2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    In addition to her signing with the Whale, Sam Walther will also serve as an assistant coach at Nichols. She joins two former D1 players (Kaleigh Fratkin of BU and Nicole Renault of Syracuse) as the assistant coaches on Nichols HC Mike O'Grady's staff.

https://nicholsathletics.com/news/20...ing-staff.aspx
    but the only 2x All American?
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

In addition to her signing with the Whale, Sam Walther will also serve as an assistant coach at Nichols. She joins two former D1 players (Kaleigh Fratkin of BU and Nicole Renault of Syracuse) as the assistant coaches on Nichols HC Mike O'Grady's staff.

https://nicholsathletics.com/news/20...ing-staff.aspx
      O’Grady seems to be building a nice base at Nichols. It was only 2 years ago that they were a sad sack outfit. Let’s hope he can maintain and grow the program.

Comment

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Adrian alumna Kristin Lewicki, who won the fastest skater competition at the 2018 NWHL ASG, has signed with the defending champion Metropolitan Riveters for the upcoming season. She was with the Buffalo Beauts last season.

https://www.nwhl.zone/news_article/show/938244

Comment

William Smith AD Deb Steward will serve on the DIII WIH Championship Committee for two years.

The committee is now made up of:

Deb Steward, AD, Hobart and William Smith
          Crystal Lanning, AD, UW-River Falls
          Katie Boldvich (chair) - Commissioner, NEHC
          Bill Mandigo - HC, Middlebury
          Jackie MacMillan - HC, St. Scholastica

Boldvich is up next August and is not designated as eligible for re-appointment. Steward, Mandigo and MacMillan's terms are up in August 2020. Mandigo is not listed as eligible for re-appointment like MacMillan and Steward are. Lanning is on the committee through August 2021 and not designated as eligible for re-appointment.

Per the page listing the committee: there have to be 5 members 3 of whom are administrators and a 3/2 split East to West.
          Last edited by Scott_TG; 08-14-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Hamline HC Natalie Darwitz named to the US Hockey Hall of Fame

Comment

Castleton announces their new head coach:

http://www.castletonsports.com/sport...20180817khz43i

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post
                Is it really a professional league if they are signing meaningful numbers of D3 alumni? Do we see a lot of men's D3 players playing professional hockey? And some of the D3 players weren't even that strong as D3 players..... not a great look for the league in my humble opinion...
                OMG This is why women's sports are and continue to fight for equality. This is not men's hockey and to compare them is wrong. This league is a "REAL" professional league. It is in it's infancy. The D3 players who are signed are "excellent" players (I have done my research) and you really should wait until the season starts prior to making your comments. D3 does not mean bottom level players. Players choose to play D3 hockey for different reasons and should be judged on their performance, not the division they played in. CONGRATS to these women athletes who choose to continue their hockey careers at the next level. They are making great strides for future generations of women athletes. I am so proud of them all. Young women can dream of playing hockey at an elite level. I support the NWHL and Jr. NWHL and all women's sports!!! "LOOK TO THE FUTURE!"

Comment

With 68 days before Adrian faces off against River Falls, the Bulldogs are looking for a new head coach. Chad Davis is going to coach D1 RIT.

Their current assistant is Hannah McGowan, a '15 grad going into her second season as a coach. Would be a tough jump to interim, especially when she'd be coaching former teammates...
                  Last edited by Scott_TG; 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM.

Comment

With 68 days before Adrian faces off against River Falls, the Bulldogs are looking for a new head coach. Chad Davis is going to coach D1 RIT.

Their current assistant is Hannah McGowan, a '15 grad going into her second season as a coach. Would be a tough jump to interim, especially when she'd be coaching former teammates...

Despite the fact that it's a great program that should be able to attract top talent, does anyone want to leave their current position at this time of the year? Almost seems like they're destined for a holding pattern this year. Steph Moberg did the same thing at Castleton a few years ago (resigned in mid-August to go to Merrimack) and that really messed up what was a nationally ranked program at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                      Despite the fact that it's a great program that should be able to attract top talent, does anyone want to leave their current position at this time of the year? Almost seems like they're destined for a holding pattern this year. Steph Moberg did the same thing at Castleton a few years ago (resigned in mid-August to go to Merrimack) and that really messed up what was a nationally ranked program at that time.
                      It sucks, but these coaches are people too, with career aspirations and if a better opportunity with better pay, prospects or both come up you can't fault them for doing what's best for themselves/their family.

Adrian does have two coaches on campus who might make a better interim than McGowan. Brett Berger, is going into his 5th year coaching Adrian's ACHA D1 women's program. He won the ACHA D1 COTY award in 2017. They also have Shawn Skelly who was an assistant under Davis for one season before moving to be an assistant under Krug last season.

Those two might be their best candidates this late in the game.

Comment

Originally posted by womanplayhockey View Post
                        OMG This is why women's sports are and continue to fight for equality. This is not men's hockey and to compare them is wrong. This league is a "REAL" professional league. It is in it's infancy. The D3 players who are signed are "excellent" players (I have done my research) and you really should wait until the season starts prior to making your comments. D3 does not mean bottom level players. Players choose to play D3 hockey for different reasons and should be judged on their performance, not the division they played in. CONGRATS to these women athletes who choose to continue their hockey careers at the next level. They are making great strides for future generations of women athletes. I am so proud of them all. Young women can dream of playing hockey at an elite level. I support the NWHL and Jr. NWHL and all women's sports!!! "LOOK TO THE FUTURE!"
                        LOL...ok honey...I know you think it's a "Real" professional league, but the evidence would strongly suggest otherwise. The fact that multiple D3 players are on 'pro' rosters just further points out the fact that this league is a joke. Newsflash...Unless and until WOMEN support women's pro sports....you will never make it work. Sorry if the facts hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                          LOL...ok honey...I know you think it's a "Real" professional league, but the evidence would strongly suggest otherwise. The fact that multiple D3 players are on 'pro' rosters just further points out the fact that this league is a joke. Newsflash...Unless and until WOMEN support women's pro sports....you will never make it work. Sorry if the facts hurt.
                          While I think CC's "honey" comment is uncalled for and out of line - I will say I agree with his overall thought. I am not saying that there are no talented D3 players out there, however when it comes to the majority I do not believe for 1 minute if they were truly D1, top level players, that they would not being playing D1. If they go D3 more often than not they are not top level talent. I think most anyone would take a D1 scholarship (full or partial) if they were offered it, and if they were not offered then they are most likely lower end D1 talent or D3 talent who want to actually play and know that if they pay to play D1 (outside of the Ivys) then they would not see much ice- plain and simple.

Comment

Coaching news:

Elmira names Mandy Montgomery as their new assistant coach, replacing Jordan Pardoski, who is now an assistant at D1 Brown. Montgomery was the assistant coach for SUNY Canton last season, and has also served as an assistant at Sacred Heart and Colgate.

Comment

Originally posted by ThreeSkates View Post
                              While I think CC's "honey" comment is uncalled for and out of line - I will say I agree with his overall thought. I am not saying that there are no talented D3 players out there, however when it comes to the majority I do not believe for 1 minute if they were truly D1, top level players, that they would not being playing D1. If they go D3 more often than not they are not top level talent. I think most anyone would take a D1 scholarship (full or partial) if they were offered it, and if they were not offered then they are most likely lower end D1 talent or D3 talent who want to actually play and know that if they pay to play D1 (outside of the Ivys) then they would not see much ice- plain and simple.
                              yes..well, but as you know, she "did her research" so she's an authority lol and OMG!

yes, there are always several d3 players every year who could be playing d1...but let's be honest, they would not be all-stars....which is what a "pro" league should be....the best of the best. and this "pro" league aint that. not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                                yes..well, but as you know, she "did her research" so she's an authority lol and OMG!

yes, there are always several d3 players every year who could be playing d1...but let's be honest, they would not be all-stars....which is what a "pro" league should be....the best of the best. and this "pro" league aint that. not even close.
                                There are plenty of scrubs in the NHL that have no business being there either, but there they are getting paid to play hockey. Oh ya, that's what it means to be a pro athlete. You get paid to play. Does the AHL, ECHL, etc, etc, etc have the best of the best?! Hell no! So lots of pro hockey leagues for men that aren't fully stocked with the best of the best. I think we can cut some slack for the two North American pro hockey leagues for women. Let them keep growing no matter where the players come from or where they played their college hockey. The next step is obviously a merger of the two leagues. Failure to do that would mean their mutual demise over the long term. You want to criticise women's pro hockey? Turn your attention to the European pro leagues. A lot of very weak players over there including low-end D3 players.

Comment

Working...
                                X