X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    You guys are the ones being obtuse. Since Roe v Wade was decided, all I've ever heard is that it's going to be overturned.

It's not going to be overturned. I've posted before that I'm 100% pro choice and there isn't a sliver of my body that is worried about Roe getting overturned. It's settled law in this country and they're not going to affirm a state statute that outlaws abortion.

It's the same reason we're not going back on issues like segregation, gay marriage, warrantless searches, etc...

Will there be nibbling around the edges of those decisions? Of course. That will always happen. We continue to nibble around the edges of when police do and do not need a warrant even though Mapp was decided years before Roe.

Scooby keeps asking why Dem voters don't care about the Court. The reason, I maintain, is this constant sky is falling shtick you guys fall back on, but just never seems to come to fruition.
    Well this is the test isnt it. If they have a massive advantage no one will be able to stop them. They have promised this forever if it doesnt happen now it never will. Now maybe you are good in thinking it wont happen but I would rather freak out now and be wrong than assume everything will be fine and freak out later.

I always used to say this would never happen because the GOP would lose their big fundraiser...but this is the first real opportunity it could happen in my lifetime. All it takes is the right case that gives them the right opportunity and we will know the truth either way.

And if the Dem voters shot themselves in the face because of the "sky is falling crap" then they deserve everything they get. You know who doesnt get turned off with "sky is falling" the GOP voters. That is why every Dem wants free and open borders, wants to steal their guns and ban Christmas. And funny...one side wins and one side loses...consistently.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      And if the Dem voters shot themselves in the face because of the "sky is falling crap" then they deserve everything they get. You know who doesnt get turned off with "sky is falling" the GOP voters. That is why every Dem wants free and open borders, wants to steal their guns and ban Christmas. And funny...one side wins and one side loses...consistently.
      Hovey's a smart guy. Why the double standard? I don't get it. Conservatives get to do this all the time.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
        Hovey's a smart guy. Why the double standard? I don't get it. Conservatives get to do this all the time.
        I'm not saying you don't get to do it, and you guys are certainly correct that the GOP has used fear to increase voter turn out. It's just that the doomsday scenarios sometimes painted by the Dems don't really have much chance of actually coming true. It would be like if the GOP started placing ads claiming that if the Dems are elected there will be a 100% tax rate on income. Obviously that isn't going to happen. You have to threaten a scenario that at least plausibly may occur.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          You'd have to be really stupid to think certain states won't try and ban abortion and that it's unlikely to get upheld.

I'm not saying you don't get to do it, and you guys are certainly correct that the GOP has used fear to increase voter turn out. It's just that the doomsday scenarios sometimes painted by the Dems don't really have much chance of actually coming true. It would be like if the GOP started placing ads claiming that if the Dems are elected there will be a 100% tax rate on income. Obviously that isn't going to happen. You have to threaten a scenario that at least plausibly may occur.
          You're talking about a party of troglodytes who said Obama was going to put people in death camps.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            You're talking about a party of troglodytes who said Obama was going to put people in death camps.
            Apparently that can come true, while abortion becoming illegal cannot.
            **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
            Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Well they were right...just had the wrong President Of wait they arent death camps...or anything bad they are SUMMER CAMPS!!
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

So the endless promises from Rs to overturn Roe v Wade is incredibly unlikely to be true and Ds are running around like a bunch of cry babies for taking them at their words? But there is some incredibly sound logic in thinking that when the Ds say they want to expand health care coverage they actually mean they are implementing death panels? GTFO

Comment

Well they were right...just had the wrong President Of wait they arent death camps...or anything bad they are SUMMER CAMPS!!
                  Well it's ok when you do it to brown people.

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                  So the endless promises from Rs to overturn Roe v Wade is incredibly unlikely to be true and Ds are running around like a bunch of cry babies for taking them at their words? But there is some incredibly sound logic in thinking that when the Ds say they want to expand health care coverage they actually mean they are implementing death panels? GTFO
                  "Trump is gonna become more presidential and less racist/radical when he gets into office just you wait guys calm down nothing to see here!"

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    @LACaldwellDC: On Kavanaugh pick

Kennedy and Trump/WH had been in negotiations for months over Kennedy’s replacement. Once Kennedy received assurances that it would be Kavanaugh, his former law clerk, Kennedy felt comfortable retiring, according to a source who was told of the discussions.
                    The more I think about this the more it bothers me. So Kennedy is trying to cut a deal with Trump over his replacement all while voting on things that Trump has an interest in like the Muslim ban? That seem a little off to anyone else?
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The more I think about this the more it bothers me. So Kennedy is trying to cut a deal with Trump over his replacement all while voting on things that Trump has an interest in like the Muslim ban? That seem a little off to anyone else?
                      She walked back that tweet.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                        God, you're frightened.

Why?
                        Because I don’t want “God” and the Bible to be the leading influence on our laws.

Comment

She walked back that tweet.
                          I don't see how that would work anyway. No one is named until a Justice quits, and once they quit they have as much political power as you or I do. There is nothing at all to do to enforce any sort of agreement. That's not a "deal" that could be made as far as I can see.
                          Originally posted by WiscTJK
                          I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                          Originally posted by Timothy A
                          Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Or like if the GOP started trying to convince its voters that the Dems were going to take their guns?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
                              I don't see how that would work anyway. No one is named until a Justice quits, and once they quit they have as much political power as you or I do. There is nothing at all to do to enforce any sort of agreement. That's not a "deal" that could be made as far as I can see.
                              So you're telling me that you can't possibly see any way that a guy who considers himself the ultimate deal maker could have made a deal. GTFO

Comment

• Originally posted by GrinCDXX View Post
                                Or like if the GOP started trying to convince its voters that the Dems were going to take their guns?
                                Still waiting for Obama to knock on my door...
                                “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Working...
                                X