Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
    There are plenty of scrubs in the NHL that have no business being there either, but there they are getting paid to play hockey. Oh ya, that's what it means to be a pro athlete. You get paid to play. Does the AHL, ECHL, etc, etc, etc have the best of the best?! Hell no! So lots of pro hockey leagues for men that aren't fully stocked with the best of the best. I think we can cut some slack for the two North American pro hockey leagues for women. Let them keep growing no matter where the players come from or where they played their college hockey. The next step is obviously a merger of the two leagues. Failure to do that would mean their mutual demise over the long term. You want to criticise women's pro hockey? Turn your attention to the European pro leagues. A lot of very weak players over there including low-end D3 players.
    lol...as usual you're clueless and high. You think todays NHL [i.e. the top pro league for men, which i guess would be what the NWHL strives to be]....has D3 men making NHL rosters on a regular basis??? I know your dopey, but even for you that's a bit much. I guess crack really IS Wack

Comment

The player pool in women's hockey is a lot smaller than men's hockey, so it stands to reason that players who played in D3 women's hockey stand a better chance of playing in the highest leagues of their sport than D3 men's players.

That said, even as a supporter and paying customer the NWHL and CWHL are more semi-pro than pro as their players need supplemental income to support themselves. Not every player can make that lifestyle work, or they simply find more lucrative opportunities outside hockey.

But the D3 players we see in the NWHL and CWHL are not scrubs. Kristin Lewicki, Sam Walthier, Sarah Schwenzfeier, Sarah Hughson, Hanna Beattie all were great players for good programs (with Beattie being the least decorated of the bunch). It's not like the NWHL is signing the players from the doomed Daniel Webster program and playing them significant minutes.

Comment

Adrian College names new women's head coach.

http://adrianbulldogs.com/sports/w-h...20180821nr4mvo

Congratulations to coach Skelly.

Comment

Originally posted by AC Bulldog View Post
          Adrian College names new women's head coach.

http://adrianbulldogs.com/sports/w-h...20180821nr4mvo

Congratulations to coach Skelly.
          Yawn, not too predictable. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
            The player pool in women's hockey is a lot smaller than men's hockey, so it stands to reason that players who played in D3 women's hockey stand a better chance of playing in the highest leagues of their sport than D3 men's players.

That said, even as a supporter and paying customer the NWHL and CWHL are more semi-pro than pro as their players need supplemental income to support themselves. Not every player can make that lifestyle work, or they simply find more lucrative opportunities outside hockey.

But the D3 players we see in the NWHL and CWHL are not scrubs. Kristin Lewicki, Sam Walthier, Sarah Schwenzfeier, Sarah Hughson, Hanna Beattie all were great players for good programs (with Beattie being the least decorated of the bunch). It's not like the NWHL is signing the players from the doomed Daniel Webster program and playing them significant minutes.
            Scott, don't waste your time with Numbnuts. A guy like that with a stereotypically male opinion is a waste of space in the first place. He just doesn't get that those of us in women's hockey aren't trying to copy men's hockey. The game is different for each gender from so many perspectives including history, development, and the list goes on and on. Judging by his own comments I really don't think he understands the men's game either. He's a total tool that has obviously been crosschecked to the head too many times. He probably also got sticked to the jewels by opponents who found nothing there to hurt him. I would love to have him out on the ice to embarrass and humiliate him but I don't think he could skate if his life depended on it. He's a wannabe that never amounted to anything in his life, more to be pitied than anything.
            Last edited by shelfit; 08-22-2018, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Coach Lindsay Berman leaves UMB. Headed across town to Northeastern. She's being replaced by Coach Dom Lozzi.

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                Coach Lindsay Berman leaves UMB. Headed across town to Northeastern. She's being replaced by Coach Dom Lozzi.
                Forgot to post this a few days ago. Castleton coaching announcement: http://www.castletonsports.com/sport...20180817khz43i

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                  Congratulations Coach Lozzi! She joins Coach O'Neil ('05) and Coach Gillis ('07) as former Polar Bears who are now DIII head coaches. My Coach Lozzi memory is being at Alfond Arena 2/28/09 prior to a NESCAC quarter-final (White Mules 2 PB 1) and breaking the news that Ms. Lozzi had been named NESCAC rookie of the year. The team did not rise to the occasion. Always hoped the news had not been a distraction (although I asked Coach Wilson about saying anything before mentioning the award).

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    Congratulations Coach Lozzi! She joins Coach O'Neil ('05) and Coach Gillis ('07) as former Polar Bears who are now DIII head coaches. My Coach Lozzi memory is being at Alfond Arena 2/28/09 prior to a NESCAC quarter-final (White Mules 2 PB 1) and breaking the news that Ms. Lozzi had been named NESCAC rookie of the year. The team did not rise to the occasion. Always hoped the news had not been a distraction (although I asked Coach Wilson about saying anything before mentioning the award).
                    Any thought as to why she's only been named interim? sounds to me like she has all the qualifications......

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      Any thought as to why she's only been named interim? sounds to me like she has all the qualifications......
                      Guessing: It has nothing to do with her or her qualifications but that UMB didn't have time to do a full search to whatever standard the public UMass system has for filling vacancies so the most they could give her is an interim title and she will have to go through a process where she's up against more candidates.

Comment

Guessing: It has nothing to do with her or her qualifications but that UMB didn't have time to do a full search to whatever standard the public UMass system has for filling vacancies so the most they could give her is an interim title and she will have to go through a process where she's up against more candidates.
                        I believe Lindsay Berman also was interim her first year at UMB.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          I believe Lindsay Berman also was interim her first year at UMB.
                          Then maybe it's something they do to all coaches to be able to re-evaluate at the end of the first season...

Comment

Then maybe it's something they do to all coaches to be able to re-evaluate at the end of the first season...
                            For state schools (and some private schools as well), it all about the requirements for filling a position. To fill the position there is usually a minimum advertising period, a search committee must screen the applicants, etc. In this case there was clearly insufficient time for all of that to happen. It's not like DI where athletic governance is somewhat independent of the rest of the university.
                            2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                            2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                            2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                            2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

The 2018 CWHL Draft has concluded and two picks with DIII ties: Former Clarkson/Plattsburgh goalie Kelsey Neumann has been drafted by Montreal (8th round). She's been with Buffalo of the NWHL the past few seasons. And former Plattsburgh captain and 3 time NCAA champion Andrea Ziesmann was drafted to Toronto in the 9th round.

They join former Plattsburgh champions Megan Delay (11 pts as a freshman in 15-16 before going to Brock) who won a championship with Markham and Shannon Stewart (2 championships in 3 NCAA Frozen Four appearances) who played in Toronto last season as DIII alumnae in the CWHL

Comment

Two of Plattsburgh's (and DIII's) all-time greats, forwards Melissa Sheeran and Kayla Meneghin, have signed with the Connecticut Whale.

The Whale also announced they've re-signed former Norwich forward Kaycie Anderson for a second season with the squad.

They will be the 6th, 7th and 8th DIII alumnae on the Whale, joining Emily Fluke (Middlebury), Hanna Beattie (Williams), Sarah Schwenzfeier (Norwich), Sarah Hughson (Elmira) and Sam Walther (Hamilton).
                                Last edited by Scott_TG; 09-05-2018, 09:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X