Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    Well done, sir! Well done!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Grenade launcher is legal, the grenades are not

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Not like you couldn't create one. Heck, you could probably do it with the stuff in the gift shop of the secure section of the airport.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Not as fun as a grenade launcher.
        You think too small.

One of us has a degree from the (now reorganized) nuclear engineering / engineering physics department at RPI.

Go big or go home.
        The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Sounds like Canada has an active shooter event.
          Code:
          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
          Originally posted by SanTropez
          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
          Originally posted by Kepler
          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
            Sounds like Canada has an active shooter event.
            4 dead in Fredericton, NB

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
              4 dead in Fredericton, NB
              Only 4? Pikers.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                Only 4? Pikers.
                Well, two were cops. That's 2x point value.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Man in deadly ‘stand your ground’ shooting charged with manslaughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    There will be an acquittal.
                    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

• Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                      There will be an acquittal.
                      Agreed. The shooter should face some sort of invasion of privacy charge too. Why the guy was parked there was none of his business.
                      Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                      Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                        Agreed. The shooter should face some sort of invasion of privacy charge too. Why the guy was parked there was none of his business.
                        Nope. Straight acquittal. You can't use your gun in that situation you may as well throw the 2nd Amendment away.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Some might celebrate if the charges stick - thinking that SYG works. But that will lull citizens into a false sense of security...as others, try to make the defense work. In fact, this is very likely a case where one guy killed another just because he thought he could get off on SYG. The net result are people die regardless.
                          Last edited by 5mn_Major; 08-13-2018, 04:53 PM.
                          Go Gophers!

Comment

Here is my thought on this. I don't mind that prosecutors have charged this guy, even though I think that under Florida law it might be a close call as to whether he has committed a crime, and even though I agree there is a pretty good chance of acquittal.

I want prosecutors to bring some tough cases, even if they lose them.

There has been a series of articles in the Minneapolis newspaper the last few weeks about the general lack of prosecution of rape cases in Minnesota. A myriad of excuses are given by the police and prosecutors, including delay in reporting, an intoxicated victim, etc...

In my opinion the only cause of insufficient prosecution of rape cases is the refusal of prosecutors to take on the tough case, and possibly lose it. They all want to put in their campaign literature brags of a "95% conviction rate" or some such nonsense. When I hear a prosecuting attorney brag that his or her office wins 95% of their cases, the only thing that crosses my mind is that they must be pathetic prosecutors. Take a shot. If the jury acquits, so be it. As a prosecutor you've done your job.

These cases should be prosecuted. Let juries decide. Even if half the rapists or stand your ground defendants get acquitted, lots and lots of other bad people will be convicted or plead guilty, and that will help.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                              Here is my thought on this. I don't mind that prosecutors have charged this guy, even though I think that under Florida law it might be a close call as to whether he has committed a crime, and even though I agree there is a pretty good chance of acquittal.

I want prosecutors to bring some tough cases, even if they lose them.

There has been a series of articles in the Minneapolis newspaper the last few weeks about the general lack of prosecution of rape cases in Minnesota. A myriad of excuses are given by the police and prosecutors, including delay in reporting, an intoxicated victim, etc...

In my opinion the only cause of insufficient prosecution of rape cases is the refusal of prosecutors to take on the tough case, and possibly lose it. They all want to put in their campaign literature brags of a "95% conviction rate" or some such nonsense. When I hear a prosecuting attorney brag that his or her office wins 95% of their cases, the only thing that crosses my mind is that they must be pathetic prosecutors. Take a shot. If the jury acquits, so be it. As a prosecutor you've done your job.

These cases should be prosecuted. Let juries decide. Even if half the rapists or stand your ground defendants get acquitted, lots and lots of other bad people will be convicted or plead guilty, and that will help.
                              I agree for the most part, and the same dynamic affects civil litigation. Litigators are very competitive people and HATE to lose. Some of the best I've known are motivated to outwork every opponent not out a desire to win but out of a fear of losing.

In fairness, it's also true that every high profile case (and sexual assaults are high profile cases) takes time and resources, especially when they are difficult to win on the facts. Few governent agencies have an excess of staff and resources, and those factors affect the DA's decisions.

But despite all that, your point is a good one, Hovey.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                Only 4? Pikers.
                                You forgot to factor in percentage of national population. That'd be like 40 in the States. Then toss in that half were cops ...
                                The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Working...
                                X