This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
    Think it, don't say it. Not if you want to win and stop the madness. You're not trying to win them over, but if you're looking for those people in the middle, who mostly only vaguely pay attention to politics, they're going to see vitriolic language coming from both sides and call it a toss up. If they see the vitriol being met with measured words and true logic, you have to hope that they make the rights choice.
    Sure. Like they did last time.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Re: POTUS: 45.36: I Designed The Sears Tower, I Make 2 Grand An Hour

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Ask yourself what it would look like if it was beginning here.

If the Nazis bother you, then think of Mussolini. Or Pinochet. Or Franco.

What would it look like, at the beginning?
      I've been thinking about that a lot over the last few weeks.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ask yourself what it would look like if it was beginning here.

If the Nazis bother you, then think of Mussolini. Or Pinochet. Or Franco.

What would it look like, at the beginning?
        I'm not going to claim to be a scholar on fascism, but it seems to me that what Trump does and says which triggers "fascism" thoughts for many people, things like themes of nationalistic pride, creating monsters out of minorities or foreigners, targeting the media for attack, he does for effect. I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think in typical fascist regimes we see legislative efforts to further enhance the wealth of the upper crust or corporations. Instead, I think those institutions are frequently targeted by the fascists.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
          we see legislative efforts to further enhance the wealth of the upper crust or corporations.
          Uhhhh....

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            I'm not going to claim to be a scholar on fascism, but it seems to me that what Trump does and says which triggers "fascism" thoughts for many people, things like themes of nationalistic pride, creating monsters out of minorities or foreigners, targeting the media for attack, he does for effect. I don't know this for a fact, but I don't think in typical fascist regimes we see legislative efforts to further enhance the wealth of the upper crust or corporations. Instead, I think those institutions are frequently targeted by the fascists.
            https://www.britannica.com/topic/fas...nomic-programs
            "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
              Sure. Like they did last time.
              I don't think people understood who Trump was in 2016. He's a sideshow, and can't be as crazy and self-involved as he seems. Personally, I thought he would be tempered by the gravity of the position. I voted against the man, the first time I ever cast a D vote for POTUS, and even I was shocked by what he's shown himself to be.

Now people know, and I think you'll see a more motivated base. Someone like Kerry could win this election, but not someone who's been as demonized, and comes off as shrill, as Hillary.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Fascism is the union of the upper economic strata and the reactionary masses. The whole idea of the fasces is that the sticks are bundled together so they cannot be broken -- the sticks are the dominant institutions of the society, the bundling is done by the seizure of total political power by the state. In fascism the richest business leaders all work together rather than compete -- competition is directed outwards via the military aggression of the state. So while fascist social policy is racist and xenophobic to appeal to the right wing masses, fascist economics is highly plutocratic to appeal to the right wing elites.

That is exactly what is going on right now: the 1% and the dregs of our society are joining up to attack western liberal values, destroy democracy, and also destroy any opposition to the unlimited accumulation of wealth by the 1%.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Fascism is the union of the upper economic strata and the reactionary masses. The whole idea of the fasces is that the sticks are bundled together so they cannot be broken -- the sticks are the dominant institutions of the society, the bundling is done by the seizure of total political power by the state. In fascism the richest business leaders all work together rather than compete -- competition is directed outwards via the military aggression of the state. So while fascist social policy is racist and xenophobic to appeal to the right wing masses, fascist economics is highly plutocratic to appeal to the right wing elites.

That is exactly what is going on right now: the 1% and the dregs of our society are joining up to attack western liberal values, destroy democracy, and also destroy any opposition to the unlimited accumulation of wealth by the 1%.
                  But I think that an important difference is there isn't the effort to take national control of those financial and business institutions. There isn't the consolidation of power within the government. In fact, if there is anything, Trump seeks to basically pull back all regulation of business enterprises by the government. I don't think Trump is acting out in a fashion to seize power for power's sake. As you and others have pointed out, I think he's just doing what he's always done -- look for ways to line his pocket.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

After Melania's office said there was no message, it was just a jacket.
                    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Those financial and business institutions are the government.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

... But we're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. We are not nazi germany of the 1930's and those of us who are not voting straight D are not the "good germans" of this era. ...
                        You're right. We're not 1930's Germany.

We're 1800's America.

We're 1901 America.

We're 1918 America.

We're December 7, 1941 America.

We're December 8, 1941 America.

We're 1942 America.

We're 1943 America.

We're 1950 America.

We're 1961 America.

We're 2003 America.

But we're not 1930's Germany.
                        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

The reason the NYT is correct is personified by this post.

You should be angry about Donald Trump and most of his policies. And you should want to do something about it.

But writing posts, tweets, letters to the editor, or in general communicating like you have in this post does not cause anyone to be persuaded to your point. In fact, it probably causes most of us to try to just quietly slip away before we get struck by the shrapnel.

Acting unhinged does not cause people to rally to your cause, and to be candid, there are many mornings when I skim through the Cafe postings and think to myself, holy s h ! t, some of these people are crazed lunatics.
                          If you can't become unhinged seeing innocent children being taken from their parents BY AMERICANS ON THE ORDERS OF THE AMERICAN PRESIDENT, parents who are not a danger to them, have been convicted of nothing and suspected of only a non-violent misdemeanor then there is nothing you can ever be allowed to become unhinged about. This is the most vile and rank whataboutism I have seen posted here in quite a while.

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                            You're right. We're not 1930's Germany.

We're 1800's America.

We're 1901 America.

We're 1918 America.

We're December 7, 1941 America.

We're December 8, 1941 America.

We're 1942 America.

We're 1943 America.

We're 1950 America.

We're 1961 America.

We're 2003 America.

But we're not 1930's Germany.
                            Sounds to me like all we've done for 240 years is inter people. Not sure I've argued otherwise, though.

Comment

I like how Hovey is splitting hairs on people calling them concentration camps... guilty conscience much? Sorry but if you have to split hairs on whether the party you support (or consistently run interference for, BSARBVR, etc.) are actual nazis or putting people in concentration camps maybe you need to reassess.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                How many votes are necessary to merge labor and education (which makes absolutely no sense; there is no overlap at all)
                                I actually think there is some overlap. Of course the trump administration is offering the typical republican claptrap about efficiency and lean government, so the reasons offered by the White House are mostly nonsense.

Comment

Working...
                                X