Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
    Exactly. He's known for trying to beat everyone else to break news, even if it ends up in retractions/edits.

Honestly I haven't been too pleased that this decision is taking as long as it is. If he really wanted to be back at BU this season I think he would have already decided so. I sense he would prefer to be in the NHL but is leaving it in Ottawa's hands, testing them to see how badly they want him now, with the Sens perhaps being noncommittal or sending mixed signals to the Tkachuk camp.

One of Tkachuk's best traits (confidence) may also be a liability when it comes to making such a decision. Maybe he's comparing himself to his brother, but they're different players with different bodies at this age -- Matthew was more physically mature and had a more polished skill set at the same age. If he's getting sound advice (which I really hope he is given his support system), returning to BU is better for his long-term career development given the physical and skill maturation he needs at this point. There are far more advantages to returning to BU to grow, mature, potentially dominate, than to hopefully make $925K in entry-level salary next year in Ottawa, get pushed around, playing lots of losing hockey. The $$$ will be there and one more year at BU will likely make him far more NHL-ready than trying to jump into those waters now.
    With absolutely no insider knowledge of the situation, my guess is there's some competing factors leading to the delay - he got drafted by a franchise in horrible position who is looking to trade off their franchise player and looks to be one of the worst teams in the NHL this year and potentially in the near future. Ottawa's a small market team where he can get lost. I'd guess there's competing interests in his head of wanting to be play in the NHL, but understanding it may not be the best move for him, even if Ottawa signed him and assured him he'd be on their roster on day one. He could wait them out a year and see if they tank to get another top pick, then leave and at least have a shot at being on a better roster.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Cox has been pretty accurate with stuff lately. I consider him to be reliable.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
        Cox has been pretty accurate with stuff lately. I consider him to be reliable.
        He has, and to be fair to him he did not say Brady *is* coming back, just that indications are he will.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

In yesterday's games at the WJSS, two goals for Farabee, while Tkachuk and Wise had assists. Today Wise and Farrance were cut from the squad, altho ESPN's Chris Peters' tweeted "Biggest surprise for me based on body of work is Jake Wise..."

The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

First three LWs in US line-up today vs. Sweden: Tkachuk, Farabee, Cockerill
            https://***********/chrismpeters/sta...86584939401217

Comment

At WJSS:

At that recent gathering with season ticket holders and the Friends, Albie cited Cockerill as a sophomore he expected to take a big step up this season. After going scoreless in his first 11 games, Cockerill had 20 points in the next 26. A leading candidate for a top six spot .

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
                He has, and to be fair to him he did not say Brady *is* coming back, just that indications are he will.
                I thought I heard the anouncer on the USA/Canada game say that Brady had signed a pro contract which precludes him returning to college but he has not picked which AHL team to play for?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by meauxmo View Post
                    I thought I heard the anouncer on the USA/Canada game say that Brady had signed a pro contract which precludes him returning to college but he has not picked which AHL team to play for?
                    No, I think you misheard. Craig Button seems to be on the London Knights payroll, as he has said in more than one game now that he thinks the best route is to sign, and then if he doesn't make the Senators, play for London. Until late in the today's game, he wasn't even really mentioning the option of returning to BU - he did finally give props to Albie and Co. His options are:

- Return to BU, skip Senators camp
                    - Sign wit Ottawa, go to camp, and hope he makes the team. If he doesn't, he would either end up in London or with Belleville (Ottawa's AHL affiliate)

It sounds like he wanted to play in this tournament and based on that gauge if he thinks he can make the Senators roster. If he thinks he can, he'll sign. If he doesn't think so, he will return to BU. It sounds like he doesn't want to plan on London or Belleville.
                    BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post

Farabee played a strong game. Outshined his U18 lineman Wahlstrom, IMHO.

Comment

Did Cockerill get hurt? He drew a penalty in the third period and was on the ice on all fours, seemingly not wanting to put weight on his legs. But there was no mention of it, and the camera didn't stay on him long enigh to see. I don't think he played another shift, but that may be due to the game situation.

Comment

Bavis replaces ex-Merrimack coach Mark Dennehy who took the AHL Binghamton Devils job. All three Pittsburgh org head coaches are Terriers: Mike Sullivan, Clark Donatelli at AHL Wilkes Barre, and Bavis.

And Joe Pereira, from the 2009 NC team, gets promoted to Associate Head Coach at UConn.
                          Last edited by Rogie21; 08-08-2018, 09:08 AM.

Comment

With two days to run until Brady shares his decision on his path forward this fall, shall we have a little straw poll (‘stay’ or ‘go’) for some light entertainment?

I’ll start: stay

I believe it’s the best physical and emotional developmental approach and will enhance his long term value and prospects the most. I’m also an optimist and think it would be great for BU if he is with the program for another year.

Comment

Originally posted by OldAlum View Post
                              With two days to run until Brady shares his decision on his path forward this fall, shall we have a little straw poll (‘stay’ or ‘go’) for some light entertainment?

I’ll start: stay

I believe it’s the best physical and emotional developmental approach and will enhance his long term value and prospects the most. I’m also an optimist and think it would be great for BU if he is with the program for another year.
                              I'm inclined to believe he's returning. While he played very well at the World Jr. Summer Showcase, I wouldn't call his performance "dominant". I think he would've already signed w/ OTT if that was the case. I also think the Twitterverse (from north of the border as well as from NHL.com Mike Morreale) would've already leaked speculation about signing by now.

Comment

No clues in his NHL Network interview last night.
                                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGHNSiASOw0

Comment

Working...
                                X