Page 25 of 41 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 806

Thread: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

  1. #481
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    40,384

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I’m much more direct: “Don’t like the fact their being slow on the restart? Don’t foul them/kick the ball out.”
    do you look to yellow someone who does delaying stuff (moving the ball, diving, etc) early to set a tone? then voice it loud enough to get the message across?

    or rather just let the game play.

    are there refs then who carry a rep that some things aren't allowed or are allowed? like an ump with a wide strike zone?
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  2. #482
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,257

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    In looking at the brackets when you look at current form is the top half really much more difficult than the bottom? Sitting at a bar watching games right now so don't want to spend time dissecting it but I don't see it that way.

  3. #483
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,530

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    In looking at the brackets when you look at current form is the top half really much more difficult than the bottom? Sitting at a bar watching games right now so don't want to spend time dissecting it but I don't see it that way.
    probably not but perception will always be that there is an easier half...
    Michigan Tech Legend, Founder of Mitch's Misfits...Posted by Yager on 12/18/09: Remember, remember, the 18th of October (2003).

    Sports Allegiance: NFL: GB MLB: MIL NHL: MIN CB: UW CF: UW CH: MTU FIFA: USA MLS: MIN EPL: Everton

  4. #484

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,668

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Columbia converts a corner kick and now lead the group.

    Poland leads Japan, so I THINK Senegal still gets in as #2.

    Nope Japan is #2 if the results hold.

  5. #485
    NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Mountain View, CA
    Posts
    18,872

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Columbia converts a corner kick and now lead the group.

    Poland leads Japan, so I THINK Senegal still gets in as #2.

    Nope Japan is #2 if the results hold.
    The best part, Japan could drop out if they get two yellow cards in the remaining minutes, even if no one in either game scores any goals.

    Cornell '04, Stanford '06


    KDR

    Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Shirtless Bob That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

  6. #486
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Senegal out on fair play.

    I understand that if you hurry too much you're likely to mess up, but 30 seconds left with a throw in, you should probably try not to take the entire time to get it in.

    On the plus side, this means Belgium and England will actually go for a win to avoid Colombia.

  7. #487
    Kings affiliate
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    St. Cloud, MN
    Posts
    11,410

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    1st time since 82...no African sides advance

  8. #488
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
    1st time since 82...no African sides advance
    1) European World Cup (non-Euro teams generally struggle).
    2) Weaker countries qualifying (No Ghana, no Ivory Coast).
    3) Nigeria in a tough group.

  9. #489
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    10 UEFA
    4 CONMEBOL
    1 CONCACAF + AFC

    So besides Japan, the underdogs are either Mexico or Russia. Bleh.

  10. #490
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    10 UEFA
    4 CONMEBOL
    1 CONCACAF + AFC

    So besides Japan, the underdogs are either Mexico or Russia. Bleh.
    By the Quarterfinals you get what I would consider to be a correction. The group stage and the round of 16 will have upsets but by the time the semis are determined it’ll be the same faces.

  11. #491
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,257

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    BEL-ENG could be a borefest with all the lineup changes and lack of sense of urgency. Too bad.

  12. #492

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    BEL-ENG could be a borefest with all the lineup changes and lack of sense of urgency. Too bad.
    Avoiding the double yellow.

  13. #493
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Avoiding the double yellow.
    Also injuries and rest.

  14. #494
    (Comrade Fox)
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Burlington, VT
    Posts
    1,079

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    BEL-ENG could be a borefest with all the lineup changes and lack of sense of urgency. Too bad.
    PAN/TUN has been surprisingly entertaining.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

    Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

    UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

    Men's: 22-22-4
    Women's: 11-17-7

    /r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

  15. #495
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,296

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Even at the World Cup Seattle players are getting hurt.

  16. #496

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    35,668

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    I went all in on the FIFA bracket challenge and picked England over Belgium.

  17. #497
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    I love that Deadspin refuses to go back on any take they have. They've talked for days about how it's better to lose the England-Belgium game back when it looked like you'd get either Senegal or Japan no matter the result. Now, despite Colombia taking first, they're still saying it was better to lose the game rather than get Japan in the opener, simply because the second round match-up is most likely Brazil.

    Sure, Colombia then Switzerland/Sweden may not be the hardest road, but it's possible to end up with Japan and Mexico. And you still have to beat Colombia, who's a full ten points higher in SPI rankings than Japan.

    Edit: Actually, looks like their original article also brought up the loser facing Colombia. So I guess it's just a bad take to begin with.
    Last edited by Spartanforlife4; 06-28-2018 at 05:58 PM.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    Go State! Beat Minnesota
    4-6-0 (0-0-0-0, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  18. #498
    Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    49th
    Posts
    18,296
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
    I love that Deadspin refuses to go back on any take they have. They've talked for days about how it's better to lose the England-Belgium game back when it looked like you'd get either Senegal or Japan no matter the result. Now, despite Colombia taking first, they're still saying it was better to lose the game rather than get Japan in the opener, simply because the second round match-up is most likely Brazil.

    Sure, Colombia then Switzerland/Sweden may not be the hardest road, but it's possible to end up with Japan and Mexico. And you still have to beat Colombia, who's a full ten points higher in SPI rankings than Japan.
    I like Deadspin but Haisley is a cancer on the soccer coverage on that site and it affects the others. His article ripping into US Players calling out Landon Donovan because “the US-Mexico rivalry doesn’t matter” was utter nonsense.

  19. #499
    Generic Catchy Message
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Willoughby, 1888
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    I like Deadspin but Haisley is a cancer on the soccer coverage on that site and it affects the others. His article ripping into US Players calling out Landon Donovan because “the US-Mexico rivalry doesn’t matter” was utter nonsense.
    He got ripped on that one, which you know is bad because the commenters are generally 90% behind the writer and attack the dissenters. Same thing happened when Lauren Theisen wrote about how fair play was stupid as a tiebreaker and then offered no alternative. I think she's my least favorite writer on the entire site. There's just no substance to her articles.
    Go Green! Go White! Go State!

    Go State! Beat Minnesota
    4-6-0 (0-0-0-0, 7th B1G)


    1966, 1986, 2007

    Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

  20. #500
    Old Dirty Basterd Shirtless Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    16,530

    Re: World Cup 2018: The best party money could buy (until 2022)!

    I don’t think I want Sweden...

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •