NCAA Hockey Rules Committee Announces Changes For 2018-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NCAA Hockey Rules Committee Announces Changes For 2018-19

I agree that a tie’s a tie after 60 minutes. When you need a winner (all tourneys) play real hockey (5x5) until you get one.

If not the above, how about handicapping teams that haven’t won an OT in at least three years? (That’s as far back as I want to look.)
    Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 06-19-2018, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Oh No! The shootout may be back!

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...posal-modified
      Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
        I actually enjoy 3v3 hockey. It is a whole different game from 5v5, but the point is that the 5v5 was unable to produce a winner. Of course, I also enjoyed watching the cast from Three's Company compete against Mean Joe Greene paddling life rafts in a swimming pool on the Superstars TV shows in the '70s.

Comment

STOP with the gimmicks. Play REAL hockey. Come on, you can do it.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            STOP with the gimmicks. Play REAL hockey. Come on, you can do it.
            No one here likes shootouts, 4v4, or 3v3 more than 5v5.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              I am in favor of a punt, pass and kick competition to decide the winner.
              In theory 4x4 or 3x3 should favor the better skating team but after 60 minutes of play I am not convinced that is really accurate. For the regular season I guess it simplifies things to eliminate ties but I don't stay for shootouts because they are silly and do not favor the better team more than random chance. They could hold a coin toss for all I care.

Comment

Sounds like maybe the coaches made their voice heard about their preferences. I wonder how the players feel overall. I never had a problem with the rule playing a 5 on 5 overtime for 5 minutes. Sometimes a tie feels like a win to the team that wasn't supposed to win on paper going into the game. I feel as though 4 on 4, 3 on 3, and shootouts favor the team that actually is better on paper. I would bet the teams that are typically at the top end of the talent pool favor the new change proposals but the teams that are typically at the lower end of the talent pool probably favor keeping things the way they are with the five on five for five minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Sounds like maybe the coaches made their voice heard about their preferences.
                  Apparently it was the men's coaches from the NCHC that strongly objected to the one 5 minute overtime period, and this held sway and led to the rule modification.

I wonder how the players feel overall.
                  I very much doubt they had any influence, one way or the other, so as a practical matter most would say, "Whatever".

I feel as though 4 on 4, 3 on 3, and shootouts favor the team that actually is better on paper. I would bet the teams that are typically at the top end of the talent pool favor the new change proposals but the teams that are typically at the lower end of the talent pool probably favor keeping things the way they are with the five on five for five minutes.
                  I agree with everything here other than "shootouts favor the team that actually is better on paper." Remembering that hockey is a team game, not a one-on-one skills contest.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                    I actually enjoy 3v3 hockey. It is a whole different game from 5v5, but the point is that the 5v5 was unable to produce a winner. Of course, I also enjoyed watching the cast from Three's Company compete against Mean Joe Greene paddling life rafts in a swimming pool on the Superstars TV shows in the '70s.
                    Gabe Kaplan, a 5X team captain, showed tremendous leadership back in the day.

Comment

"They shoot horses, don't they?"
                      Last edited by thirdtime's . . .; 07-19-2018, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Apparently it was the men's coaches from the NCHC that strongly objected to the one 5 minute overtime period, and this held sway and led to the rule modification.
                        I'm guessing the Beanpot schools also probably squawked.
                        Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                        Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                        Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Genbeau View Post
                          Gabe Kaplan, a 5X team captain, showed tremendous leadership back in the day.
                          I have always felt that Gabe Kaplan was underrated as a tactician.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
                            I have always felt that Gabe Kaplan was underrated as a tactician.
                            Lynda Carter was fun to watch on his team in this competition...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDgrwDfowKk
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

I'm guessing the Beanpot schools also probably squawked.
                              From this article it's apparent that the WCHA (men's) also gave input.

http://www.startribune.com/ncaa-hock...uts/488682401/

Comment

Disappointing news.

Besides being a step in the wrong direction, the Rules Committee's process also leaves something to be desired. Bertanga puts the best spin on it that one can. But usually it's better to have the comment period prior to announcing a decision.

From this article it's apparent that the WCHA (men's) also gave input.

http://www.startribune.com/ncaa-hock...uts/488682401/
                                The current format used in the B1G Men's league is also back on the ballot. Looks like an East/West divide among the coaches, with the Western coaches favoring the gimmicks. That's a little uncomfortable for a Western fan who's against shootouts. We have met the enemy, and it is us?

Originally posted by NCAA
                                During nonconference games, these alternative options are not permitted, and a game would end in a tie after the traditional five-minute overtime.
                                Which may reveal the underlying reason for this odd chain of events. It sure looks the Eastern coaches got together and decided they didn't want to participate in the "alternative options" during non-conference play. But with that specific demand satisfied, the principled opposition to shootouts melted away...

Just speculation on my part. But the shoe seems to fit.
                                Last edited by pgb-ohio; 07-20-2018, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X