Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: BU offseason thread - this begs some questions!

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Do you think that team is better or worse than last year?
    Unclear. Talent top to bottom, probably a tad behind. Don't forget last year's team was very overrated in preseason rankings, which then lead to unreasonable expectations. Their eventual finish - HE title, regional final loss - is right around where most who honestly evaluated the roster would've expected. The path to that result was certainly unexpected though.

But the answer depends on a few questions:

- Does Oettinger have another semester-plus stretch of inconsistent play?
    - Is Harper able to return to full form an be an elite forward?
    - Do Bowers and Cockerill take steps forward toward becoming elite forwards?
    - Do Fabbro and Krys take steps foward toward becoming elite D and leaders of the team?
    - Are Curry, Chabot, Amonte, and others able to provide a reasonable scoring threat on the 3rd and 4th lines?
    - Are Farabee and Wise as good as advertised and able to step in and contribute immediately?
    Last edited by brassbonanza; 08-15-2018, 12:45 PM.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Comment

Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post
      Unclear. Talent top to bottom, probably a tad behind. Don't forget last year's team was very overrated in preseason rankings, which then lead to unreasonable expectations. Their eventual finish - HE title, regional final loss - is right around where most who honestly evaluated the roster would've expected. The path to that result was certainly unexpected though.

- Do Fabbro and Krys take steps foward toward becoming elite D and leaders of the team?
      - Are Curry, Chabot, Amonte, and others able to provide a reasonable scoring threat on the 3rd and 4th lines?
      - Are Farabee and Wise as good as advertised and able to step in and contribute immediately?

With the current roster, the team should still be good enough to finish top-4 in HE, get to the Garden, and make the NCAAs. Prior to the coaching change and roster attrition (Crone, Tkachuk, Tironese), I thought this year's BU team based on what was known at the time was on the short list of Frozen Four favorites.

Comment

• Originally posted by brassbonanza View Post

All good questions and I think it’s also worth noting that Hockey East should be a stronger conference this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by J.D. View Post
          Do you think that team is better or worse than last year?
          Depends on d and g

Hey were spotty last season, a bit of a drop from the year before. If they step it up the team can be better (2-1 final scores perhaps? )
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
            Depends on d and g

Hey were spotty last season, a bit of a drop from the year before. If they step it up the team can be better (2-1 final scores perhaps? )
            Oettinger was disappointing 1st half of last season. He's the team's most important player by far and as with last season, the team's success will hinge on his performance.

The D didn't necessary help Oettinger at times last season. I thought Hickey had a sub-par year and the other Senior D (MacLeod, Diffley) had minimal impact on the team. I think what may be even more important than Fabbro and Krys' stepping up is how much the Sophomore D improve.

Comment

Originally posted by Friend_of_BU_Hockey View Post
              Oettinger was disappointing 1st half of last season. He's the team's most important player by far and as with last season, the team's success will hinge on his performance.

The D didn't necessary help Oettinger at times last season. I thought Hickey had a sub-par year and the other Senior D (MacLeod, Diffley) had minimal impact on the team. I think what may be even more important than Fabbro and Krys' stepping up is how much the Sophomore D improve.
              I am curious who our 6th d-man will be.

Comment

I agree the team can't afford to have an "off" semester by Oettinger. And I would guess for his confidence and in his mind justifying his first round status, he knows he needs to play solid all year long. Dallas signed Colton Point who had much better numbers at Colgate last year than Jake did.
                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Are tickets for the Comm Ave Classic typically available at the door? tia
                  Go BU!

Comment

Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                    Best username all time.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoughEmUp View Post
                      They have been in the past.

Comment

8:49 to go in the second period at the Comm Ave Classic. BU leads BC 4-1. All goals scored by our hired guns - Ryan Donato with the hat trick and Adam Gaudette with one. Ha! I’m sure our Northeastern friends are probably horrified that their Hobey Winner is sporting a Terrier Jersey.

Comment

BU with hired guns against Joe Pearce and Chris Venti? Stop the fight...

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                            8:Ha! I’m sure our Northeastern friends are probably horrified that their Tobey Winner is sporting a Terrier Jersey.
                            No problem. Adam was wearing an NU Hockey t-shirt under his uni sweater. Osmosis thwarted!

Comment

I was thinking of going but on Friday night driving into rush hour traffic deterred me. Better and on a Saturday night.
                              NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

Traffic was actually not that bad, even with the residual mess from the Comm Ave bridge replacement. I was a bit worried about that.

This is such a fun event. I’m surprised there wasn’t more media coverage. And that’s no fault of the organizers. It’s very well run. Decent crowd. It was bigger in other years but I think maybe the date deterred folks.

Comment

Working...
                                X