X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by unofan View Post
    Public unions gutted. 5-4.
    Look for the GOP Congress to pass national right to work and that’s it for unions in this country.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
      Public unions gutted. 5-4.
      ****!

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
        Look for the GOP Congress to pass national right to work and that’s it for unions in this country.
        Double ****!

“Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

I wouldn't say that. My brother and his business partner, for instance, far prefer dealing with the plumbers union when it comes to hiring and payroll issues. They both worked for a non-union shop before owning a company, and they mostly enjoy working with the union. There's not a lot of hassle in jockeying for pay rates and annual vacation time with their employees. It's all there in the contract.
          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post

One of the questions I plan to ask the MD legislative candidates this fall is their position on the gerrymander. If they think it's no big deal, they will not get my vote.
            As if you don’t already know you are voting “R”.

Comment

I don't know that we'll necessarily see that result.

First, I don't think federal employee unions have a "fair share" fee. I think if you're in the union you pay dues, if not, you don't. Yet I think there are still a lot of unionized federal employees.

Second, union organizing has always just been about numbers. Unions are a business. The Teamsters aren't going to go in and organize a place with three employees, even if the fair share fee was still legal. The Teamsters can't afford to spend the time and money negotiating and arbitrating on behalf of three employees.

That's the reason that you really don't see any sort of organizing effort unless you maybe have 40 or 50 employees, or more. They have to have a certain number to cover the costs of doing the work.

This decision will just require the unions to re-evaluate what sort of "minimum" number of employees have to be in the work place before they try to organize. I imagine that we'll soon see data to the effect that maybe 30-40% of employees will choose to join the union and pay dues, even if they are not forced to.

Thus, if before a union organizer needed 50 employees to make it worth its while to organize, now it might need 80 or a hundred.

But that's the thing about public employment. There are a lot of employees.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                I nearly always voted Democratic for 20 years before finally accepting that, boringly, I'm a Democrat. It is very important to a certain personality type (mine) to think of oneself as independent and rationally considering one's options for each office at each election.

The truth, however, is that our options under our two party system are so impoverished we will never see a candidate of the opposing party in our lifetime who is good enough to overcome the horror of the rest of that party's agenda. I will literally never vote R in my lifetime, because even if I find someone I think would be a fine office holder I will never willingly do anything to strengthen that party. They are pure scum and I will never help them -- I will not even help them change, except by denying them oxygen.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  I nearly always voted Democratic for 20 years before finally accepting that, boringly, I'm a Democrat. It is very important to a certain personality type (mine) to think of oneself as independent and rationally considering one's options for each office at each election.

The truth, however, is that our options under our two party system are so impoverished we will never see a candidate of the opposing party in our lifetime who is good enough to overcome the horror of the rest of that party's agenda. I will literally never vote R in my lifetime, because even if I find someone I think would be a fine office holder I will never willingly do anything to strengthen that party. They are pure scum and I will never help them -- I will not even help them change, except by denying them oxygen.
                  Yup. Remember this well kids. The worst Democrat is better than the best Republican. Joe Manchin voted against tax theft for billionaires. Susan Collins voted for it. Andrew Cuomo enacted free college tuition and public universities. I'm not aware of anything like that from Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan.
                  Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

"I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

Comment

• Originally posted by ericredaxe View Post
                    I actually had a chat with one of my state legislaturalists yesterday (they are all D if you wanted to know) after the primary. I had two concerns
                    1. Amazon. Where are the schools going to be built and who is going to pay for them? His answer was politically vague saying they had money set aside (unspoken is where it is coming from).
                    2. Gerrymander. He thinks the courts will decide it. Of course you do! Punt the hard choices to somebody else. What I told him was he faces the judgment of the voters every 4 years. Judges do not. He did agree that an independent commission would probably be the best idea. He struck me as someone who is centrist D.

Will he get my vote? Depends on who his opponent is. But it is not a firm no.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Kennedy retiring...

Comment

Breaking News: Anthony Kennedy is retiring from the Supreme Court. He was often the swing vote, and President Trump can now move the court to the right.
                        Trump gets another Thomas. You can kiss liberalism in this country goodbye.
                        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                          Kennedy retiring...
                          This is genuinely horrible.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            Kennedy retiring...

Comment

The odds on the nominee being sworn in by the first Monday in October?
                              CCT '77 & '78
                              4 kids
                              5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                              1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                              - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

We are all screwed now...
                                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X