Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
    according to the Comm Ave Classic Twitter feed, there are only going to be BC players playing in it, and Brandon Hickey apparently.
    Fake News.

In the last month and a half, their twitter account has tweeted about Hickey, Melanson, Colin Wilson, Grzelcyk, O'Regan, Coyle, and McAvoy joining the BU roster.
    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

Is it too soon to start thinking about lines :-)

Tkachuk/Bowers/Harper
      Farabee/Carpenter/Cockerill
      Wise/Curry/Amonte
      DeBoer/Chabot/Quercia/Cheremeta/Witkowski

I think I got everyone. Bowers and Carpenter can certainly be interchanged. I expect a huge point total jump from Cockerill, based on how good he looked at the end of the season, but Wise could certainly make his way to the top two lines. If Curry can bring the game he had down the stretch, he should be the third line center. Not sure what to expect from DeBoer (another Popko?) and Quercia. Or Cheremeta for that matter.

If Tkachuk leaves, then Wise moves up.
      BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
        Is it too soon to start thinking about lines :-)

Tkachuk/Bowers/Harper
        Farabee/Carpenter/Cockerill
        Wise/Curry/Amonte
        DeBoer/Chabot/Quercia/Cheremeta/Witkowski

I think I got everyone. Bowers and Carpenter can certainly be interchanged. I expect a huge point total jump from Cockerill, based on how good he looked at the end of the season, but Wise could certainly make his way to the top two lines. If Curry can bring the game he had down the stretch, he should be the third line center. Not sure what to expect from DeBoer (another Popko?) and Quercia. Or Cheremeta for that matter.

If Tkachuk leaves, then Wise moves up.
        One more, Max Willman, the grad transfer (6'0" left shot) who two years ago had 26 points for a 4-win Brown team. Just attended Buffalo dev. camp. If he adapts to BU's system quickly, he's reportedly a top 9 candidate. Agree on the top two lines and about Cockerill, whose 2nd half play earned him an invite to WJC camp. Wise is a natural center and should be between Amonte and either Curry or Willman. I'd put DeBoer, another natural center at C4 (with Chabot on the right and Curry/Willman/Cheremeta on the left) Don't want another season of holding my breath during D-zone faceoffs with the fourth line. Quercia is also a center with size.
        The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
          One more, Max Willman, the grad transfer (6'0" left shot) who two years ago had 26 points for a 4-win Brown team. Just attended Buffalo dev. camp. If he adapts to BU's system quickly, he's reportedly a top 9 candidate. Agree on the top two lines and about Cockerill, whose 2nd half play earned him an invite to WJC camp. Wise is a natural center and should be between Amonte and either Curry or Willman. I'd put DeBoer, another natural center at C4 (with Chabot on the right and Curry/Willman/Cheremeta on the left) Don't want another season of holding my breath during D-zone faceoffs with the fourth line. Quercia is also a center with size.
          I am going to confuse Willman and Wilmer for the next few months. Thankfully, they won't be at BU at the same time.
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
            I am going to confuse Willman and Wilmer for the next few months. Thankfully, they won't be at BU at the same time.
            And now there won't be any Wise/Weiss confusion.

Among the NCAA's rule changes for this season is allowing teams to dress 19, rather than 18 skaters. Should intensify competition for forwards and Ds fighting for ice time.

Comment

Willman, if healthy can be a top-9 forward. He was a solid player on some bad Brown teams.

As a Senior in 2017-18: Played in nine games before missing the rest of the season due to injury … finished with one goal and four assists for five points … multiple-point game in win over St. Lawrence (11/11) … took 25 shots.

As a Junior in 2016-17: Skated in all 31 games … finished third on the team in goals (11) and points (26) and second in assists (15) … recorded 15 points in ECAC play … tied for the team lead with four power-play goals … set a career high with four assists and five points against Arizona State (12/30) … notched a pair of goals against New Hampshire (1/8) … had four multiple-point games … led the Bears with 97 shots.

As a Sophomore in 2015-16: Played in 29 games … finished with three goals and eight assists for 11 points … notched seven points in conference play … scored the game-winning goal in overtime at Union (11/13) … posted one goal and two assists in a pair of games at Rensselaer in the ECAC First Round … took 64 shots.

As a Freshman in 2014-15: Appeared in 30 games, primarily at wing … also played defense midway through the season due to injuries at the blue line … finished with three points on one goal and two assists … scored his first collegiate goal in the season opener at Army (Oct. 31) … notched assists at Harvard (Nov. 14) and in a win over Princeton (Feb. 20) … finished +2 in the Princeton game … took 39 shots on the season.

Before Brown: Played a postgraduate year at Williston Northampton, where he led the team in scoring with 44 points and 21 goals in 25 contests … named team MVP following the season … Prior to Williston Northampton, Willman paced Barnstable High School in scoring as a junior and senior … named MVP of the MSCHA Shriners All-Star game.

Personal: Born on February 13, 1995 … son of Peyton and Timothy Willman … has one sister, Chase … named Honor Roll All-Scholastic at Barnstable High School … concentrating in business, entrepreneurship and organizations ... hobbies include fishing and road hockey.

Comment

With 71 days until the season begins, Cawlidge Hawkey tweeted some 1971-related info:

Cawlidge Hawkey Ins. @CHInsider

1971 NCAA All-Tournament Team:
                F-Steve Stirling (Boston University)
                F-Don Cahoon (Boston University)
                F-Dean Blais (Minnesota)
                D-Bruce McIntosh (Minnesota)
                D-Bob Brown (Boston University)
                G-Dan Brady (Boston University)
                3 future D1 head coaches in that group and one--Stirling--was an NHL head coach

Cawlidge Hawkey Ins. @CHInsider

1971 point leaders:
                1 Louis Frigon (UNH) 86
                2 Joe Cavanagh (Harvard) 72
                3 Steve Stirling (Boston U) 70
                4 Ray Meyers (Ohio St.) 66
                5 John Danby (Boston U) 64
                6 Rich Pumple (Providence) 63
                7 Bill Munroe (UNH) 60
                8 Bob Brown (Boston U) 60
                9 Mike McShane (UNH) 58

Comment

World Junior Summer Showcase on NHL Network later this week:

https://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/937578

Comment

Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
                    World Junior Summer Showcase on NHL Network later this week:

https://www.usahockey.com/news_article/show/937578
                    Five Terriers on the 42-man preliminary US roster: D-Farrance; F: Cockerill, Farabee, Tkachuk, Wise.
                    https://teamusa.usahockey.com/page/s...l-camp-roster#

Comment

Brady to make his decision in the next couple of weeks.
                      https://www.nhl.com/news/brady-tkach...on/c-299617218
                      ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

I want him to read what Quinn Hughes said in his decision to go back to Michigan.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                          I want him to read what Quinn Hughes said in his decision to go back to Michigan.
                          And remind him that Ottawa is a dumpster fire right now, and he should stay away from it for at least another year.

Comment

From Sunday’s Boston Globe

There are 15 former college hockey players in the Hall of Fame. This list includes two Eagles and 0 Terriers.
                            It Happened!!!!

Comment

Take it for what it's worth:

Jeff Cox

@JeffCoxSports
                              7m7 minutes ago

All indications point to Brady Tkachuk returning to BU for sophomore season unless he completely dominates World Junior Summer Showcase.
                              ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                                Take it for what it's worth:

Jeff Cox

@JeffCoxSports
                                7m7 minutes ago

All indications point to Brady Tkachuk returning to BU for sophomore season unless he completely dominates World Junior Summer Showcase.
                                Exactly. He's known for trying to beat everyone else to break news, even if it ends up in retractions/edits.

Honestly I haven't been too pleased that this decision is taking as long as it is. If he really wanted to be back at BU this season I think he would have already decided so. I sense he would prefer to be in the NHL but is leaving it in Ottawa's hands, testing them to see how badly they want him now, with the Sens perhaps being noncommittal or sending mixed signals to the Tkachuk camp.

One of Tkachuk's best traits (confidence) may also be a liability when it comes to making such a decision. Maybe he's comparing himself to his brother, but they're different players with different bodies at this age -- Matthew was more physically mature and had a more polished skill set at the same age. If he's getting sound advice (which I really hope he is given his support system), returning to BU is better for his long-term career development given the physical and skill maturation he needs at this point. There are far more advantages to returning to BU to grow, mature, potentially dominate, than to hopefully make $925K in entry-level salary next year in Ottawa, get pushed around, playing lots of losing hockey. The $$$ will be there and one more year at BU will likely make him far more NHL-ready than trying to jump into those waters now.

Comment

Working...
                                X