Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Report: LIU-Brooklyn adding D-I women's hockey for 2019-20

Without going into detail, I will say that Sacred Heart is indeed joining a conference in the near future, along with a handful of other teams, including a couple schools that don't currently have a team.

SUSPENSE!
    Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
    Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
    Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
      If CHA loses Lindenwood, I do hope LIU-Brooklyn joins the CHA. I don’t think they are interchangeable - a brand new program vs Lindenwood...
      That would be a huge difference, preparing for Lindenwood vs preparing for LIU-Brooklyn. Lindenwood is always a wild card - you never know who is going to show up, and if they do show up ready to go, which they usually do, you're going to get pushed hard. Those are the games I like, so Lindenwood would be missed for that if they jump to the WCHA and LIU-Brooklyn takes their CHA spot.

It will take LIU some time to get to that level.
      For me the hope would be that LIU-Brooklyn joins the league, and quickly finds a way to compete, and stays in the league.
      I'm wondering how you would recruit quality players to an LIU-Brooklyn. Having never heard of them, what's the draw? I'd rather keep a very competitive Lindenwood in the CHA than to replace them with a team just filling up a #6 spot in the conference.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
        It is not surprising that there would be rumors about Lindenwood moving, it was suggested long before I brought it up. But, if I recall correctly (and I am sure if I don't I will be sufficiently chastised for the failure) that it takes 2 years lead time...
        This topic is a bit of a minefield, isn't it? There can be a fine line between a constructive proposal and poaching. Similarly, there's a line between a flattering invitation and unwanted advances.

But nothing you said about potential switches was "over the line"...
        Last edited by pgb-ohio; 06-08-2018, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post

I'm wondering how you would recruit quality players to an LIU-Brooklyn. Having never heard of them, what's the draw?
          Yeah, I don’t know. I imagine it all comes down to how lucky they get in their coaching search, and what their off campus ice arrangement is like. For some players, I think there might be some allure in NYC. I don’t know who would have an easier time recruiting, LIU or Lindenwood, but we will watch it unfold in a couple years.

Comment

Originally posted by ne7minder View Post
            It is not surprising that there would be rumors about Lindenwood moving, it was suggested long before I brought it up. But, if I recall correctly (and I am sure if I don't I will be sufficiently chastised for the failure)
            Hahaha. Yes, the Lindenwood rumors started as soon as UND cut their program. It’s totally understandable. But Grant’s article made me think it was actually a real thing and not just wondering by fans.

Comment

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post

From the outside looking in, I hadn't previously heard this sentiment regarding Lindenwood. Perhaps you're being playful and serious in equal doses? But if people from Lindenwood and the CHA actually feel that way, then the rest of us should leave well enough alone.
              Yes playful and serious. I speak for myself; don’t know the opinions of any league or Lindenwood. I understand realignment in a growth sport is inevitable for a league that is geographically in an area without a ton of teams. But it’s not nothing, seeing the makeup of the league change as often as it did for a while there.

When Niagara cut their program the CHA would be back at 3 teams; luckily RIT, Penn State, and Lindenwood came along at just the right time and turned a negative into a positive. Impossible not to have some affection for a program that helps a league take that step forward.

Comment

While ANY new programs are most welcome, what women's hockey really needs in order to assure its future growth is some of the larger schools in the Illinois/Michigan/Indiana area to start programs. That would help fill the geographical void between the East and the West and make the cost of travel less of an issue.
                Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                  While ANY new programs are most welcome, what women's hockey really needs in order to assure its future growth is some of the larger schools in the Illinois/Michigan/Indiana area to start programs. That would help fill the geographical void between the East and the West and make the cost of travel less of an issue.
                  I agree 100%. But will it ever happen is the question.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post
                    https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...key/106716122/

Remember this was talk just a few months back. I don't know where they are in the process, but it would be great for growing the game if a Michigan school did get a D1 program together. Frankly, it should be U of M or MSU, but if Oakland University can step up and build a program that would be good for all. I think any team from Michigan would become an instant powerhouse. There is a wide net that could be cast for recruiting with the Canadian borders so close, and those Midwest girls that want to stay close to the region would have another destination. All win/win.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeymakesmebroke View Post
                      https://www.detroitnews.com/story/sp...key/106716122/

Remember this was talk just a few months back. I don't know where they are in the process, but it would be great for growing the game if a Michigan school did get a D1 program together. Frankly, it should be U of M or MSU, but if Oakland University can step up and build a program that would be good for all. I think any team from Michigan would become an instant powerhouse. There is a wide net that could be cast for recruiting with the Canadian borders so close, and those Midwest girls that want to stay close to the region would have another destination. All win/win.
                      I wouldn't guess anything coming soon at all... Still no answer on this process with Illinois and it was a year (or so) prior. It would be great if Michigan and Michigan State would step up but it is going to take a major donation to do it, according to earlier reports from school officials. I (like to think) it's inevitable. Would like to see it sooner than later.

Comment

Originally posted by DDad16 View Post
                        I wouldn't guess anything coming soon at all... Still no answer on this process with Illinois and it was a year (or so) prior. It would be great if Michigan and Michigan State would step up but it is going to take a major donation to do it, according to earlier reports from school officials. I (like to think) it's inevitable. Would like to see it sooner than later.
                        This is far from inevitable. NoDak dropped this sport despite a thriving program and deep dedication to men's hockey. Given that, why would Michigan, M State, U Illinois, or even Oakland pick it up? They must currently be in Title IX compliance. They would have to add a men's sport to balance adding W's hockey to continue compliance. Maybe in the case of Illinois and Oakland they could add both mens and womens hockey together. But again - why would they do that? Sadly, hockey is a money losing sport that is very expensive - given tight budgets it is hard to imagine adding hockey these days.

I see Grant's note that SHU is joing a conference with a bunch of schools that don't have a hockey. I won't say I'll believe it when I see it since he generally is right (except on BC winning natty champs!), but I will say it will be interesting to see who those schools are and why they are adding the sport.

Comment

Illinois wants to "green light a D-1 program" by the end of the calendar year:

https://247sports.com/college/illino...gram-118843301

Comment

Originally posted by ZedLeppelin View Post
                            Illinois wants to "green light a D-1 program" by the end of the calendar year:

https://247sports.com/college/illino...gram-118843301
                            Thank you. Looks like the green light would be for a men’s program initially with potential of adding a women’s team later which would only make good sense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lindsay View Post
                              Yes playful and serious. I speak for myself; don’t know the opinions of any league or Lindenwood. I understand realignment in a growth sport is inevitable for a league that is geographically in an area without a ton of teams. But it’s not nothing, seeing the makeup of the league change as often as it did for a while there.

When Niagara cut their program the CHA would be back at 3 teams; luckily RIT, Penn State, and Lindenwood came along at just the right time and turned a negative into a positive. Impossible not to have some affection for a program that helps a league take that step forward.
                              Absolutely. Those shared experiences matter.

My next point is addressed to the full board, not you individually. But it seems necessary to state for the record that ties between the long time B1G schools run deep and go way beyond hockey. Many outsiders can't seem to grasp that; some refuse to even try. But here's a thumb nail sketch:

Minnesota & Wisconsin are charter members of what became the Big Ten. Play began in 1896. As in the 19th Century. Ohio State joined the league in 1912. As such, these schools have been partners in Athletics for over 100 years. Academically, they're very similar institutions. Geographically, all of the multi-generational members (except Iowa) come from what was originally America's Northwest Territory - the Birthplace of the Midwest.

Yes, things change, and that's OK. The full conference has expanded both Eastward & Westward. And obviously the relationship between our sport and the conference has been uncharacteristically unstable and difficult.

Nevertheless, competing with MN & WI will always be special, due to the shared history. Yes, even in a separate conference structure like the Women's WCHA. It's not the only factor that matters, of course. But the Big Ten is one the oldest and most enduring parts of the college sports landscape. I'm not saying that people are obligated to like this. But it should be accurately understood.

Comment

Originally posted by Puckdrop14 View Post
                                Thank you. Looks like the green light would be for a men’s program initially with potential of adding a women’s team later which would only make good sense.
                                They will add the men's program because "it can be another revenue generating program". Will they add a revenue losing (most likely) women's hockey team later or some other women's program(s) sooner that will sustain smaller losses to get into Title IX compliance?
                                And if Illinois adds women's hockey, the B1G is only 1 team shy of forming a B1G Women's Hockey Conference. What's to stop them from then saying lets form the league by inviting Minn Duluth (Most likely IMHO) as a member in that sport only similar to Notre Dame in the Men's B1G Hockey. Gives them the 6 teams min they need but screws royally the rest of the WCHA and CHA.
                                Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
                                And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
                                WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
                                If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
                                X