Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

We won't have to wait long for a 2018 National Championship rematch....

Norwich and Elmira will open the season against each other on Oct. 27 in Elmira. What a start to the season.

http://www.norwichathletics.com/spor...18-19/schedule
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post

Norwich and Elmira will open the season against each other on Oct. 27 in Elmira. What a start to the season.

As usual, a very strong OOC schedule for Norwich, all of the OOC opponents were ranked at some point last season, except Trinity (I don't think they were ranked...).

Is Norwich forgoing a second exhibition in 18-19 or was that provision just a trial for 17-18?
    Last edited by Scott_TG; 06-20-2018 at 02:46 PM.
    Scott Henkle
    SUNY Plattsburgh Class of 2012

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Colorado Cadets Fan

Odd scheduling with the last six games away from Krietzberg, and all but one of those being league games.
    2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
    2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
    2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
    2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Plattsburgh's schedule is out.

http://gocardinalsports.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=171

OOC against Norwich (possibility for a 2nd at the East/West), Middlebury (possibility for a 2nd at the Cardinal/Panther Classic), Adrian twice, Amherst, SUNY Morrisville and Trinity. They could also end up facing Elmira once or twice in the regular season at either the Cardinal/Panther and/or the East/West Classics.

Exhibitions are against SUNY Canton and the Ottawa Lady 67's Intermediate AA.

Will be an interesting year with Moriarty and Millen as the top returning scorers with a young offensive core around them.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

I selfishly wanted to see her playing for the Riveters this fall because I think she could skate with anyone, but I'm so happy to see her joining the coaching ranks.

Saint Anselm hires Plattsburgh standout Kayla Meneghin as an assistant coach.

Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Last edited by Scott_TG; 06-23-2018 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Formatting

Thanks for posting this. Makes finding these a lot easier. Will you do periodic updates?

Technically they aren't DIII but as an NEHC dad we saw them regularly and they still play quite a few games against DIII schools:

Franklin Pierce: http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/...18-19/schedule
    St. Anselm: https://www.saintanselmhawks.com/spo...18-19/schedule
    Saint Michael's: http://www.smcathletics.com/sports/w...18-19/schedule

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    Technically they aren't DIII but as an NEHC dad we saw them regularly and they still play quite a few games against DIII schools:

Franklin Pierce: http://athletics.franklinpierce.edu/...18-19/schedule
    St. Anselm: https://www.saintanselmhawks.com/spo...18-19/schedule
    Saint Michael's: http://www.smcathletics.com/sports/w...18-19/schedule
    Surprised Morrisville and Hamline are playing regular season games that won't be factored in to their rankings. Did the NCAA change it where games against D2 games count now? If not, maybe these commitments to play the D2 schools were made when they weren't tournament contenders...
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_TG View Post
    Surprised Morrisville and Hamline are playing regular season games that won't be factored in to their rankings. Did the NCAA change it where games against D2 games count now? If not, maybe these commitments to play the D2 schools were made when they weren't tournament contenders...
    Haven't heard of any changes with respect to D2 games. in both cases Morrisville and Hamline only show 25 games on their sched so it's not even an exhibition game.....

On an unrelated note, hearing Castleton might be close on naming a new coach, had over 20 applicants.

Lake Forest visiting Colby and Bowdoin in late December. Nice effort! Iíll keep an eye on those games.

.....hearing Castleton might be close on naming a new coach, had over 20 applicants.
    I pity the poor unfortunate soul that takes that job. You could be blind and still see the pattern here to easily figure out that it's not a good position. Only 20 applicants doesn't seem like very many for a head coaching job. That's another indication that it's not a good situation. Good enough for a first time head coach I guess. Put in a year or two and then move on as soon as you can.
    Last edited by shelfit; 06-25-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey

Games against Division I and II teams DO NOT count in the primary criteria for NCAA D3 tournament consideration. This will not be changing anytime soon.
    The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
    "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
    GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
    GO LAKERS!!!
    GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
    "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
    Oswego State '09

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    I pity the poor unfortunate soul that takes that job. You could be blind and still see the pattern here to easily figure out that it's not a good position. Only 20 applicants doesn't seem like very many for a head coaching job. That's another indication that it's not a good situation. Good enough for a first time head coach I guess. Put in a year or two and then move on as soon as you can.
    I pity the fact that you canít look beyond the written page and see a whole bunch of bad luck happening. Still a lot of potential for this school. Not a bad situation just some bad luck.

I pity the fact that you canít look beyond the written page and see a whole bunch of bad luck happening. Still a lot of potential for this school. Not a bad situation just some bad luck.
    Lol, you're so cute with how naive you are! Very refreshing! The problem begins and ends at the top of the department.
    Last edited by shelfit; 06-25-2018 at 07:58 PM.

Games against Division I and II teams DO NOT count in the primary criteria for NCAA D3 tournament consideration. This will not be changing anytime soon.
    That was the answer I was expecting.

Any thoughts as to why teams with viable paths to the tourney would schedule D2 opponents as OOC regular season games?

I don't see where they benefit. Surely both are situated ranking wise and geographically they can find an OOC team to put on their schedule. Morrisville would have been better trying for one of the UCHC teams [relatively] nearby that they can skate with like William Smith, Chatham, King's or Wilkes. Hamline couldn't tempt one of the upper half NCHA teams into a non-conference bout? St. Scholastica is close by. Concordia (WI) and Lake Forest are both 350 miles per TES. I'm sure there must be factors I'm missing, but playing an OOC game that won't count in primary criteria seems like a waste of an opportunity to improve their resume during selection time.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

That was the answer I was expecting.

Any thoughts as to why teams with viable paths to the tourney would schedule D2 opponents as OOC regular season games?

I don't see where they benefit. Surely both are situated ranking wise and geographically they can find an OOC team to put on their schedule. Morrisville would have been better trying for one of the UCHC teams [relatively] nearby that they can skate with like William Smith, Chatham, King's or Wilkes. Hamline couldn't tempt one of the upper half NCHA teams into a non-conference bout? St. Scholastica is close by. Concordia (WI) and Lake Forest are both 350 miles per TES. I'm sure there must be factors I'm missing, but playing an OOC game that won't count in primary criteria seems like a waste of an opportunity to improve their resume during selection time.
    Just a reminder that D2s are already eligible for the National Collegiate (D1&D2) Championship. There was a tightening of body parts last year when D2 and D1 teams formed a scheduling alliance that enabled the D2s to qualify.

The NCAA took care of that when they revised the criteria, otherwise St. Anselm would have made the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Just a reminder that D2s are already eligible for the National Collegiate (D1&D2) Championship. There was a tightening of body parts last year when D2 and D1 teams formed a scheduling alliance that enabled the D2s to qualify.

The NCAA took care of that when they revised the criteria, otherwise St. Anselm would have made the tournament.
    Exactly. The D2 schools are eligible for the D1 tourney. I see why this helps Franklin Pierce and St. Anselm. They get to play good teams to fill their schedule since there aren't enough D2 to programs for a full schedule and they don't have D1 schools who will play them to fill out their schedule.

I don't see an obvious benefit to Hamline and Morrisville. Morrisville is playing two games that could help them in the selection criteria for the D3 tourney and Hamline is giving up one. Granted, if they play a team on par with them OOC and lose that could hurt them if they don't win their conference autobid, but I think that risk is mitigated by the SOS boost if it's a good enough opponent.
    Scott Henkle

Proud alumn of WQKE

GO CARDS!!

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, you're so cute with how naive you are! Very refreshing! The problem begins and ends at the top of the department.
    Your condescending tone is wasted here. I have a better understanding of the situation than you think and probably than you do. Fimiani was a train wreck - way in over his head. Agreed, poor hire by the AD but Moberg bailed on the team in August for a D1 opportunity.
    Not sure what happened with Salerno (rumour is that sheís taking over for Mandigo in a year or two tops) but Iím open to the possibility that there was friction with the AD. Wouldnít be the first time, wonít be the last.

Is the AD a well loved person, probably not, but thatís not a prerequisite in that job is it? Do the last few changes put stress on the program? Absolutely. But thatís a far cry from pitying the person and program.

Given the status of womenís collegiate hockey overall you should be hoping they get the hire right and continue support the program.

Your condescending tone is wasted here. I have a better understanding of the situation than you think and probably than you do. Fimiani was a train wreck - way in over his head. Agreed, poor hire by the AD but Moberg bailed on the team in August for a D1 opportunity.
    Not sure what happened with Salerno (rumour is that sheís taking over for Mandigo in a year or two tops) but Iím open to the possibility that there was friction with the AD. Wouldnít be the first time, wonít be the last.

Is the AD a well loved person, probably not, but thatís not a prerequisite in that job is it? Do the last few changes put stress on the program? Absolutely. But thatís a far cry from pitying the person and program.

Given the status of womenís collegiate hockey overall you should be hoping they get the hire right and continue support the program.
    Your response shows that you actually don't know as much as I do about things there but let's put that aside. Do I hope and wish things were different there for the players? Absolutely! Having a turnstile in the head coach's office over the last few coaches isn't a good thing. The one thing in common is...well, you already know the answer.

Thread Information