Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 0 Days Since Last Mass Killing: Maybe It's the Person, Not the Gun...

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Or how about we just ban them just to be safe?
    Ban what exactly? The CADD files? Force printer manufacturers to create code that will recognize a gun and tell the printer not to print?

Say you did ban the CADD files; you're still going to have the individual part files leak out. People who really want to will still print pieces and assemble the gun.

And 3d printers, while becoming more popular, especially with model toy/figurine hobbyists, are still expensive toys. Filament to create the pieces has come down in price, and is reasonable, but a large amount of plastic would be needed for any rifle to be printed (and a rifle would have to be printed in pieces anyway).

To me, this is an overblown issue that should have been handled with much better care. Kinda like everything else the Trump administration has done.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

We ban printers from printing anything with the eurion constellation. So, yeah?
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        We ban printers from printing anything with the eurion constellation. So, yeah?
        While it's probably a quick cure to curb the casual printing, the problem I see is that anyone with CADD software can go into the file and edit out the constellation, circumventing the printer protection. It's not like a color copier where it's scanning a real world AR-15 (with the EURion Constellation stamped on it for example) and creating a copy of a physical item.

Unless they're going to get AutoDesk, Bentley Systems, and the other almost 200 CADD companies to get on board with using the same digital watermark system (from Digimarc) that Adobe CS (and newer) and Paint Shop Pro 6 (and newer) use to prevent the printing of bank notes from their software. But, that still doesn't stop the piecemeal printing of pieces and the user assembling all the parts. All it does is delay the inevitable.
        “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Huh, I had no idea what the eurion constellation was until 10 minutes ago. Learn something new everyday.

Also, 3D printed guns are a terrible idea.
          Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
          Originally posted by Quizmire
          mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
          MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
          MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
          I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
            I think he meant he wouldnt trust the 3D gun enough to shoot it.
            This and there is no real purpose for a 3D gun other than novelty, and I doubt that is the main purpose of the buyers....

I'm a gun guy, I guess, overall, and even I think this idea is ridiculous.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Ban what exactly? The CADD files? Force printer manufacturers to create code that will recognize a gun and tell the printer not to print?

Say you did ban the CADD files; you're still going to have the individual part files leak out. People who really want to will still print pieces and assemble the gun.

And 3d printers, while becoming more popular, especially with model toy/figurine hobbyists, are still expensive toys. Filament to create the pieces has come down in price, and is reasonable, but a large amount of plastic would be needed for any rifle to be printed (and a rifle would have to be printed in pieces anyway).

To me, this is an overblown issue that should have been handled with much better care. Kinda like everything else the Trump administration has done.
              Soo...we should do nothing because you 'don't know what to ban'? I'm guessing the government can figure that out.

Congrats to gun supporters here which due to the trivialization of 3d puts them to the right of even Donald Trump on the matter.

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              This and there is no real purpose for a 3D gun other than novelty, and I doubt that is the main purpose of the buyers....

So 3d bump stocks are being produced today...the same ones legislatures have been working to make illegal. Do we really need another avenue for Russian hackers to perfect and distribute to American criminals?

Sorry but regressives can't be trusted on matters of life or death - as with Iraq, they can't see past today.
              Go Gophers!

Comment

LOL

3D Bump Stocks. Awesome. Now every semi is an automatic.

No problems here folks. Nothing to see.
                **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post

Oh, there's a purpose, and it is exactly the same as one that is manufactured by other means. And they actually work. It's using technology against the technocracy, pretty much the only true way to beat them.

Comment

Dont feed the troll...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Dont feed the troll...
                      Must spread rep

+1
                      Code:
                      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                      Originally posted by SanTropez
                      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                      Originally posted by Kepler
                      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Does this mean all the conspiracy theories about the gun industry giving the NRA billions aren’t true?
                          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

If you learned to read you would have the answer to your question...
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I assume they don't include their Russian cash. I'll believe they're in actual trouble and not just begging for more hick money when I see it.
                              "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by bronconick View Post
                                I assume they don't include their Russian cash. I'll believe they're in actual trouble and not just begging for more hick money when I see it.
                                The article explains it and it isnt a hustle. They are wasting their resources on the lawsuit with Cuomo. On top of that they cant get insured and are having other issues. They have blown through a lot of money.

In the new document — an amended complaint filed in U.S. District Court in late July — the NRA says it cannot access financial services essential to its operations and is facing “irrecoverable loss and irreparable harm.”

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”

The complaint says the NRA’s video streaming service and magazines may soon shut down.

“The NRA’s inability to obtain insurance in connection with media liability raises risks that are especially acute; if insurers remain afraid to transact with the NRA, there is a substantial risk that NRATV will be forced to cease operating.” The group also warns it “could be forced to cease circulation of various print publications and magazines.”
                                That isnt trying to get Jim Bob to donate more cash, that is them threatening to shutter the doors. I bet they took a serious bath on NRAtv and now thei ridiculous fight with regulators is stretching them thin. Add in that insurers see them a serious threat and oopsie.

Thoughts and prayers...
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X