Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
    I got no such email, neither did anyone I know of, nor did any of the student social media accounts mention it. If it was meant to be sent to all of those groups, the message did not get sent. I would've loved to go.
    I didn't get one either. And given my role on the Board (when we had one) and a former Coach's Cabinet member and FOH supporter, I'm kind of surprised I had to chase it down.

Midnight Madness was always the first practice. I don't think anyone has those anymore. I agree they could use this scrimmage idea to replace it but I'm sure there's some stupid NCAA regulation against it. Or not. Who knows. I miss those days. I going to have one of those t-shirt quilts made from all my Midnight Madness t-shirts.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
      I didn't get one either. And given my role on the Board (when we had one) and a former Coach's Cabinet member and FOH supporter, I'm kind of surprised I had to chase it down.

Midnight Madness was always the first practice. I don't think anyone has those anymore. I agree they could use this scrimmage idea to replace it but I'm sure there's some stupid NCAA regulation against it. Or not. Who knows. I miss those days. I going to have one of those t-shirt quilts made from all my Midnight Madness t-shirts.
      It seems to me that (excluding this season) the first game of the season has been getting closer and closer to the first day of practice the past 10 years or so, which made Midnight Madness kind of impossible. With the slower schedule this year, I guess I was thinking (hoping) they brought something similar back.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
        I got no such email, neither did anyone I know of, nor did any of the student social media accounts mention it. If it was meant to be sent to all of those groups, the message did not get sent. I would've loved to go.

Also, in a practice scrimmage it's unlikely players are skating at 100% speed. No one wants to risk injury in what was likely a fairly casual thing more intended for fan enjoyment than meaningful practice.
        Mookie got an invite

Couldn’t make it
        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
          It seems to me that (excluding this season) the first game of the season has been getting closer and closer to the first day of practice the past 10 years or so, which made Midnight Madness kind of impossible. With the slower schedule this year, I guess I was thinking (hoping) they brought something similar back.
          While the team is allowed to take the ice earlier than in the past, the number of hours are capped to not very many, so I think the coaches don't think they can afford to use 1 to 1.5 hours for a pep rally (assuming it would be the "first" practice the way those Midnight Madness events were.

Those were fun events, but you could hear the angst in Parker's voice but he second or third year (I feel like they only did it a few times).
          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
            Thanks, Bomber. Forgot about Amonte, so there are four prior to Eichel. Drury was captain of both the Rangers and Sabres. Tkachuk also captained the Blues. Shawn McEachern led the Atlanta Thrashers for two seasons.
            Make it six Terriers wearing the C in the NHL. Rick Meagher, St. Louis. Tkachuk was not a St.L captain, but was for Winnipeg and Arizona.
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Saw Tkachuk didn’t dress. Did he make the OTT roster?

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                Saw Tkachuk didn’t dress. Did he make the OTT roster?
                He's listed on their roster on their website.

Comment

He's injured.

Comment

Originally posted by BU Fan 84 View Post
                    After I posted, I saw a picture on Twitter. It showed one solitary guy in the stands, eating a tub of popcorn. It seemed a little sad. I would've expected more people to come out; I guess I assumed it was open to students (even though the email I got didn't mention students at all) and it was going to replace the old Midnight Mania thing we used to do.
                    I was at the women's home opener tonight and they had flyers out for BU Hockey Hysteria to be held to Agganis Arena on Tuesday, 23 October, with the doors opening at 9 PM. It appears both teams will be there and prizes will be given out, including a razor scooter, BU hockey jersey and gift cards.

Sean
                    Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                    Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                    BU Hockey highlights and extras
                    NCAA Hockey Financials
                    Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                    I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Anyone at last night’s game that can report on what they observed? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by srsterrier View Post
                        Anyone at last night’s game that can report on what they observed? Thanks.
                        I went to the game. Lightly attended, natch, though there was a decent student section. It's always a bit difficult getting used to the new players/numbers. A couple of random observations:
                        - Blixt is larger but it isn't clear whether he has the coordination at the college level pace.
                        - Amonte didn't play
                        - Farabee looked very skilled and had an absolute snipe later in the game (he drew a defenseman towards him in the right circle and snapped off a shot through the legs of the defender and into the top far corner, Matthews style).
                        - Glad to have Harper back. I have lofty ambitions that he can improve into the pantheon of NHL skilled small guys (naming those would start a flame fest at this point), but last season's injuries left his trajectory as an unknown.
                        - Noticed Saturday that it takes Carpenter a while to get his shot off. Many of the modern players have a snappier/quicker release that is essential at the NHL level.
                        - Quercia scored in the first period from inside his own blue line. A blooper that changed direction when bouncing towards the net. Felt a little badly for the goaltender.
                        - Defensive zone coverage looked good, but it is difficult to translate between this game and a more competitive opponent.
                        "What about my asthma?"
                        "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
                          I went to the game. Lightly attended, natch, though there was a decent student section. It's always a bit difficult getting used to the new players/numbers. A couple of random observations:
                          - Blixt is larger but it isn't clear whether he has the coordination at the college level pace.
                          - Amonte didn't play
                          - Farabee looked very skilled and had an absolute snipe later in the game (he drew a defenseman towards him in the right circle and snapped off a shot through the legs of the defender and into the top far corner, Matthews style).
                          - Glad to have Harper back. I have lofty ambitions that he can improve into the pantheon of NHL skilled small guys (naming those would start a flame fest at this point), but last season's injuries left his trajectory as an unknown.
                          - Noticed Saturday that it takes Carpenter a while to get his shot off. Many of the modern players have a snappier/quicker release that is essential at the NHL level.
                          - Quercia scored in the first period from inside his own blue line. A blooper that changed direction when bouncing towards the net. Felt a little badly for the goaltender.
                          - Defensive zone coverage looked good, but it is difficult to translate between this game and a more competitive opponent.
                          Krys also didn't play - I think him and Amonte sitting had more to do with getting the freshmen an opportunity to compete for a spot than anything else.

Definitely agree on Harper, the big question is going to be whether he was able to regain his physical condition. If you saw him on the ice last year after winning the HE Tournament, he looked like a stick figure - he'd clearly lost a significant amount of weight. Whether he was able to rebuild lost muscle/body mass will play a big role in his trajectory.
                          ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

- Blixt stood out, but not in a good way. Needs to get his lower body moving in same direction as upper body.
                            - Hard to tell given the competition, but looks like there is some serious speed throughout the lineup.
                            - Team could do worse than to follow Curry’s example. Always moving and hustling. Hoping for a real nice year for him.
                            - Smails mentioned, but Farabee’s snipe was ridiculous.

- Meatball Factory. Don’t do it. Just, no.
                            - Concessions still working out this “credit/debit card” concept.
                            - Looks Ike they are revamping the BU players in the pros wall. Just a bunch of large empty frames. Guessing they ran out of room for continued individual plaques?
                            - Similarly, security working out the idea of a metal detector. They had me hold metal objects in my hands as I passed through detector. Shockingly, the alarm sounded. Confusion ensued.
                            Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                              Smails mentioned, but Farabee’s snipe was ridiculous.
                              BU Oldtimer offered his thoughts on the exhibition for The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog, but didn't stay for the third period, so missed Farabee's goal.
                              In his post-game interview, Albie praised Wise, Cheremeta and Quercia, among the newcomers
                              The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                                - Similarly, security working out the idea of a metal detector. They had me hold metal objects in my hands as I passed through detector. Shockingly, the alarm sounded. Confusion ensued.
                                at least we know they work

Comment

Working...
                                X