Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Put them in a small isolated cell with no media acceaa of any kind, no visitors ever and one hour of sunlight per day.

Comment

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
      And yet every priest I've ever met is anti death penalty. And the Pope is anti death penalty. Because they view all life as sacred, even when it's hard.

You can cite the canon all you want. I still will think it's hypocritical.
      True evil must be expunged. A Hitler, for example. I doubt there would be, even today, a consensus for life in prison for Adolf.

But, how to define true evil? You may say X is, I may say yes, and so is Y. But Homer over there says neither.

That's why these days we never ever leave the imposition of the death penalty to one individual. It takes 12 people on a jury to recommend death and then the record is carefully scrutinized by others to make sure that everything was properly dotted and crossed. Only then is the person put to death.

Guess what? I would not have executed Timothy McVeigh. I would have put him in a cell surrounded by pictures of all those he killed. Then, on their birthdays, he would be required to write a letter to the next of kin explaining himself. It would be torture. Some would call it cruel and inhuman. I call it penance.

One day, hopefully, he would have broken down and cried the tears of Peter and begged God for forgiveness. Then you could rebuild the man into someone productive.
      CCT '77 & '78
      4 kids
      5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
      1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
      - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

If you can tell me not one innocent person will die due to the Death Penalty I might agree with you. Since you cant no thank you. And that includes Hitler.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Joe, really, what does that accomplish?

As long as they can do no more evil, what is gained by killing them? God should be able to deal with them when the time comes, right?

Your need of revenge has killed enough innocent people already, hasn’t it?

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Joe, really, what does that accomplish?

As long as they can do no more evil, what is gained by killing them? God should be able to deal with them when the time comes, right?

Your need of revenge has killed enough innocent people already, hasn’t it?
            Angry old testament god says there are no innocent people.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              If you can tell me not one innocent person will die due to the Death Penalty I might agree with you. Since you cant no thank you. And that includes Hitler.
              If you can tell me not one innocent person will die due to the Death Penalty I might agree with you.
              Check out the story of Cameron Todd Willingham. I gave up my pro death penalty stance after learning about his plight.
              A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

I don't think even the NRA would agree with this:

CCT '77 & '78
                4 kids

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

Comment

Be sure to keep them fully loaded, better to fire up that engine real fast.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    And yet every priest I've ever met is anti death penalty. And the Pope is anti death penalty. Because they view all life as sacred, even when it's hard.

You can cite the cannon all you want. I still will think it's hypocritical.
                    The Roman Catholic Church hypocritical?! That is SUCH bullsh*!

Wait, reverse that. Thanks.
                    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Trump denies request for flags to be lowered for the Gazette shooting.
                      "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                      -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                      Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                      Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                      Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                      Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                        "There were fine people on both sides of that shotgun".

Comment

• Originally posted by dave122793 View Post
                          "There were fine people on both sides of that shotgun".
                          Given that the media is the enemy, I’m sure he thinks that one side is bad.

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                            @AugensteinWTOP: New: President Trump issues a proclamation, ordering flags be flown at half-staff, in tribute to #CapitalGazette victims. https://twitter.com/AugensteinWTOP/s...643904/photo/1
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids

- Benjamin Franklin

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                              The Roman Catholic Church hypocritical?! That is SUCH bullsh*!

Wait, reverse that. Thanks.
                              Honestly, on this one issue the Church really isn't hypocritical. Joe's protestations not withstanding, in practice the Church is pro life, and it means it. It's pretty much universally against both abortion and the death penalty on the grounds that all life is sacred.

To the extent that is at least a consistent moral message, I can respect it even if I disagree.

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X