• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D-Day 74 years on

CBS radio, as it happened.

https://archive.org/details/CBD440606CBSDDayCBS
    CCT '77 & '78
    4 kids
    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Re: D-Day 74 years on

Thanks for posting this!

On a related note it was such a bummer to hear Don Mularkey passed away last year.
    Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Holy ****. Yes, thank you.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

bump
        CCT '77 & '78
        4 kids
        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Bletchley Park Twitter is posting decoded Enigma messages from the German navy in time with the events of D-Day.
          Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: There's No Use Trying To Talk. No Human Sound Can Stand Up To This. Loud Enough To Knock You Down.

Comment

There have been some interesting Nat Geo shows about Dday in the last few days. I expect more tonight.

Also, there's a cool Youtube channel that is going day by day of WWII, but 79 years off. So right now, they are just in the middle of the invasion of France of 1940. Very interesting to watch.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              There have been some interesting Nat Geo shows about Dday in the last few days. I expect more tonight.

Also, there's a cool Youtube channel that is going day by day of WWII, but 79 years off. So right now, they are just in the middle of the invasion of France of 1940. Very interesting to watch.
              Thanks for those recommendations. I never had a lot of interest in WWII until the last few years.
              Originally posted by BobbyBrady
              Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                Thanks for those recommendations. I never had a lot of interest in WWII until the last few years.
                This is the channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP1...DA7jYkZAELRhHQ

They also have one for WWI and in between the wars. One of these days I want to see some stuff about the Spanish Civil War. But the WWII part will be interesting enough.

And it's really good to go through it week by week- as you get a totally different perspective of the war. The "whys" of the total loss of the French is really interesting. Moreso when you see the better explanation of the Maginot line.

But it will take another 4 years to get back to D-Day with their coverage.

Comment

If you enjoy WWII history, you can follow @WW2Facts and @WWIIpix on Twitter. I have seen lots of picture I had not seen before and I thought I had seen them all, LOL. Some of them rock you to the core like German paratroopers executing citizens on Crete for attacking them as they landed. That happened more than we know overall but to see it happening was brutal.
                  Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                  ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                  Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                  "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                  Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Russia says, "Don't forget about AHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHERLAND!!!!!11!!!" Quickly gets pimpslapped by Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                      Russia says, "Don't forget about AHHHHHHHHHHH MOTHERLAND!!!!!11!!!" Quickly gets pimpslapped by Twitter.

I do believe that the Russian offensive causalities dwarfed the Allies' western front casualties from the same period (D Day to end).

If the D Day landings had failed, could Russia have fought their was single handedly to the English Channel before the rest of the Allies had rebuilt strength for another attempt? I saw a historian yesterday say another invasion attempt could not have taken place until 45 or more than likely 46.
                      Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                      Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                      Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                      "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                      Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
                        I do believe that the Russian offensive causalities dwarfed the Allies' western front casualties from the same period (D Day to end).

If the D Day landings had failed, could Russia have fought their was single handedly to the English Channel before the rest of the Allies had rebuilt strength for another attempt? I saw a historian yesterday say another invasion attempt could not have taken place until 45 or more than likely 46.
                        False narrative. It wouldn't have been single-handed. My uncle and several thousand of his colleagues were coming north up Italy at the time. Granted Overlord made their eventual breakout into France easier, but they still would have made it.

In this alternate history there never would have been a second D-Day landing because the Atlantic Wall would have been taken from the rear. The Iron Curtain would have replaced the Maginot Line instead of splitting Germany.

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post
                          False narrative. It wouldn't have been single-handed. My uncle and several thousand of his colleagues were coming north up Italy at the time. Granted Overlord made their eventual breakout into France easier, but they still would have made it.

In this alternate history there never would have been a second D-Day landing because the Atlantic Wall would have been taken from the rear. The Iron Curtain would have replaced the Maginot Line instead of splitting Germany.
                          Stalin also most likely would've succeeded at creating an Austrian SSR.

No one denies the Red Army shed the most blood. Entire villages were wiped out. But to say Russia did it alone is completely false, and obviously trollish/agitprop behavior towards the West on D-Day.

Comment

The letter from Colbert's uncle he read on the show yesterday was incredible.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 06-07-2019, 11:11 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ticapnews View Post

Although the tweet is trolling it's substantially right, although misleading. The "game changer" in the war was the failure of Operation Barbarossa. That was a combination of Russian heroism and Hitler's meddling.

The US stopped the war from dragging on another 2-3 years, and of course that also puts German atomic weapons into play. But the Russians stopped the Germans from winning the war, and paid the price for it.

Also, it is true that Churchill cautioned FDR from opening up the western front too quickly. He liked it just fine that the Nazis and Communists were bleeding each other to death. That's how the game is played. We were already setting up the board for the next game. We attacked when we did because the Russians were rolling the Germans back and we were worried about Russian occupation of Central Europe. The Russians did the same thing to us by opening up a front against Japan right at the closing bell.

Again: that is how the game is played.
                              Cornell University
                              National Champion 1967, 1970
                              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                              X