pro anything. The fact a large # of D3 girls are playing pro hockey....is a joke.
                That's a very short-sighted and willfully ignorant point. It may sound good on paper but it ignores the real-life fact that the player pools of other pro leagues is much larger. There are an estimated 12,560 D1 football players every year. There's an estimated 4,511 D1 basketball players. There's only an estimated 828 D1 WIH spots.

Even with the financial limitations of the league that makes it so they can't pay to scale, it's kind of harsh to call the league a joke. Trying to be on the level of the WNBA, much less one of the men's pro league in 5 years isn't an out there expectation of some fans but it's also unfair to call them joke because they're not that. They're making incremental steps. Girls' participation in the sport went up 10% following the NWHL's first season. The next step is a merger to #OneLeague which hopefully opens the door to more partnerships.

But the NWHL is not a joke because they have DIII players, or because of their salary constraints. They are trying to be practical and survive to the next season, grow incrementally until they're ready to make bigger leaps. If it's not your cup of tea, don't go to the games and don't watch the streams. But constantly calling them a joke says more about you being a boor than anything about the NWHL's place in women's hockey.
                Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-10-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

That's a very short-sighted and willfully ignorant point. It may sound good on paper but it ignores the real-life fact that the player pools of other pro leagues is much larger. There are an estimated 12,560 D1 football players every year. There's an estimated 4,511 D1 basketball players. There's only an estimated 828 D1 WIH spots.

Even with the financial limitations of the league that makes it so they can't pay to scale, it's kind of harsh to call the league a joke. Trying to be on the level of the WNBA, much less one of the men's pro league in 5 years isn't an out there expectation of some fans but it's also unfair to call them joke because they're not that. They're making incremental steps. Girls' participation in the sport went up 10% following the NWHL's first season. The next steps is a merger to #OneLeague which hopefully opens the door to more partnerships.

But the NWHL is not a joke because they have DIII players, or because of their salary constraints. They are trying to be practical and survive to the next season, grow incrementally until they're ready to make bigger leaps. If it's not your cup of tea, don't go to the games and don't watch the streams. But constantly calling them a joke says more about you being a boor than anything about the NWHL's place in women's hockey.
                  This!!!!

I didn't bother replying to his post because I felt it would be a waste of my time to do so. Cudos to you!

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                    WTHK....but that's not really the point....the point is---D3 [in any sport] should NOT be playing pro anything. The fact a large # of D3 girls are playing pro hockey....is a joke. If a bunch of D3 men were playing in the NFL UMMMM....wouldn't U think that's a tad strange?
                    There are 7 (I believe) former D3 athletes playing in the NFL, including Pierre Garcon. The NFL must be a joke. :/

r

Comment

Originally posted by cetihcra View Post
                      There are 7 (I believe) former D3 athletes playing in the NFL, including Pierre Garcon. The NFL must be a joke. :/

r
                      Lol, good one. I think we have established that the biggest joke is CrossCheck-to-the-head and all his ridiculous posts/opinions/comments. Actually, he established that all by his simple(ton) little self.

Comment

r
                        Which means 7 out of 1696 pro in the sport or 0.42%
                        CT Whale have 8 of 17 on their roster or 47.06%
                        Just a slight difference!!

Comment

The NFL must be a joke.
                          It seems, these days, that the Not For Long is working very hard to obtain that status...
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Which means 7 out of 1696 pro in the sport or 0.42%
                            CT Whale have 8 of 17 on their roster or 47.06%
                            Just a slight difference!!
                            You're comparison is skewed comparing a league to one team. So far, there are 9 former DIII players signed to NWHL rosters for 18-19. Using last year's roster max of 25 per team there's 125 NWHL roster slots. If all 9 players stay on the roster and no more DIII players sign, that's 7.2% of the league. Considering that there are 15 times the number of D1 college football players to D1 women's ice hockey players, I actually would consider the difference slight.

Also, the Whale's top scorer in 17-18 was Emily Fluke, who played for Middlebury. Kristin Lewicki (Adrian) was the fastest skater at the All-Star skills competition. Kaylyn Schroka (also Adrian) had 10 points in 14 games for Buffalo.

Why is it so unfathomable to you all that the upper echelon DIII players can skate with the rest of the NWHL?

Comment

You're comparison is skewed comparing a league to one team. So far, there are 9 former DIII players signed to NWHL rosters for 18-19. Using last year's roster max of 25 per team there's 125 NWHL roster slots. If all 9 players stay on the roster and no more DIII players sign, that's 7.2% of the league. Considering that there are 15 times the number of D1 college football players to D1 women's ice hockey players, I actually would consider the difference slight.

Also, the Whale's top scorer in 17-18 was Emily Fluke, who played for Middlebury. Kristin Lewicki (Adrian) was the fastest skater at the All-Star skills competition. Kaylyn Schroka (also Adrian) had 10 points in 14 games for Buffalo.

Why is it so unfathomable to you all that the upper echelon DIII players can skate with the rest of the NWHL?
                              Fine, 7.2% is still almost 18 times the rate at which DIII players make an NFL roster. As far as considering the difference slight there are also 15 times the number of NFL players on rosters compared to the NWHL; so the % should be the same. Can the top DIII player make a pro team, sure. Mostly likely as a third or forth liner during an Olympic year. As the season unfolds we will get to see if the DIII superstars can make a contribution to their teams.

Comment

Fine, 7.2% is still almost 18 times the rate at which DIII players make an NFL roster. As far as considering the difference slight there are also 15 times the number of NFL players on rosters compared to the NWHL; so the % should be the same. Can the top DIII player make a pro team, sure. Mostly likely as a third or forth liner during an Olympic year. As the season unfolds we will get to see if the DIII superstars can make a contribution to their teams.
                                I think you are also missing the fact that any football player would jump at the chance to play in the NFL - HUGE $$$'s (or hockey or baseball, or basketball).

We all know DI players that have turned down the NWHL/CWHL due to the poor financial incentives. These are all growing pains of a new league, it still doesn't diminish that it is the highest caliber of professional women's hockey available right now. That's in and of itself is worth cheering and supporting.

Comment

Working...
                                X