Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    BTW, Referee Geiger acquitted himself quite well in the SK - GER match. Hope he gets more games.
    completely agree, he seems to have earned a knockout game...we shall see.
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

So I've been mulling over the whole 48 team world cup and how much I hate the idea of 3 team groups so I worked out a 48 team, 12 groups of 4 tournament where the top 8 group winners get a buy to the round of 16 and other 16 top 2 finishers play for the right to advance to round of 16. Thats a total of 95 games over the course of 37 or 38 days if you do pretty much 4 games a day every day of the first 2 match days. For the simultaneous matches, you'd have 3 groups each day...
      In the USA/Mexico/Canada bid, you could have games at 12, 3, 6, 9pm eastern with the last games starting playing in a western time zone...not sure how this would work in other countries but I don't really think this tournament will ever be in a single country again...The big reason to me is this format would require at least 18 stadiums. That accounting for each pitch needing at least 2 days off between matches. if you extended the simultaneous games out 1 or 2 more days you could change that but then it extends the tournament longer...no one seems to want that.

From what I've read, the biggest reason the chose 16 groups of 3 format, it didn't require a longer tournament window (32 days), but it seems terribly uneven with teams playing a strange schedule

Day 1: A1 vs A2
      Day 4: A1 vs A3
      Day 7: A2 vs A3

That seems like a very challenging difference for the 3 teams. Do you want to be A1 so that if you advance you have more rest before your round of 24, or round of 16 match? Or do you want to be A2 so you have rest and know what you need to advance? I would assume A3 is the least interesting but maybe not because you are fresh compared to your opponent on Day 4? It's just terribly unbalanced compared to now.
      Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits, Co-Founder of Tech Hockey Guide, and Creator/Host of the Chasing MacNaughton Podcast covering MTU Hockey and the WCHA.

Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

Comment

Can we give a second to Sweden for this World Cup run?

Beat out the Dutch for second in their qualifying group (while finishing second to France).
        Beat Italy in their playoff.
        Won their group, beating the World Champions, the best team from CONCACAF ( ), and arguably one of the best teams in Asia.

And no one has given them a shot the whole time.
        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

For the earlier talk about taking out a player to prevent a clear goal:

Just look at Luis Suarez and his intentional handball in 2010... He swatted the ball off the goal line and got a Red Card for his efforts. Ghana then missed the ensuing PK.... Uruguay then won the match (can't remember if it went to PK's or they got the go-ahead goal in Extra Time).
          It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
            For the earlier talk about taking out a player to prevent a clear goal:

Just look at Luis Suarez and his intentional handball in 2010... He swatted the ball off the goal line and got a Red Card for his efforts. Ghana then missed the ensuing PK.... Uruguay then won the match (can't remember if it went to PK's or they got the go-ahead goal in Extra Time).
            Penalties.
            "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
            -Gallagher

R.I.P.
            Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
            Grandma ~ Jan 2004
            Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
            Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              Germany has a great collection of talent but at least in this tournament they lacked a lead guy. For example an in his prime Klose.
              He was my favorite back in the day. Miss him

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                Penalties.
                Kicks From The Penalty Mark.
                I spell Failure with UAF

But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Originally posted by jimjamesak View Post
                  kicks from the penalty mark. :d
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Shirtless

How to get from 24 -> 16 teams is heartburn city for FIFA.

6pm ET is 8am in Melbourne. 12 noon is 5pm in England, 6pm for the continent & 7pm for Western Russia.

So 12 & 3 works for Europe. 6 & 9 work for Asia. Anytime works for North, Central, and South Americas.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                      Shirtless

How to get from 24 -> 16 teams is heartburn city for FIFA.

6pm ET is 8am in Melbourne. 12 noon is 5pm in England, 6pm for the continent & 7pm for Western Russia.

So 12 & 3 works for Europe. 6 & 9 work for Asia. Anytime works for North, Central, and South Americas.
                      im sure he heartburn is in the not so pretty results who faces who. I assume they’d have a table of if these 4 don’t finish top 4 this happens, etc. it’s been done before and makes far more sense than what we have now.

Comment

Interesting article on stoppage time from 538.

There isn't enough. On the other hand, no one wanted ten more minutes of England-Panama or Belgium-Tunisia. Though I would gladly take ten more minutes of Japan-Senegal.

I wish they would've broken out first half and second half.
                        Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

I guess I view stoppage one only for deliberate wasting of time or things like slow and lazy subs.

If it’s just out of bounds or very short foul stoppages, I never added much time.

When a team dragged their *** when they were up, I kept mental notes and dragged it out. Reasonably.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

England in deep doo doo for tomorrow's match...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business...op-brands-may/
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                              Interesting article on stoppage time from 538.

There isn't enough. On the other hand, no one wanted ten more minutes of England-Panama or Belgium-Tunisia. Though I would gladly take ten more minutes of Japan-Senegal.

I wish they would've broken out first half and second half.
                              I like 538 and their work but, when it comes to soccer, they can be a bit out of touch. First thing to do would’ve been to do some research by talking to a ref and not just looking at the “rules according to FIFA”. (Major point: FIFA alone does not decide the Laws of the Game, the International Football Association Board does. FIFA gets 4 seats along with England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.) Stoppage time is only allowed for:
                              substitutions
                              assessment and/or removal of injured players
                              wasting time
                              disciplinary sanctions
                              stoppages for drinks (which should not exceed one minute) or other medical reasons permitted by competition rules
                              delays relating to VAR ‘checks’ and ‘reviews’
                              any other cause, including any significant delay to a restart (e.g. goal celebrations)
                              The biggest key that 538 gets wrong is calculating the time lost due to throw-ins and goal kicks. The problem is it’s not in the LOTG to add time lost for throw-ins or goal kicks! The referee shouldn’t add time in those situations unless something leads to a delay (a lost ball, time wasting etc.). These are normal situations and should not be accounted for.
                              I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                If it’s just out of bounds or very short foul stoppages, I never added much time.
                                As well you shouldn’t, that’s just normal flow of the game.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                                When a team dragged their *** when they were up, I kept mental notes and dragged it out. Reasonably.
                                I’m much more direct: “Don’t like the fact their being slow on the restart? Don’t foul them/kick the ball out.”
                                I spell Failure with UAF

Comment

Working...
                                X