2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    First Day of Practice as in first day it's permitted (except in the NESCAC). I'm sure with the holiday many programs had the actual first practice today.
    So D3 is now a week earlier than it used to be. I like that rule change. I always felt they should let D3 start on October 1st across the board no matter when their first game is. Let them have 2 weeks of dryland training (and the team bonding that goes hand-in-hand with that), and then allowed on the ice for practices after those 2 weeks. I would even let them start dryland on September 15th, but mandatory weekends off until October 15th. Then on ice practices after that with one day off per week. Just my two cents.

What is the official NESCAC start date rule?
    Last edited by shelfit; 10-09-2018, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      So D3 is now a week earlier than it used to be. I like that rule change. I always felt they should let D3 start on October 1st across the board no matter when their first game is. Let them have 2 weeks of dryland training (and the team bonding that goes hand-in-hand with that), and then allowed on the ice for practices after those 2 weeks. I would even let them start dryland on September 15th, but mandatory weekends off until October 15th. Then on ice practices after that with one day off per week. Just my two cents.

What is the official NESCAC start date rule?
      Nov. 15.
      The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
      "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
      GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
      GO LAKERS!!!
      GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
      "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
      Oswego State '09

Comment

First Day of Practice as in first day it's permitted (except in the NESCAC). I'm sure with the holiday many programs had the actual first practice today.
        I’m pretty sure most teams were on the ice Monday. Both Norwich teams were including a 6am for the NU men. Also, Columbus Day is not a holiday for many higher ed institutions.
        GO LAKERS!!!
        "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
        Oswego State '09

Comment

• Originally posted by PrezdeJohnson09 View Post
          I’m pretty sure most teams were on the ice Monday. Both Norwich teams were including a 6am for the NU men. Also, Columbus Day is not a holiday for many higher ed institutions.
          Columbus is rolling over in his grave(s)! Lol.
          Last edited by shelfit; 10-09-2018, 09:32 PM.

Comment

Turkeys!
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Yeah, that was Indigenous People's Day............
              Go 'Wick!

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Cadets look to be strong contenders to repeat in '19. The game in Pine Valley on the 27th will be lots of fun!

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                  Turkeys!
                  That's in Canada
                  2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                  2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                  2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                  2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                    Cadets look to be strong contenders to repeat in '19. The game in Pine Valley on the 27th will be lots of fun!
                    Every year is a new year! Lost a very good goalie (program all-time win and Shutout record holder), Patrice Bergeron (Schwenzfeier) and a strong-offensive skilled defenseman.

Looking forward to the game on Oct. 27 as well. Rematch of the national championship game to open the season? Doesn't get much better than that.
                    GO LAKERS!!!
                    Oswego State '09

Comment

Buffalo State has named Jim Fowler, former men's hockey coach and current manager of the Athletics budget and Ice Arena, as the interim Women's Ice Hockey coach. He replaces Jennifer Wilson, who leaves after one season.
                      Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-17-2018, 11:59 AM. Reason: Wrong name

Comment

Jim Fowler, not Rick.

I can't believe he returned to coaching. Whenever I saw him after he left the men's coaching job, he was very happy, always mentioning how much more time he has in his life without worrying about all the coaching duties and recruitment trips.

Of course, it does say interim, and in this case, it really may be interim. He may have been persuaded to step in as a favor to the school because there was no one else available at this late notice, with the full intent that they will hire someone else eventually.
                        Russell Jaslow
                        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          Jim Fowler, not Rick.

I can't believe he returned to coaching. Whenever I saw him after he left the men's coaching job, he was very happy, always mentioning how much more time he has in his life without worrying about all the coaching duties and recruitment trips.

Of course, it does say interim, and in this case, it really may be interim. He may have been persuaded to step in as a favor to the school because there was no one else available at this late notice, with the full intent that they will hire someone else eventually.
                          This school is known for having some of the lowest salaries in D3 hockey which means their applicant pool was probably very shallow. This is another way for them to save more money by not having to pay a full salary to someone else. From what I've gathered by doing a little digging around he was a disgrace as their men's coach so this is another step backwards for the women's team. It makes me wonder if or why none of their recent female assistant coaches applied for the job.
                          Last edited by shelfit; 10-17-2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Wilkes and Nazareth, the remaining two programs making their debuts, have published their rosters.

It looks like Wilkes is indeed going forward with 9 players, seven skaters and two goalies. I'm hoping they can survive the season with that squad and build up next season.

Nazareth has the largest roster of the 4 new programs. 3 goalies, 15 forwards, 6 defenders and 2 skaters who can play forward or defense. One transfer in Shanley Austin, Morrisville's 7th leading scorer (3rd among freshman) last season. She is listed as a Rochester native so that could have been a factor in her decision to move on from Morrisville.
                            Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-17-2018, 04:26 PM.

Comment

The Plattsburgh roster is up.

9 freshmen (1 G, 2 D, 6 F) and no transfers. In addition to the graduation of seniors Meneghin, Sheeran, Viola and Wolejko Plattsburgh does not return defender Baye Flanagan and forwards Karen Hudson and Meghan Kraus for 18-19.

Comment

The Plattsburgh roster is up.

9 freshmen (1 G, 2 D, 6 F) and no transfers. In addition to the graduation of seniors Meneghin, Sheeran, Viola and Wolejko Plattsburgh does not return defender Baye Flanagan and forwards Karen Hudson and Meghan Kraus for 18-19.
                                Is this a bit of a reset/reload year for Plattsburgh? Seems they may be a little young to challenge Norwich.

Comment

Working...
                                X