Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    ... the refusal of prosecutors to take on the tough case, and possibly lose it.
    I used to think this was TV show myth and lore. I've recently met a couple prosecutors. It's real. They're more worried about their win percent than goalies are about save percent.
    The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

Here is my thought on this. I don't mind that prosecutors have charged this guy, even though I think that under Florida law it might be a close call as to whether he has committed a crime, and even though I agree there is a pretty good chance of acquittal.

I want prosecutors to bring some tough cases, even if they lose them.

There has been a series of articles in the Minneapolis newspaper the last few weeks about the general lack of prosecution of rape cases in Minnesota. A myriad of excuses are given by the police and prosecutors, including delay in reporting, an intoxicated victim, etc...

In my opinion the only cause of insufficient prosecution of rape cases is the refusal of prosecutors to take on the tough case, and possibly lose it. They all want to put in their campaign literature brags of a "95% conviction rate" or some such nonsense. When I hear a prosecuting attorney brag that his or her office wins 95% of their cases, the only thing that crosses my mind is that they must be pathetic prosecutors. Take a shot. If the jury acquits, so be it. As a prosecutor you've done your job.

These cases should be prosecuted. Let juries decide. Even if half the rapists or stand your ground defendants get acquitted, lots and lots of other bad people will be convicted or plead guilty, and that will help.
      Sure. That's why you have a judicial system.

The bigger point remains that its a terrible law and will result in baited deaths - and statistics have indicated that could well be baited deaths coming from racists. Based on the gunman's history of frequenting that locale approaching blacks, that case appears to have almost and still may result in premeditated murder that's judged 'justifiable'.
      Go Gophers!

Comment

Isn't the point of going to trial from the perspective of a prosecutor to prove guilt when there's sufficient evidence?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
          Isn't the point of going to trial from the perspective of a prosecutor to prove guilt when there's sufficient evidence?
          Sufficient to whose standard? The prosecutor? The judge? The jury?

Prosecutors seem to want all slam-dunks.
          The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            I guess the point I tried to make is that for many prosecutors “sufficient evidence” equals an amount where there is almost no chance of losing. In the classic “he said, she said “ case, why not give the jury a chance to believe her.
            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by The Sicatoka View Post
              Sufficient to whose standard? The prosecutor? The judge? The jury?
              For at least the jury if it's a jury trial. If you don't have that it's potentially wasted time and resources right?

I guess the point I tried to make is that for many prosecutors “sufficient evidence” equals an amount where there is almost no chance of losing. In the classic “he said, she said “ case, why not give the jury a chance to believe her.
              I wouldn't want to be a judge, a juror nor an attorney on a, "he/she said" case.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                For at least the jury if it's a jury trial. If you don't have that it's potentially wasted time and resources right?

I wouldn't want to be a judge, a juror nor an attorney on a, "he/she said" case.
                Cases like OJ notwithstanding, juries are surprisingly good at sorting through “he said—she said” situations. Couple that with an accurate understanding of who has the burden of proof, they are pretty good fact finders. Imperfect, but pretty good.

Comment

I wish I would have remembered this discussion today. I just got done being on a jury (for the 2nd time) and at the end we had the opportunity to meet with the judge, prosecutors, and defense attorney. While it was mostly about the case that was just tried (all asked how/if they could have done better, what they could have done to help their case, what they did to hurt it), they also explained why some things happen or don't happen the way they do...
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    I wish I would have remembered this discussion today. I just got done being on a jury (for the 2nd time) and at the end we had the opportunity to meet with the judge, prosecutors, and defense attorney. While it was mostly about the case that was just tried (all asked how/if they could have done better, what they could have done to help their case, what they did to hurt it), they also explained why some things happen or don't happen the way they do...
                    This is the thing most don't understand. You don't get 100% details from the media, because most oftentimes, you can't. Then it sometimes becomes an uninformed opinion, and it snowballs.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Possible reset in Jacksonville, FLA

Details sketchy

@JSOPIO: Mass shooting at the Jacksonville Landing. Stay far away from the area. The area is not safe at this time. STAY AWAY #TheLandingMassShooting

Check out a twitter post from @layzr96
                      Last edited by joecct; 08-26-2018, 01:52 PM.
                      CCT '77 & '78
                      4 kids
                      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Sounds like multiple fatalities. Something about the madden tournament?
                        Code:
                        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                        Originally posted by SanTropez
                        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                        Originally posted by Kepler
                        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Possible reset in Jacksonville, FLA

Details sketchy
                          Gaming bar during a Madden tournament. Multiple people hit, casualties unclear.

http://amp.kcra.com/article/police-r...&ICID=ref_fark

ETA: Apparently the first moments of the shooting went out live on Twitch. I'll pass on linking it here.
                          Last edited by Twitch Boy; 08-26-2018, 01:56 PM.
                          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Oh good ****ing god it was live-streamed on twitch
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I think they should replay that clip on every news station and every campaign and until November.

We have a serious problem
                              Code:

Comment

One suspect dead at the scene. Still haven't ruled out others.

Witnesses saying it was someone who had lost a match, left, and came back armed.
                                Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

Working...
                                X