Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

He’s Chris Berman
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Peru has to put one of these in eventually.
      Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

That’s a horrible, helpless feeling as a goalie.
        Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          If you sneeze on someone, VAR awards a penalty

That was a horrific attempt though...choked
          Isl arg game was ok
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

IIRC calling a soccer game from the studio is nothing new.
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

May these guys never announce another game. Ugh.

The color guy isn’t terrible. TBF I suppose
              Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                Peru has to put one of these in eventually.
                Or not. Let that one get away.
                Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Germany should have played one group game in Volgograd.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Germany should have played one group game in Volgograd.
                    Alternately, they should never be permitted to play there until they take it. Like the Cup.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The GEICO soccer slide commercial is so dumb it's awesome.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                        If you sneeze on someone, VAR awards a penalty

That was a horrific attempt though...choked
                        The VAR standard has actually seemed pretty high in comparison to MLS and other leagues like the Bundesliga and Serie A in that a few things that would be sent for OFR (On Field Review) haven’t.

Also, Dr. Joe is an idiot.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          The GEICO soccer slide commercial is so dumb it's awesome.
                          That’s true for a lot of their commercials.
                          Code:

Comment

And now that we're in the thick of things I can do this post...

Hello! It's your friendly neighborhood USCHO Soccer Referee! Are you new to soccer and have questions? Great! Are you not new but have no clue but act like you totally do? SierraTangoFoxtrotUniform! (You call it offsides I bet.) Well, I'm here to help!

First off here's a link to the Laws Of The Game. Why "The Laws" and not rules? Because it was written by Brits and they have a lovely way with overly official sounding language. Example: A shootout is not a shootout, it's "Kicks From The (Penalty) Mark" or KFTM or Kicks (technically it's "Kicks From The Mark used as procedure to determine the winner of a match")

"What's this VAR thing?" VAR, or Video Assistant Referee, is a referee that's in a replay room with a bank of monitors with every camera angle available reviewing things in the match while also being to talk with the referee crew via their audio headsets. In the World Cup he'll assisted by up to 3 AVAR, Assistant Video Assistant Referees (*ing Brits) as well.

"What does the VAR review?" From the Laws:
                            The use of VARs in football matches is based on a number of principles, all of which must apply in every match using VARs.

1. A video assistant referee (VAR) is a match official, with independent access to match footage, who may assist the referee only in the event of a ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ in relation to:

a. Goal/no goal
                            b. Penalty/no penalty
                            c. Direct red card (not second yellow card/caution)
                            d. Mistaken identity (when the referee cautions or sends off the wrong player of the offending team)
                            So what's a "clear and obvious error"? Welp, that's up to interpretation to the referees involved. Generally, it'll be things that you'll see on TV that maybe the referee crew couldn't see otherwise.

"Offsides?" Ok first off, it's Offside. No extra "s". Basically, the second to last defending player (given the position of the goalkeeper it's usually the last defender but this can be different at times especially on things like corner kicks) is the blue line, or the ball is the blue line if the ball is closer to the end line. If any attacker has any part of their body, except their arms, past the blue line when the ball is kicked by a teammate AND they actually touch the ball before anyone else THEN they're offside.

"That's insanely complicated." Yes it is. I haven't even gotten into things like "deflection vs intentional touch" or "interferes with an opponent".

"What?" Don't ask.

"Ok... What are these Yellow and Red Card things?" Ah! Cautions and Send Offs! Yeah yellow cards are Cautions and red cards are Send Offs.

A player can be Cautioned for the following reasons:
                            delaying the restart of play
                            dissent by word or action
                            entering, re-entering or deliberately leaving the field of play without the referee’s permission
                            failing to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick, free kick or throw-in
                            persistent offences (no specific number or pattern of offences constitutes “persistent”)
                            unsporting behaviour
                            entering the referee review area (RRA)
                            excessively using the ‘review’ (TV screen) signal
                            90% of the cautions you'll see will be for Unsporting Behavior, either for "commits in a reckless manner a direct free kick offense" or "commits a foul which interferes with or stops a promising attack except where the referee awards a penalty kick for an offense which was an attempt to play the ball"

A player can be Sent Off for the following reasons:
                            denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (except a goalkeeper within their penalty area)
                            denying a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent whose overall movement is towards the offender’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick (unless as outlined below)
                            serious foul play
                            biting or spitting at someone
                            violent conduct
                            using offensive, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures
                            receiving a second caution in the same match
                            entering the video operation room (VOR)
                            90% of the send offs will be for either "Serious Foul Play", generally for "A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play", or "Receiving a second caution in the same match". You might see one or two for "Denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal scoring opportunity" or as referees call it a "DOGSO".

In the US we referees are taught what are called the "4 Ds" when it comes to DOGSO:
                            Direction of play (the player must be moving towards the goal)
                            Number of Defenders (the defender must be the last defender)
                            Distance to the goal (i.e. you need to be close to the goal)
                            Distance to the ball (i.e. you must actually be able to play the ball)

Ok! Hopefully that answers some major questions!
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Former referee myself. One of the announcers during the Peru game said something that caught me off guard.

He said the goalie is literally untouchable in the goal area. Outside of that he or she is just another player when it comes to contact. I don’t remember any such rule back when I was a ref. So I call bullish-t.

Your thoughts?
                              Code:

Comment

Also, they don’t have to touch the ball to be offsides. They just need to gain an advantage unless the rule has changed. A distinct possibility.

Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X