Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 80

Thread: The UP

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by manurespreader View Post
    IMHO the weather is identical in the two places with Marquette marginally colder for marginally longer. But at least you can fly directly into Marquette. There is a small museum in Houghton at Dee stadium commemorating the birthplace of professional hockey. It's worth a trip up.
    This is all I know of Dee. Actually if it were not for the folks here it'd be all I'd know of the UP.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  2. #22
    Teaching you how to Bucky.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A den.
    Posts
    3,601

    Re: The UP

    November 9th and 10th? Beware as that weekend is precisely 'When the gales of November come early'.

    Hmm... you could go down to the harbor after the first game and look out for the lights of the Ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as 43 years earlier on the night of November 9th, 1975 she was directly North of Marquette before turning down for Whitefish Bay. On the evening of November 10th, 1975 she foundered 100 miles east of Marquette, shortly after 7:00 pm

    Good chance you'll see something as legend has it that she and her crew are doomed to repeat their ill-fated journey again and again for all eternity until the stolen Ship's Bell (which incidentally, is located at Whitefish Point in the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum.) is returned and they can finally rest at peace.*

    The reason I'm aware of this though is that as a youngster in early September 1975 my family took a trip to the Soo locks. Having never really been anywhere up to that point in my young life, and never having seen a skyscraper or ship of any kind in person, it left quite an impression in general, but more specifically because 'Big Fitz' traversed the locks while I was there. I would have probably remembered her for a good while anyway because she was somewhat of a 'celebrity' ship, holding many, many speed and tonnage records on the Great Lakes. That, her immense size, and the fact that several of her crew came out on deck and interacted with the crowd as she was lifted in the lock only yards away from us, made her stand out far above all the rest. In my mind's eye I can still picture the fellas waving and laughing and talking with the crowd, just as I can still picture my Dad holding the paper with the headline: LAKER SINKS; 29 LOST over a picture of the mighty Fitz just two months later.

    Here she is in the Soo locking down: Edit: Oops. Obviously copied the wrong pic, but I'll leave it as it's still the Soo locks. Instead here's an old video of her transiting the locks, which gives an impression of how close you are to the ship and crew there.






    *TBH I'm pretty sure that's a legend I just made up two minutes ago.
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 06-06-2018 at 09:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

  3. #23
    Defacing this tagline is a MAX foul Twitch Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Shouting it from the Chugach Mountains
    Posts
    17,744

    Re: The UP

    Go to the Hilltop outside Marquette and get a cinnamon roll the size of a small child.

    And if you want to talk topographical nightmares, head to Houghton and go for a spin around the Yooper Loop.
    Michigan Tech Huskies Pep Band: Drink It In, Maaaaaan.
    Twitter Goodness: Twitch_Boy

  4. #24
    Inspired by Actual Events
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    da tech
    Posts
    5,862

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Go to the Hilltop outside Marquette and get a cinnamon roll the size of a small child.

    And if you want to talk topographical nightmares, head to Houghton and go for a spin around the Yooper Loop.
    Ha, the loop seems a little easier for people since roundabouts have caught on elsewhere, but it still amuses me to come upon some unfortunate parked in the middle, wondering how to go north, while the commuters are dodging them at 40 mph.
    Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
    USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,480

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by geezer View Post
    Ha, the loop seems a little easier for people since roundabouts have caught on elsewhere, but it still amuses me to come upon some unfortunate parked in the middle, wondering how to go north, while the commuters are dodging them at 40 mph.
    I weep for the pour souls who's minds explode on Diverging Diamond Interchanges. Also, I believe it was MDOT who put a compilation video together that showed how to NOT drive through a roundabout after they put them in on US41 in Ishpeming. The locals seem to have gotten much better though.



    Kep, I'll have a much longer post soon with some ideas for ya.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

    Live Radio from 100.3

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,374

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    November 9th and 10th? Beware as that weekend is precisely 'When the gales of November come early'.

    Hmm... you could go down to the harbor after the first game and look out for the lights of the Ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as 43 years earlier on the night of November 9th, 1975 she was directly North of Marquette before turning down for Whitefish Bay. On the evening of November 10th, 1975 she foundered 100 miles east of Marquette, shortly after 7:00 pm

    Good chance you'll see something as legend has it that she and her crew are doomed to repeat their ill-fated journey again and again for all eternity until the stolen Ship's Bell (which incidentally, is located at Whitefish Point in the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum.) is returned and they can finally rest at peace.*

    The reason I'm aware of this though is that as a youngster in early September 1975 my family took a trip to the Soo locks. Having never really been anywhere up to that point in my young life, and never having seen a skyscraper or ship of any kind in person, it left quite an impression in general, but more specifically because 'Big Fitz' traversed the locks while I was there. I would have probably remembered her for a good while anyway because she was somewhat of a 'celebrity' ship, holding many, many speed and tonnage records on the Great Lakes. That, her immense size, and the fact that several of her crew came out on deck and interacted with the crowd as she was lifted in the lock only yards away from us, made her stand out far above all the rest. In my mind's eye I can still picture the fellas waving and laughing and talking with the crowd, just as I can still picture my Dad holding the paper with the headline: LAKER SINKS; 29 LOST over a picture of the mighty Fitz just two months later.

    Here she is in the Soo locking down: Edit: Oops. Obviously copied the wrong pic, but I'll leave it as it's still the Soo locks. Instead here's an old video of her transiting the locks, which gives an impression of how close you are to the ship and crew there.






    *TBH I'm pretty sure that's a legend I just made up two minutes ago.
    Great post, Wisko.

  7. #27
    Let's Go 'Tute! Ralph Baer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Washington, D.C.
    Posts
    190,764

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    November 9th and 10th? Beware as that weekend is precisely 'When the gales of November come early'.

    Hmm... you could go down to the harbor after the first game and look out for the lights of the Ghost of the Edmund Fitzgerald, as 43 years earlier on the night of November 9th, 1975 she was directly North of Marquette before turning down for Whitefish Bay. On the evening of November 10th, 1975 she foundered 100 miles east of Marquette, shortly after 7:00 pm

    Good chance you'll see something as legend has it that she and her crew are doomed to repeat their ill-fated journey again and again for all eternity until the stolen Ship's Bell (which incidentally, is located at Whitefish Point in the Great Lakes Ship Wreck Museum.) is returned and they can finally rest at peace.*

    The reason I'm aware of this though is that as a youngster in early September 1975 my family took a trip to the Soo locks. Having never really been anywhere up to that point in my young life, and never having seen a skyscraper or ship of any kind in person, it left quite an impression in general, but more specifically because 'Big Fitz' traversed the locks while I was there. I would have probably remembered her for a good while anyway because she was somewhat of a 'celebrity' ship, holding many, many speed and tonnage records on the Great Lakes. That, her immense size, and the fact that several of her crew came out on deck and interacted with the crowd as she was lifted in the lock only yards away from us, made her stand out far above all the rest. In my mind's eye I can still picture the fellas waving and laughing and talking with the crowd, just as I can still picture my Dad holding the paper with the headline: LAKER SINKS; 29 LOST over a picture of the mighty Fitz just two months later.

    Here she is in the Soo locking down: Edit: Oops. Obviously copied the wrong pic, but I'll leave it as it's still the Soo locks. Instead here's an old video of her transiting the locks, which gives an impression of how close you are to the ship and crew there.






    *TBH I'm pretty sure that's a legend I just made up two minutes ago.
    I hadn't realized that the Edmund Fitzgerald went down on Kristallnacht.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by aparch View Post
    Kep, I'll have a much longer post soon with some ideas for ya.
    Well, mostly I'm just looking for people to drink and talk hockey with.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  9. #29
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,396

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, mostly I'm just looking for people to drink and talk hockey with.
    Sadly, there's no good hockey talk found in the UP these days. That's mostly due to the lack of good hockey in the UP these days.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    Sadly, there's no good hockey talk found in the UP these days. That's mostly due to the lack of good hockey in the UP these days.
    Didn't both NMU and MTU have very good teams in the past few years?

    Also: you didn't say there's no drinking.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  11. #31
    wubba lubba dub dub
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    North Haverbrook
    Posts
    30,396

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Didn't both NMU and MTU have very good teams in the past few years?

    Also: you didn't say there's no drinking.
    They're good by WCHA standards.

    There must be drinking. Lots of drinking. MTU has no women, what else are they to do? NMU has women, but they've seen the men. What else are they to do?
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

    Women and I have an understanding. They tend to stay away from me, and I tend to understand that I'm repulsive to them. It's not my favorite understanding.

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    They're good by WCHA standards.

    NMU has women, but they've seen the men. What else are they to do?
    The visitors?
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  13. #33

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    20904/13677/07677/07621
    Posts
    34,340

    Re: The UP

    Take him surfing on Lake Superior.

  14. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by joecct View Post
    Take him surfing on Lake Superior.
    That's sounds fun!

    (I have never been surfing.)

    What's the water, 32.1 degrees F?
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  15. #35
    If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    At a Coffee Shop or out running
    Posts
    39,560

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    Well, mostly I'm just looking for people to drink and talk hockey with.
    I'll probably be there.

    Food ideas:

    Donckers (great breakfast)
    Portside Inn
    Casa Calabria (the garlic bread)
    Vango's (good gyros)
    Border Grill
    twitter: PipersHouse920, instagram: bobambermarie
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    Adventures With Amber Marie

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    7,374

    Re: The UP

    Is there such a thing as an honest-to-goodness blue-collar commercial fishing, sailing or dock worker's bar in Marquette, or is that a thing of the past?

  17. #37
    Still upright
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SE Michigan
    Posts
    6,436

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by St. Clown View Post
    They're good by WCHA standards.

    There must be drinking. Lots of drinking. MTU has no women, what else are they to do? NMU has women, but they've seen the men. What else are they to do?
    Gee I thought you lost to a wcha team this year. Must be dreaming I guess. Never mind.

    Cornell played UAH I believe last year, so they are already familiar with the WCHA.
    MTU: Three time NCAA champions.

    It never get's easier, you just go faster. -Greg Lemond

  18. #38
    Anti-Semantic Brenthoven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    113,418

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch Boy View Post
    Go to the Hilltop outside Marquette and get a cinnamon roll the size of a small child.

    And if you want to talk topographical nightmares, head to Houghton and go for a spin around the Yooper Loop.
    F THE GOD**** YOOPER LOOPER ABORTION PIECE OF SH* ABORTION INTERSECTION. THEY SHOULD CALL IT THE LOOPY CU*.


    That was an exact quote the first time I ever encountered that monstrosity of engineering and road-planning.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Nov 1999
    Location
    Further on down the road
    Posts
    60,125

    Re: The UP

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    THE LOOPY CU*.
    As God is my witness, I don't know what goes in that asterisk.
    It's a book of our true stories
    True stories that can't be denied
    It's more than true it actually happened
    We're coming rougher every time

    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Living from my car
    Posts
    21,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    As God is my witness, I don't know what goes in that asterisk.
    nt.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •