Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

I went last year and this year and here are my takeaways:
    1. It is excellent to see this level of talent on the ice at one time. Both line-ups were fun to watch.
    2. I'm shocked that it isn't a sell-out, but I totally agree that it isn't advertised nearly as much as it could be.
    3. It sucks that $5 of the $15 that I pay for the tickets goes to ticketmaster rather than the benefit.
    4. Given that this is a benefit and both sides are contributing their time, I don't think this should be a BU-sided event just because it is in our barn. By that, I mean that our band shouldn't be playing only our fight song and yelling 'sieve' at a BC-goalie who is there for a freakin' charity. The 10 goal count down was ridiculous as well.
    5. The BC veterans were giving Donato a pretty hard time as there was a bit of stick work and other physicality. It was hard to tell whether this was a rookie thing or something else. It didn't seem 100% good-natured from my vantage point.
    6. It is an obvious balancing act by the players to want to win and score without looking like a hard-o.
    "What about my asthma?"
    "Where'd you come from - a scotch ad?"

Comment

• Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
      I went last year and this year and here are my takeaways:
      1. It is excellent to see this level of talent on the ice at one time. Both line-ups were fun to watch.
      2. I'm shocked that it isn't a sell-out, but I totally agree that it isn't advertised nearly as much as it could be.
      3. It sucks that $5 of the $15 that I pay for the tickets goes to ticketmaster rather than the benefit.
      4. Given that this is a benefit and both sides are contributing their time, I don't think this should be a BU-sided event just because it is in our barn. By that, I mean that our band shouldn't be playing only our fight song and yelling 'sieve' at a BC-goalie who is there for a freakin' charity. The 10 goal count down was ridiculous as well.
      5. The BC veterans were giving Donato a pretty hard time as there was a bit of stick work and other physicality. It was hard to tell whether this was a rookie thing or something else. It didn't seem 100% good-natured from my vantage point.
      6. It is an obvious balancing act by the players to want to win and score without looking like a hard-o.
      3. Did Ticketmaster somehow get $5 even though we bought tickets at Agganis box office for $15? I specifically went to HAA to avoid a $6 Ticketmaster fee. F Ticketmaster in either case.
      4. Couldn’t agree more. Maybe get the BC band there? Or BU could play a couple BC ditties- seven nation army or whatever. Just get a clue.

7. I’m sure it’s a pia to gather, but it would have been nice to see some more swag for the auction and raffle. For instance, could BU Hockey do no better than four tickets to Arizona State? Or how about Eichel bringing a few boxes of his t shirts and caps? https://www.jeichel15.com
      Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by SpauldingSmails View Post
        The PA guy was the BC guy and the pregame hosts were all former BC players so it's not like this was entirely a BU home game. If BC didn't want to bring their band, or didn't have the folks available, that's not BU's fault. I'd be shocked if BU turned them down in any regard. I really couldn't care less about sieve chants, it's a harmless word.
        ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

This is, in my opinion, BC's event. And it's a great one. It's just held in WBA because I don't think there is ice at Conte. The BC band has participated in the past so no band this year - who knows? Maybe the move to August? Are they prepping for football season? Possible. I think it would be way more fun with both bands.

I agree about the auction/raffle items. Again, the organizers are BC peeps so it makes sense to get more from them. I don't know if there is a BU counterpart to help plan and secure the items.

Comment

@Buccigross
            #CawlidgeHawkey PreSeptember Top 16
            1 Minnesota-Duluth
            2 Michigan
            3 Ohio State
            4 Providence
            5 Princeton
            6 Boston University
            7 Western Michigan
            8 St. Cloud
            9 Penn St
            10 Notre Dame
            11 Clarkson
            12 NDakota
            13 Minnesota St
            14 UMass
            15 Union
            16 BC

Bucci ranked the Terriers a bit higher than one would expect with Tkachuk's departure. But Princeton #5 and BC #16
            The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Rogie21 View Post
              @Buccigross
              1 Minnesota-Duluth
              2 Michigan
              3 Ohio State
              4 Providence
              5 Princeton
              6 Boston University
              7 Western Michigan
              8 St. Cloud
              9 Penn St
              10 Notre Dame
              11 Clarkson
              12 NDakota
              13 Minnesota St
              14 UMass
              15 Union
              16 BC

Bucci ranked the Terriers a bit higher than one would expect with Tkachuk's departure. But Princeton #5 and BC #16
              Bucci likes star power, and had 2, count them 2 Princeton players among his Hobey favorites.
              BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                Bucci likes star power, and had 2, count them 2 Princeton players among his Hobey favorites.
                He's got a point. Verroneau and Ruffner are the two highest scorers returning this season.
                The Terrier Hockey Fan Blog

Comment

I think he simply picked teams out of a hat based on those rankings

Comment

@Buccigross
                    1 Minnesota-Duluth
                    2 Michigan
                    3 Ohio State
                    4 Providence
                    5 Princeton
                    6 Boston University
                    7 Western Michigan
                    8 St. Cloud
                    9 Penn St
                    10 Notre Dame
                    11 Clarkson
                    12 NDakota
                    13 Minnesota St
                    14 UMass
                    15 Union
                    16 BC

Makes me wonder if he forgot to put "Lowell" at the end of UMass at 14.
                    Originally posted by Greg Ambrose on 3/7/2010
                    The fact that you BC fans revel in the superiority of your team in an admittedly weak league leads me to believe you will be more sorely disappointed when the end comes than we will.

Comment

@Buccigross
                      1 Minnesota-Duluth
                      2 Michigan
                      3 Ohio State
                      4 Providence
                      5 Princeton
                      6 Boston University
                      7 Western Michigan
                      8 St. Cloud
                      9 Penn St
                      10 Notre Dame
                      11 Clarkson
                      12 NDakota
                      13 Minnesota St
                      14 UMass
                      15 Union
                      16 BC

What a waste of time! If 4 teams wind up where he forecast, the man is a genius! He would be better off ranking or grading the teams' prospects A-F .

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                        This is, in my opinion, BC's event. And it's a great one. It's just held in WBA because I don't think there is ice at Conte. The BC band has participated in the past so no band this year - who knows? Maybe the move to August? Are they prepping for football season? Possible. I think it would be way more fun with both bands.

I agree about the auction/raffle items. Again, the organizers are BC peeps so it makes sense to get more from them. I don't know if there is a BU counterpart to help plan and secure the items.
                        all great suggestions above. I bet Jarmond is paying attention.

Comment

@Buccigross
                          1 Minnesota-Duluth
                          2 Michigan
                          3 Ohio State
                          4 Providence
                          5 Princeton
                          6 Boston University
                          7 Western Michigan
                          8 St. Cloud
                          9 Penn St
                          10 Notre Dame
                          11 Clarkson
                          12 NDakota
                          13 Minnesota St
                          14 UMass
                          15 Union
                          16 BC

or Princeton #5 and BU #6 ?

Comment

• Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                            I believe he was there!

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                              They can alternate each year from BU to BC rink for this event but not sure if Friday nights are good. Maybe Saturday is better to avoid traffic on Fridays.
                              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Originally posted by sterlippo1 View Post
                                or Princeton #5 and BU #6 ?
                                At this point, who cares ? BC was out of the NCAA 2 years in a row and starting slow can be a good thing.

No pressure if you start low and build it up if they demonstrate progress from last year.

It's hard to tell with all the new talent coming even if projected to be a good class.
                                NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Working...
                                X