Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Former referee myself. One of the announcers during the Peru game said something that caught me off guard.

He said the goalie is literally untouchable in the goal area. Outside of that he or she is just another player when it comes to contact. I don’t remember any such rule back when I was a ref. So I call bullish-t.

Your thoughts?
    There's a reason why referee forums tend to have a "Things announcers say" thread. It's total bullsh-t. The only privilege the goalkeeper gets is the ability to handle the ball in their own penalty area and you're not allowed to kick the ball out of the goalkeepers hands.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Also, they don’t have to touch the ball to be offsides. They just need to gain an advantage unless the rule has changed. A distinct possibility.

Wrong!

Laws got updated a couple of years back to specifically say the ball has to be touched:
      interfering with play by playing or touching a ball passed or touched by a team-mate
      I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Agree on Dr. Joe. He never seems to actually give an opinion. He simply tells you what we already know, that the play is under review.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Agree on Dr. Joe. He never seems to actually give an opinion. He simply tells you what we already know, that the play is under review.
          Also, Dr. Joe was never a referee. Why they use him instead of plenty of other qualified people like Sandra Hunt, Brian Hall, Dr. Sarafini, or even Kevin Stott is beyond me.
          I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
            And now that we're in the thick of things I can do this post...

Hello! It's your friendly neighborhood USCHO Soccer Referee! Are you new to soccer and have questions? Great! Are you not new but have no clue but act like you totally do? SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform! (You call it offsides I bet.) Well, I'm here to help!
            What's this "goal" thing I keep hearing about?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
            iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
            gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
            Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
            Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
            TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
            DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
              What's this "goal" thing I keep hearing about?
              It's in Law 10:

A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no offence has been committed by the team scoring the goal.
              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Offsides: it's a moving blue line, compared to hockey.
                Game action: guys kick around the ball for the lulz, once in a while it goes in.
                Penalties: players act like Greg Louganis and flop like they got murdered, and hope the referees accept their ploy. Usually successful. The opposing team gets penalized.
                Extra time: up to the referees' discretion. Whatever feels right, in their opinion.

I hope this explains things.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                  Offsides: it's a moving blue line, compared to hockey.
                  Game action: guys kick around the ball for the lulz, once in a while it goes in.
                  Penalties: players act like Greg Louganis and flop like they got murdered, and hope the referees accept their ploy. Usually successful. The opposing team gets penalized.
                  Extra time: up to the referees' discretion. Whatever feels right, in their opinion.

I hope this explains things.
                  That's added or stoppage time son, extra time is something else.

Comment

Also, Dr. Joe was never a referee. Why they use him instead of plenty of other qualified people like Sandra Hunt, Brian Hall, Dr. Sarafini, or even Kevin Stott is beyond me.
                    Because it's still a Fox station. They do not make good calls. If they happen to strike gold, it's from the "blind squirrel finding a nut" variety than actual thought or planning.

Comment

• Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Wrong!

Laws got updated a couple of years back to specifically say the ball has to be touched:
                      Not wrong. He explicitly noted that caveat. (/lawyered) (/HIMYM)

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
                        Because it's still a Fox station. They do not make good calls. If they happen to strike gold, it's from the "blind squirrel finding a nut" variety than actual thought or planning.
                        I guess Mike Pereira falls under the “blind squirrel” category?

It just baffles me that with studios located in LA, with literally tens of qualified people within driving distance (Cal South likely has the highest concentration of National and FIFA level referees in the country), and they pick “former FIFA Match Commissioner” as their “rules expert”.
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Stauber1 View Post
                          That's added or stoppage time son, extra time is something else.
                          Extra Time is two periods of 15 minutes each. Both periods must be played.

I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Two things on this:
                            1. The fact that a player embellishes does not help the referee call a foul, but it also doesn’t change the fact the player was fouled. If player gets kicked, him flopping around doesn’t change the fact he got kicked, and kicking an opponent is a foul. Now, referees could of course caution players left and right for this but then we’d be “ruining the game” by having so many cautions.

2. Running at full speed, and yeah those guys move very quickly, and getting kicked in the ankle ****ing stings like a SOB. So cut some slack.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Not exactly. There are guidelines in the LOTG (Laws Of The Game):
                            substitutions
                            assessment and/or removal of injured players
                            wasting time
                            disciplinary sanctions
                            stoppages for drinks (which should not exceed one minute) or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules
                            delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’
                            any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)
                            With a little bit practice you can learn to recognize “30 seconds there” and “one minute there” and come up with a pretty good estimate of the amount of Time Added On.

(I know you were being humorous but I still must)
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                              It's in Law 10:

A goal is scored when the whole of the ball passes over the goal line, between the goalposts and under the crossbar, provided that no offence has been committed by the team scoring the goal.

Doesn't that define an own goal as no offense was used to produce the score??
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Ticos have blown a couple chances early.
                                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Working...
                                X