Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 229

Thread: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

  1. #41
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    67,169

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    A problem...yes. That doesnt mean you can arbitrarily tell them they now CANT vote. (which is what purging the rolls does)

    Not voting is a choice...not being able to vote pretty much goes against everything we stand for in this country.

    But please just keep "asking the question" maybe one day you will lose your right to vote and then you will actually care.

    But hey let me "just ask a question" does it not seem odd that the only place this seems to be a problem is in districts where GOPers want less Dem voters? Must be a coincidence. The fact it often happens in minority neighborhoods is just another coincidence I am sure. Who needs Civil Rights anyways?
    Don't vote, never vote. Works for me. Maybe we need new law although the current Court pretty much enacted it today. Go Supreme's.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  2. #42
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,552
    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    They could have moved or died. Declining to vote is a failure of civic duty. Isn't declining to vote for *6 years* a problem?
    Not one that demands you be removed from a list of eligible voters.

    Again, every "solution" to the all but non existent voter fraud problem hurts more eligible voters than prevention of any fraud.
    Last edited by unofan; 06-11-2018 at 02:09 PM.

  3. #43
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    14,905

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  4. #44
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    67,169

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
    Hey, if you Democrats weren't for killing babies, giving Homo's rights, and taking away our guns we'd probably vote for you. But since, you are we'll vote for Turtle Boy and anyone like him.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  5. #45
    The Dark One
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    killin your brain like a poisonous mushroom
    Posts
    14,905

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Hey, if you Democrats weren't for killing babies, giving Homo's rights, and taking away our guns we'd probably vote for you. But since, you are we'll vote for Turtle Boy and anyone like him.
    Works for me. If people feel that there was no difference between the parties over the last 3 elections I feel no responsibility to do anything for them. 50 years ago blacks were beaten and blasted with fire hoses while trying to win the right to register and vote freely. That's the ultimate "jumping through hoops" to exercise your constitutional right. The GOP has been open, transparent, and surprisingly honest about exactly what they're up to here. The funny thing is the people on the losing end have basically sat on the sidelines and watched it all unfold before their eyes, yet still don't feel the need to do anything about it.
    Legally drunk???? If its "legal", what's the ------- problem?!? - George Carlin

    Ever notice how everybody who drives slower than you is an idiot, and everybody who drives faster is a maniac? - George Carlin

    "I've never seen so much reason and bullsh*t contained in ONE MAN."

  6. #46
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    67,169

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    Works for me. If people feel that there was no difference between the parties over the last 3 elections I feel no responsibility to do anything for them. 50 years ago blacks were beaten and blasted with fire hoses while trying to win the right to register and vote freely. That's the ultimate "jumping through hoops" to exercise your constitutional right. The GOP has been open, transparent, and surprisingly honest about exactly what they're up to here. The funny thing is the people on the losing end have basically sat on the sidelines and watched it all unfold before their eyes, yet still don't feel the need to do anything about it.
    Dinesh D'Souza vehemently disagrees with you. As he lays out in his new book

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZP16X7...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

    the left is at fault for all of it.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  7. #47

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,206

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
    If Taco Bell can't sell their Sh-t Chalupa they take it off the menu. They don't whine for years afterwards how their customers failed them.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,373

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    You dont allow for people to lose their rights to prove a point.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  9. #49
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    So I'll ask again, if people keep taking it the shorts for sitting out the 2016 election, I'm supposed to be upset.....why, again? I mean, its not like you couldn't have seen this coming from outer space or anything.
    Because these things make it harder for our side to win otherwise the republicans wouldnít be doing it.

    If there was ever evidence that some people care far more about their team losing than the actual bad things the republicans are doing this is it.

  10. #50
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,552

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Dinesh D'Souza vehemently disagrees with you. As he lays out in his new book

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076ZP16X7...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

    the left is at fault for all of it.
    That's convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza.

  11. #51
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    67,169

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by unofan View Post
    That's convicted felon Dinesh D'Souza.
    Trump erased all that. It's gone. Poof.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Indialantic, FL
    Posts
    7,965

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    You dont allow for people to lose their rights to prove a point.
    Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

    Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

  13. #53
    unofan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Omaha, NE, USA
    Posts
    18,552

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

    Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
    The problem is people won't learn they aren't on the roles til they show up on election day and can't vote. If you're in a state with same day registration, no problem. But most states don't have that.

    And it's not like we take your right to free speech away if you don't petition the government for X # of years.

  14. #54
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,385

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

    Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
    I'd like to see the benefit-detriment analysis, along with some reliable data.

  15. #55
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    36,373

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by LynahFan View Post
    Okay, I've had my conservative leanings in the past, but feel like I've redeemed myself more lately (last 10 years or so).

    Still, I just can't get excited about all this "taking away of rights." With rights come responsibilities, right? Why shouldn't voters have the responsibility to keep the rolls updated every 5-10 years? It hardly seems that burdensome to me. If someone does inadvertently get dropped, it's not like they're convicted felons who will not be allowed to re-register. I assume all the normal voter registration channels are open to them - nobody is having their "rights" taken away.
    So if I dont use my right to assemble they can take that from me too?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #56
    there's a good buck in that racket.
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    39,493

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by alfablue View Post
    A problem for the parties that the choices suck, perhaps.

    Declining to vote is a choice just as much as voting is, as can be seen in the last election. Now you don't have the choice, apparently.
    if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice
    a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

  17. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,437
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    So if I dont use my right to assemble they can take that from me too?
    Just stop. No oneís right to vote has been taken away. Thatís like saying that an 18 year old, or someone who moves, or someone who changes their name has had their right taken from them. Itís still there.

    Itís illogical to think states have to keep you on the registration rolls in perpetuity, so all we are really debating is how long should they wait.

  18. #58
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,512

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Just stop. No one’s right to vote has been taken away.
    If they don't know they were unregistered and show up and can't vote then yes, that's exactly what happened.

  19. #59
    I'm the Problem ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    67,169

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by trixR4kids View Post
    If they don't know they were unregistered and show up and can't vote then yes, that's exactly what happened.
    Logic has no business here.
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: Another First Round Exit.

  20. #60
    Just a boring user.
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Walking to Yost
    Posts
    9,507

    Re: SCOTUS 10: Pack the Court!

    Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Just stop. No oneís right to vote has been taken away. Thatís like saying that an 18 year old, or someone who moves, or someone who changes their name has had their right taken from them. Itís still there.

    Itís illogical to think states have to keep you on the registration rolls in perpetuity, so all we are really debating is how long should they wait.
    How is it logical to take someone's registration away?

    Why is it a requirement to vote just to be able to vote in the next election without re-registering?

    How do you know that the lack of voting wasn't a problem with the polling stations? How can you be 100% sure that the problem is due to the voter and not something else?

    WHY IS THE CORE ASSUMPTION THAT THE VOTER IS IN THE WRONG? Voting IS our right.

    And since we can put some pretty drastic rules onto the 15th Amendment like that, why can't we do the same to the 2nd?????

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •