Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Originally posted by vicb View Post
    They will add the men's program because "it can be another revenue generating program". Will they add a revenue losing (most likely) women's hockey team later or some other women's program(s) sooner that will sustain smaller losses to get into Title IX compliance?
    And if Illinois adds women's hockey, the B1G is only 1 team shy of forming a B1G Women's Hockey Conference. What's to stop them from then saying lets form the league by inviting Minn Duluth (Most likely IMHO) as a member in that sport only similar to Notre Dame in the Men's B1G Hockey. Gives them the 6 teams min they need but screws royally the rest of the WCHA and CHA.
    UMD doesn't have the status which Notre Dame or Johns Hopkins (lacrosse) has. I wouldn't expect them to do that.
    sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
      My next point is addressed to the full board, not you individually. But it seems necessary to state for the record that ties between the long time B1G schools run deep and go way beyond hockey. Many outsiders can't seem to grasp that; some refuse to even try. But here's a thumb nail sketch:
      The relationship among the Big 10 schools runs deep and goes way beyond athletics. It is as much an academic partnership as it is an athletic one. Many departments have annual Big 10 meetings, and there is a good deal of coordination among academic programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
        UMD doesn't have the status which Notre Dame or Johns Hopkins (lacrosse) has. I wouldn't expect them to do that.
        Beyond that, there isn't much (read: any) pressure to establish women's hockey as a conference sport, like there was with lacrosse and men's hockey, so there isn't any reason why the conference would start looking around to find that one more team.

Comment

Originally posted by Still Eeyore View Post
          The relationship among the Big 10 schools runs deep and goes way beyond athletics. It is as much an academic partnership as it is an athletic one. Many departments have annual Big 10 meetings, and there is a good deal of coordination among academic programs.
          I couldn't agree more.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
            I wouldn't guess anything coming soon at all... Still no answer on this process with Illinois and it was a year (or so) prior. It would be great if Michigan and Michigan State would step up but it is going to take a major donation to do it, according to earlier reports from school officials. I (like to think) it's inevitable. Would like to see it sooner than later.
            As a former season ticket holder for a decade, the University of Michigan starting a women's program would require one thing that no Michigan fan or administrator wants to deal with in the near future: the replacement of Yost Ice Arena. There is simply no space to build the appropriate locker rooms, offices, or anything else in or around the arena. In a decade the university is probably going to have to have this conversation, but right now, I don't see it happening.
            FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
              As a former season ticket holder for a decade, the University of Michigan starting a women's program would require one thing that no Michigan fan or administrator wants to deal with in the near future: the replacement of Yost Ice Arena. There is simply no space to build the appropriate locker rooms, offices, or anything else in or around the arena. In a decade the university is probably going to have to have this conversation, but right now, I don't see it happening.
              I remember reading an article a while back where Jim Hackett (then the Interim Athletic Director at Michigan) said it would take a large donation to start a Women's Varsity program. Largest expense being an ice arena. The Men's and Women's teams would not share a facility because that's "not the Michigan way". Not sure Warde Manuel feels the same way. I think (yes, just my opinion) having Varsity programs at these schools would really help drive increased participation for girls in Michigan. At a grass-roots level, MAHA really needs to study the Minnesota model.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                I'm wondering how you would recruit quality players to an LIU-Brooklyn.
                Barclays Center, the new Ralph.

Comment

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
                  Clarkson has proven that you DO NOT need to play in the WCHA during the regular season in order to prepare to win a National Championship.
                  IMO, in the years that Clarkson won the NCAAs, the ECAC was at least the equal of the WCHA, if not better. It would seem like strange timing for Ohio State to bolt from the WCHA for a supposed competitive advantage in the immediate aftermath of its first national tournament. While Clarkson has proven that a team can win it all coming from the ECAC, the same has not been shown in the CHA. To their credit, the Lakers always gave a very good account of themselves in the NCAAs, but there were years where I would think it would have aided them to have had some tougher competition in February. As Robert Morris and Penn State continue to improve, that will increase the chances of a CHA team becoming champ.
                  "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                  And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                    IMO, in the years that Clarkson won the NCAAs, the ECAC was at least the equal of the WCHA, if not better. It would seem like strange timing for Ohio State to bolt from the WCHA for a supposed competitive advantage in the immediate aftermath of its first national tournament. While Clarkson has proven that a team can win it all coming from the ECAC, the same has not been shown in the CHA. To their credit, the Lakers always gave a very good account of themselves in the NCAAs, but there were years where I would think it would have aided them to have had some tougher competition in February. As Robert Morris and Penn State continue to improve, that will increase the chances of a CHA team becoming champ.
                    Very sharp post. While I believe the CHA would be a better fit for OSU I never said it'll ever happen. I simply believe they would do consistently better there over the course of time than the WCHA. I try not to overthink these things. I'm just stating my opinion and not losing sleep over these posts like some others clearly do especially when they don't agree. Lol.

Comment

Very sharp post. While I believe the CHA would be a better fit for OSU I never said it'll ever happen. I simply believe they would do consistently better there over the course of time than the WCHA. I try not to overthink these things. I'm just stating my opinion and not losing sleep over these posts like some others clearly do especially when they don't agree. Lol.

LIU Brooklyn??

LOL yes, a rich hockey tradition and just a wonderful institution...recruiting will be a breeze. lo..

they have no shot.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                        LIU Brooklyn??

LOL yes, a rich hockey tradition and just a wonderful institution...recruiting will be a breeze. lo..

they have no shot.
                        No shot of what?! Winning the D1 national championship?! No kidding, dumb*ss! Guess what? There are 30 other current D1 teams that have never won it before and most of them have no shot either. Only 4 different schools have won the 18 NCAA championships but that obviously doesn't prevent the other 30 schools from fielding a team and trying every year.

Yes, this team will most likely always be a low-end and possibly even a middle of the road team with little chance of great success but who cares?! That's obviously not the point. As long as the school wants to support the program, it gives opportunities for female players to play at the D1 level just like RIT, Lindenwood, Penn State, Union, Brown, RPI, Dartmouth, Yale, UConn, Vermont, Merrimack, St. Cloud, Mankato, and others. As long as all these middle and low-end programs have financial support then they provide D1 women's hockey opportunities, unlike UND, Niagara, and Wayne State who pulled the plug on their programs. So welcome LIU-Brooklyn to D1 women's hockey!!!! I hope you support your program for years and years to come!!
                        Last edited by shelfit; 06-13-2018, 01:32 AM.

Comment

No shot of what?! Winning the D1 national championship?! No kidding, dumb*ss! Guess what? There are 30 other current D1 teams that have never won it before and most of them have no shot either. Only 4 different schools have won the 18 NCAA championships but that obviously doesn't prevent the other 30 schools from fielding a team and trying every year.

Yes, this team will most likely always be a low-end and possibly even a middle of the road team with little chance of great success but who cares?! That's obviously not the point. As long as the school wants to support the program, it gives opportunities for female players to play at the D1 level just like RIT, Lindenwood, Penn State, Union, Brown, RPI, Dartmouth, Yale, UConn, Vermont, Merrimack, St. Cloud, Mankato, and others. As long as all these middle and low-end programs have financial support then they provide D1 women's hockey opportunities, unlike UND, Niagara, and Wayne State who pulled the plug on their programs. So welcome LIU-Brooklyn to D1 women's hockey!!!! I hope you support your program for years and years to come!!
                          It's this.

And who knows? There are probably plenty of high schoolers who would love the opportunity to go to school in NYC and continue playing their sport. These non-revenue sports tend to have more of the smaller schools that punch above their weight. I mean, JMU just won the WLAX title (). Also if Clarkson were just starting a women's hockey program, we'd probably be saying the same things about them right now -- what is there to suggest that a little school like Clarkson would have any success?

Everyone had to build their own legacy at some point. And the main point here is that our sport is expanding, not contracting, in a time where things looked pretty grim for a bit after UND folded. It's exciting and good. Full stop.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
                            It's this.

And who knows? There are probably plenty of high schoolers who would love the opportunity to go to school in NYC and continue playing their sport. These non-revenue sports tend to have more of the smaller schools that punch above their weight. I mean, JMU just won the WLAX title (). Also if Clarkson were just starting a women's hockey program, we'd probably be saying the same things about them right now -- what is there to suggest that a little school like Clarkson would have any success?

Everyone had to build their own legacy at some point. And the main point here is that our sport is expanding, not contracting, in a time where things looked pretty grim for a bit after UND folded. It's exciting and good. Full stop.
                            It is a small college, and yet, there are those who love it.
                            OK, so I stole it.
                            CCT '77 & '78
                            4 kids
                            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Some of us laughed at the notion of a NWHL. Incongruity, thy name is women’s hockey.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                It is a small college, and yet, there are those who love it.
                                OK, so I stole it.
                                Watch it - I'm sending the copyright cops after you
                                2007-2008 ECAC East/NESCAC Interlock Pick 'em winner
                                2007-2008 Last Person Standing Winner,
                                2013-2014 Last Person Standing Winner (tie)
                                2016-2017 Last Person Standing Winner

Comment

Working...
                                X