Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
    I guess if you've recruited them once you can recruit them twice. And while I don't know Suffolk well I do that Canton is a recently-converted JuCo so unless Suffolk is in the same boat in that regard I imagine it's an academic upgrade.

Plus, it's hard to argue with the credentials of the coaches they've recruited.
    Just for clarification SUNY Canton became a four year undergraduate university in 1997 - their hockey team on the other hand is just 5 years old.
    As far as reasons to move to Suffolk? Coaching appears to be the main reason: https://thesuffolkjournal.com/25255/...aking-the-ice/
    Hopefully she enjoys the change, she seems to have some decent talent and should immediately help the new program.
    Quite a change from rural Canton to downtown Boston.
    On campus facilities at Canton v No campus Suffolk and community rink.
    As far as academics I would at first sight give Suffolk the advantage, but Canton in addition to bachelor degrees, provides the ability to earn technical certificates (Which it appears Adams was going for -PTA), it also is part of a consortium with Clarkson, Potsdam, and St Lawrence.
    Dollar wise: Canton = $31,000 Suffolk = $58,000

Comment

Originally posted by arenalife View Post
      Just for clarification SUNY Canton became a four year undergraduate university in 1997 - their hockey team on the other hand is just 5 years old.
      As far as reasons to move to Suffolk? Coaching appears to be the main reason: https://thesuffolkjournal.com/25255/...aking-the-ice/
      Hopefully she enjoys the change, she seems to have some decent talent and should immediately help the new program.
      Quite a change from rural Canton to downtown Boston.
      On campus facilities at Canton v No campus Suffolk and community rink.
      As far as academics I would at first sight give Suffolk the advantage, but Canton in addition to bachelor degrees, provides the ability to earn technical certificates (Which it appears Adams was going for -PTA), it also is part of a consortium with Clarkson, Potsdam, and St Lawrence.
      Dollar wise: Canton = $31,000 Suffolk = $58,000
      Thanks for the info and the article! Very nice read.

Regarding their interest in the preseason poll: “The [polls] might have us dead last, because we’re a new team, and my girls would hang that up in the locker room and throw darts at it,” said Wasylk."

Given that: they have enough skaters for a full lineup (unlike many new teams), have Tess Adams, and Wasylk's record as an assistant: I would put them ahead of Salem State, Southern Maine, and NEC who are all traditionally not very good.

Comment

Anna Maria has posted their inaugural roster. They list 10 F, 4 D and 3 G.

The other new programs, Nazareth and Wilkes, have not posted a roster yet.
        Ya nothing on the Nazareth website, but the Wilkes website has some info. It shows only 9 players on their inaugural roster! They list 5F, 2D, and 2G. That's not going to work at all even if one goalie plays out for each game. They also show only 15 games on their schedule. If no updates get posted on their website between now and the start of the season then this program is in very big trouble before they even get started. It's shades of Daniel Webster! According to Wilkes' website they already had to delay the start of their program for a year. On August 3, 2017 they posted, "Wilkes made the decision to delay the season due to a lower than anticipated roster size." I wonder how many players their original coach had recruited? Doesn't 9 players fall into the same "lower than expected roster size" category?! Wouldn't 15 players (9F, 4D, 2G) be the minimum you'd want on a team? They announced the hiring of this 2nd head coach on September 26, 2017. So in 11 months he could only recruit 9 players to this school and their new hockey program?!?! Wow! This means they've been trying UNSUCCESSFULLY for 2 years to launch this program. That is not a good sign. I had heard his former team didn't like him and that's why he got fired after their most successful season ever, and now he only was able to recruit 9 players for his new team?! The writing is on the wall.
        Last edited by shelfit; 10-05-2018, 05:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
          I had heard his former team didn't like him and that's why he got fired after their most successful season ever, and now he only was able to recruit 9 players for his new team?! The writing is on the wall.
          This coach recruited my daughter. She was not impressed with the school, the location, or (mainly) the coach. His approach to her was very negative and he reached out to her without any prompting from others. She was immediately turned off by the program. Interesting, though, how the school right across the street from them was able to start a team. While roster numbers are low, and they have not been very successful from a wins standpoint so far, they seem to be building.

Comment

Ya nothing on the Nazareth website, but the Wilkes website has some info. It shows only 9 players on their inaugural roster! They list 5F, 2D, and 2G. That's not going to work at all even if one goalie plays out for each game. They also show only 15 games on their schedule. If no updates get posted on their website between now and the start of the season then this program is in very big trouble before they even get started. It's shades of Daniel Webster! According to Wilkes' website they already had to delay the start of their program for a year. On August 3, 2017 they posted, "Wilkes made the decision to delay the season due to a lower than anticipated roster size." I wonder how many players their original coach had recruited? Doesn't 9 players fall into the same "lower than expected roster size" category?! Wouldn't 15 players (9F, 4D, 2G) be the minimum you'd want on a team? They announced the hiring of this 2nd head coach on September 26, 2017. So in 11 months he could only recruit 9 players to this school and their new hockey program?!?! Wow! This means they've been trying UNSUCCESSFULLY for 2 years to launch this program. That is not a good sign. I had heard his former team didn't like him and that's why he got fired after their most successful season ever, and now he only was able to recruit 9 players for his new team?! The writing is on the wall.
            Can you link the roster info? I've checked Wilkes' site again and still can't find it. Hard to believe a team that pushed back the first season due to low recruitment is going forward with 9. Maybe the 9 are who they had ready for last season and there's more TBA? Checking CHS archives, the lowest roster Utter ever listed at Cortland was 20. This would be a huge drop off.

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            This coach recruited my daughter. She was not impressed with the school, the location, or (mainly) the coach. His approach to her was very negative and he reached out to her without any prompting from others. She was immediately turned off by the program. Interesting, though, how the school right across the street from them was able to start a team. While roster numbers are low, and they have not been very successful from a wins standpoint so far, they seem to be building.
            Thanks for the insight into the recruitment process. Can you expand on what about his approach was very negative? Was it his overall attitude about the program or institution? Something he said to her? Or do you mean the manner in which he reached out? What won her over about whatever program she did go to?

Comment

Thanks for the info and the article! Very nice read.

Regarding their interest in the preseason poll: “The [polls] might have us dead last, because we’re a new team, and my girls would hang that up in the locker room and throw darts at it,” said Wasylk."

Given that: they have enough skaters for a full lineup (unlike many new
              teams), have Tess Adams, and Wasylk's record as an assistant: I would put them ahead of Salem State, Southern Maine, and NEC who are all traditionally not very good.
              Coach W has the program heading in the right direction. They’re gonna win some games.

Comment

Can you link the roster info? I've checked Wilkes' site again and still can't find it. Hard to believe a team that pushed back the first season due to low recruitment is going forward with 9. Maybe the 9 are who they had ready for last season and there's more TBA? Checking CHS archives, the lowest roster Utter ever listed at Cortland was 20. This would be a huge drop off.

Thanks for the insight into the recruitment process. Can you expand on what about his approach was very negative? Was it his overall attitude about the program or institution? Something he said to her? Or do you mean the manner in which he reached out? What won her over about whatever program she did go to?
                I've written this before about Utter as well. My daughter is going into her junior year so he was at Cortland when we talked to him. Compared to the other coaches she was talking to he was just not very "likeable" and didn't seem engaged in the process. in fairness he was near the end of his tenure at Cortland, but he was still out there recruiting.....
                He was not engaging, didn't seem to have a fire about the program, just seemed to be going through the motions.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                  I've written this before about Utter as well. My daughter is going into her junior year so he was at Cortland when we talked to him. Compared to the other coaches she was talking to he was just not very "likeable" and didn't seem engaged in the process. in fairness he was near the end of his tenure at Cortland, but he was still out there recruiting.....
                  He was not engaging, didn't seem to have a fire about the program, just seemed to be going through the motions.
                  BTW here's the link to the roster: https://gowilkesu.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey&

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                    BTW here's the link to the roster: https://gowilkesu.com/roster.aspx?path=whockey&
                    If that's really it, they're going to get killed out there. It's Pennsylvania not Florida, there have to have been more girls who've played hockey in HS they could have gone for in recruiting.

I'm really hoping the fact it's not linked on the women's hockey homepage means it's incomplete...
                    Last edited by Scott_TG; 10-05-2018, 12:54 PM.

Comment

• Re: 2018-19 Division III Games, Updates, News Thread

If that's really it, they're going to get killed out there. It's Pennsylvania not Florida, there have to have been more girls who've played hockey in HS they could have gone for in recruiting.

I'm really hoping the fact it's not linked on the women's hockey homepage means it's incomplete...
                      I see Wilkes also delayed the start of their men's program the year before. On Nov. 9/16 they posted that the original coach they had hired to start their men's program changed his mind and stayed where he was. So both programs are on their 2nd head coach before they've ever played a single game! I'd say something isn't good at Wilkes. Maybe the AD has no clue about hockey.

I just watched the pre-season interviews of both the men's head coach and the women's head coach. What a drastic difference in enthusiasm, excitement, expectations for and anticipation of the upcoming inaugural season, you name it! The men's coach is very upbeat and positive. The women's coach is a drab, boring, unexcited dud.

Listen to the drastic difference in their terminology, attitude, etc. The interviewer is a bit of a dud too.

Here's the men's pre-season interview:

https://gowilkesu.com/news/2018/7/9/...-schedule.aspx

Here's the women's pre-season interview:

https://gowilkesu.com/index.aspx?path=whockey

Comment

He really didn't speak about the program or the institution. He didn't try to talk to her or get to know her. After a game in which she played Forward (she has played D since Squirts) without introducing himself he would go on to only tell her about things she had done wrong in the game. I'm not at all against that, but it was said in a manner that was very negative and nothing constructive. She had actually scored a goal, granted on a great assist by one of her teammates, and had 5 shots on goal in that game. She DID have her faults during the game but she also did some good things. This was the first time he had ever spoken to her in person. He had good things to say through emails, but seemed to be very different in person.

As far as the program she chose, she immediately had a great rapport with the coach and the coach was very positive in her communication (through both email and in person). This held true with the assistant coaches. They were able to talk to her and mention things they liked about her play and areas they thought she could improve, but always focused on being constructive and building confidence (which we are finding out is true for MANY girl players). Ultimately for my daughter, it was the schooling she could get along with playing hockey through her college years.

Comment

Happy first day of practice (except for the NESCAC)!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott_TG View Post
                            Happy first day of practice (except for the NESCAC)!
                            So is this a new rule? First day of practice on a national holiday...I guess there's no rest for the anxious-to-get-started!
                            Last edited by shelfit; 10-09-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

So this a new rule? First day of practice on a national holiday...I guess there's no rest for the anxious-to-get-started!
                              First Day of Practice as in first day it's permitted (except in the NESCAC). I'm sure with the holiday many programs had the actual first practice today.

Comment

Working...
                              X