Standardized overtime, among other changes:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...sed-ice-hockey
    Yeah, no more shootouts!
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Re: NCAA Hockey Rules Committee Announces Changes For 2018-19

Originally posted by D2D View Post
      Yeah, no more shootouts!
      That is good news for the Gopher forwards. OTOH, I'll have to find something else to discuss with my friends at OSU, now that I can no longer argue that a shootout win isn't really a win.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
        Standardized overtime, among other changes:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/icehockey-...sed-ice-hockey
        Straight up hockey, no gimmicks, love it. I'm shocked they got this right.
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
          I despise the shootout however do like the excitement of 4 on 4 or 3 on 3 OT. I would have liked to see a 4 on 4 OT period however this is a clear improvement and consistent across Division 1 hockey. Nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
            I understand this argument but really you have just played 60 minutes of mostly 5 on 5 Hockey and it’s tied. What’s the point of more of the same? Change it up and go to 4 on 4. It’s still “real hockey”. It happens all the time in regulation. Teams prepare for it. For overtime it’s exciting for fans and it’s more likely to get a winner. No one likes a tie.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
              No one likes a tie.
              No one (Penn State) wants to pile them up (Penn State) again next season (Penn State)...ugh.

Comment

I understand this argument but really you have just played 60 minutes of mostly 5 on 5 Hockey and it’s tied. What’s the point of more of the same?
                You make it sound like a 5-minute OT is unlikely to produce a winner. Minnesota went to 5-min OT eight times last season and three games ended in ties. Even a team like Bemidji State that plays more low-scoring games played seven OT games with three ties. Perhaps Maine with nine OT games and five ties or Northeastern with six OTs and three ties are more typical, but I think Penn St with 14 OT games and 11 ties is an outlier.

I like 5-on-5 hockey and don't like any system that tries to arbitrarily force a winner, and then lumps those results together with results derived by regular rules.
                "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I understand this argument but really you have just played 60 minutes of mostly 5 on 5 Hockey and it’s tied. What’s the point of more of the same? Change it up and go to 4 on 4. It’s still “real hockey”. It happens all the time in regulation. Teams prepare for it. For overtime it’s exciting for fans and it’s more likely to get a winner. No one likes a tie.
                  Youngster, eh?

I'm going to line up with my fellow ancients. There are many times when a tie is a just and likable result. When a gimmick is used to break such a tie, that's the unlikable outcome.

Yes, ARM -- you too are an ancient. And we can keep talking about the old days for just as long as you want.

But fear not, Rightnut. In the long run, I have no doubt that the next generation will prevail. The pro leagues, along with international play, will serve as a constant reminder that more "exciting" formats are available. Eventually College Hockey will once again succumb to the temptation.

Timeline? Obviously the new "retro" rule will be with us for at least two years, until another rulebook is released. At that point, an abrupt about face would still seem to be unlikely. But my guess is that within 10 years, one of the more exciting rules will be adopted. The only real trick will be getting all of the various conferences to agree on which tiebreaker to adopt. I do believe that the era of letting individual conferences experiment with tiebreakers is over.

Patience, Young Jedi. For better or worse, generational replacement is inevitable. You will have your day.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
                    Youngster, eh?

I'm going to line up with my fellow ancients. There are many times when a tie is a just and likable result. When a gimmick is used to break such a tie, that's the unlikable outcome.

Yes, ARM -- you too are an ancient. And we can keep talking about the old days for just as long as you want.

But fear not, Rightnut. In the long run, I have no doubt that the next generation will prevail. The pro leagues, along with international play, will serve as a constant reminder that more "exciting" formats are available. Eventually College Hockey will once again succumb to the temptation.

Timeline? Obviously the new "retro" rule will be with us for at least two years, until another rulebook is released. At that point, an abrupt about face would still seem to be unlikely. But my guess is that within 10 years, one of the more exciting rules will be adopted. The only real trick will be getting all of the various conferences to agree on which tiebreaker to adopt. I do believe that the era of letting individual conferences experiment with tiebreakers is over.

Patience, Young Jedi. For better or worse, generational replacement is inevitable. You will have your day.
                    I guess young is a matter of perspective. I can apply for AARP but I’ll take being considered young. I get your points. I just feel that the point of overtime is to get a winner. If that is the case, try something different than what was going on for the first 60 minutes that ended up in a tie.

Comment

I guess young is a matter of perspective. I can apply for AARP but I’ll take being considered young. I get your points. I just feel that the point of overtime is to get a winner. If that is the case, try something different than what was going on for the first 60 minutes that ended up in a tie.
                      I'd rather see them extend the overtime from 5 minutes to 10 minutes and leave it 5 on 5 compared to making it four on four or 3 on 3 for 5 minutes. Or split the difference and make overtime 7 or 8 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                        I'd rather see them extend the overtime from 5 minutes to 10 minutes and leave it 5 on 5 compared to making it four on four or 3 on 3 for 5 minutes. Or split the difference and make overtime 7 or 8 minutes.
                        When I was at Clarkson, it was 10 minutes 5 skaters a side. Of course we also had all minor penalties were on the penalty clock and no facemasks.

And 2 referees and no linesmen.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Minnesota high schools (boys and girls) play one 8 minute sudden death overtime, and if neither team scores the game is deemed a tie. Seems about right to me.
                          Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Agreed. I would go with 10 minutes to maximize the chances of breaking the tie. 5 minutes leaves the option of playing "defense only" fully on the table. Kill off the equivalent of a major, and you've got your tie.

Beyond that, half of a period just feels right. And I highly doubt it would take more time than the 5 minutes + shootout format.

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                            When I was at Clarkson, it was 10 minutes 5 skaters a side. Of course we also had all minor penalties were on the penalty clock and no facemasks.

And 2 referees and no linesmen.
                            We must be around the same age. I also have first hand memories of the 10 minute O.T. Late 70's & Early 80's, IIRC. In any event, there's precedent for both 5 and 10 minutes. 10 minutes would be a retro rule, as opposed to an arbitrary experiment.

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                            Minnesota high schools (boys and girls) play one 8 minute sudden death overtime, and if neither team scores the game is deemed a tie. Seems about right to me.
                            Minnesota High School games have 15 minute periods, correct? If yes, the 8 minutes would be just over half a period, and thus would be compatible with 10 minutes at the college level.

Comment

pgb-ohio

Minnesota plays 17 minute periods. In the sectionals and state tournament the overtime is a hybrid.
                              8 minutes
                              resurface
                              17 minutes
                              brief break
                              and repeat the 8/17 until somebody scores.

Most states do not play unlimited overtime. After X OT periods, they use a shootout to determine a winner.

Up until a few years ago, Rhode Island was weird. They play a 2 out of 3 final, but if a game was tied after 2 OTs, it was declared "no result" and you played another game in the series. The champion could end up 2 wins, 1 loss, and 2 ties.

New Jersey was weirder. Play a single 15 minute OT and, if tied, declare co champions. I think that changes for 18-19.
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Working...
                              X