Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

(Comrade Fox)

Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

https://twitter.com/CHN_AdamWodon/st...86488884105217

Code:
    @CHN_AdamWodon

I got confirmation that LIU-Brooklyn is adding a D-I Women's hockey program for 2019-20 and is looking for a head coach - but has not publicized this fact, and doesn't plan to. Which is really weird IMO.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-20-4
    Women's: 10-15-4

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Re: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

I've never heard of LIU-Brooklyn, but they could come to the CHA and let Lindenwood go where they belong (the WCHA).

Quote Originally Posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
    I've never heard of LIU-Brooklyn, but they could come to the CHA and let Lindenwood go where they belong (the WCHA).
    Blackbirds.

What's interesting to me is that LIU Post is also starting a team, although they're going D2.

This isn't the last bit of "National Collegiate" -level expansion to come.

(Comrade Fox)

They're in the NEC with Robert Morris for other sports, so the CHA would make the most sense.
    https://twitter.com/TheVTHockeyBlog
    https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
    NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

UVM record in games I've attended as a student:

Men's: 21-20-4
    Women's: 10-15-4

/r/collegehockey moderator
    Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Let's go RED!

Yes. The WCHA needs another team to fix their awful playoff format.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Yes. The WCHA needs another team to fix their awful playoff format.
    Does Lindenwood have to fly to all their CHA games? How many flights would they have to take if they joined WCHA? Since we’re doing “hockey is a regional sport” today, is OSU joining the CHA? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsay View Post
    Does Lindenwood have to fly to all their CHA games? How many flights would they have to take if they joined WCHA? Since we’re doing “hockey is a regional sport” today, is OSU joining the CHA? ;-)
    Ohio State being in the CHA makes more travel sense than Ohio State being in the WCHA, and Lindenwood can go keep the WCHA playoff format messed up after Ohio State leaves.

It all makes sense so it is not likely to happen!

Quote Originally Posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
    https://twitter.com/CHN_AdamWodon/st...86488884105217

Code:
    @CHN_AdamWodon

I got confirmation that LIU-Brooklyn is adding a D-I Women's hockey program for 2019-20 and is looking for a head coach - but has not publicized this fact, and doesn't plan to. Which is really weird IMO.
    This seems unlikely. Confirmation from whom and why would they not publicize it and how are they going to field a team in 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    This seems unlikely. Confirmation from whom and why would they not publicize it and how are they going to field a team in 2019?
    I confirmed it as well with the athletic department.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
    I confirmed it as well with the athletic department.
    Ok I stand corrected. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rightnut View Post
    Ok I stand corrected. Very interesting.
    Oh also -- I was told they're going to "announce" this stuff once they're accepted into a conference. So they're definitely seeking one (as opposed to doing the SHU independent thing). But I also did some digging and was told that as of today there has been no communication between the CHA and LIU Brooklyn. Obviously that could be a lie, and obviously that doesn't mean that there won't be in the future, but that's what I was told.

TBH, LIU Brooklyn to the CHA and Lindenwood to the WCHA makes too much sense not to happen. Lindenwood isn't a trash program; the WCHA should probably think itself lucky that the Lions are going to fall into their lap to solve their NoDak problem.

There is always the scheduling alliance...

I wrote this up for TIG with as much detail as I was able to find out (which isn't really all that much but still): https://www.theicegarden.com/2018/6/...m-in-2019-2020

Ohio State being in the CHA makes more travel sense than Ohio State being in the WCHA, and Lindenwood can go keep the WCHA playoff format messed up after Ohio State leaves.
    Bus travel is cheaper than air travel. Dollars matter, of course. But as far as I'm concerned, that would be the only net gain of a switch to the CHA. Among other things, the time spent traveling would likely increase.

I'd acknowledge that being in the same conference as Penn State would be a good thing. But losing the conference partnership with Minnesota & Wisconsin is too high a price to pay. To say nothing of the fact we now have almost 20 years of history with Bemidji, Duluth, Mankato & St. Cloud.

For these and many other reasons, I remain opposed to the switch. But since I read Lindsay's original comment as mostly whimsical, I'll leave it at that.

As for Lindenwood, having them join the WCHA sounds like a win-win, assuming that doesn't screw things up for the CHA. It would be good for the WCHA to return to 8 members.

Quote Originally Posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    To say nothing of the fact we now have almost 20 years of history with Bemidji, Duluth, Mankato & St. Cloud.

For these and many other reasons, I remain opposed to the switch. But since I read Lindsay's original comment as mostly whimsical, I'll leave it at that
    Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. They’d be at ten teams, if it weren’t for programs getting cut, or leaving to a more geographically appropriate conference. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.

Nothing seems set at this point, and the WCHA has already released its schedule so this seems at least a year away which is good I guess.

Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. They’d be at ten teams, if it weren’t for programs getting cut, or leaving to a more geographically appropriate conference. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.

Nothing seems set at this point, and the WCHA has already released its schedule so this seems at least a year away which is good I guess.
    I made a joke of OSU joining CHA and got toasted for it because someone assumed I was serious. It would be a great move for OSU but not so good for the quality of opponent in the WCHA. From a logistics stand point it makes sense but it is not what my heart wants. Except for a couple of years they succumbed to the goon squad OSU has had some good years and I'd hate to lose them

Yes whimsical, but it’s unfortunate to see the CHA potentially lose another team. So the prospect of losing Lindenwood and going down to five teams is disappointing.
    If nothing happens until 2019-20, and the conferences do what seems like the obvious choice, the CHA can replace Lindenwood with LIU-Brooklyn and remain at six teams, and the WCHA can add Lindenwood (and keep Ohio State) and be at eight teams - everybody wins.

can't stand Linwood's rink...bad memories...UGH

Thread Information